Like old times.......

XTreme

2 minutes ago, Clive said:

95% loss in right ear....90% in left ear, so by their assessment...deaf.

Can hear little bits with my hearing aids, what I can hear is distorted though.

Do you have white noise, though? That can drive people insane, and is quite a scary thought.

I am quite afraid of that kind of shit so never go on a long ride without ear plugs.

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Do you have white noise, though? That can drive people insane, and is quite a scary thought.

I am quite afraid of that kind of shit so never go on a long ride without ear plugs.

I have raging tinnitus😕.. @Pedro

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Shit! :classic_ohmy:

Do they know what caused it Clive?

Could be just my age, or could be small tumours on the nerves, which the guy said is quite common, but thankfully not life threatening, and little they can do about it😕

• Sad 1

Just now, Pedro said:

That sucks. I hope  you can sleep. 

Strangely I have learned to ignore it, but I do have a white noise generator (like a little radio)

for when it really bad.

• Like 1

Just now, Clive said:

Strangely I have learned to ignore it, but I do have a white noise generator (like a little radio)

for when it really bad.

That scares me big time. I learned my lesson when riding back from when I met Pete in Spain, got home and had a shower, sat down after and I could still hear the helmet noise ... I didn’t like that and it lasted for a couple of hours 

• Like 3

My tinnitus started very mildly, when I laid in bed at night it sounded like sound of the surf/sea.....but quiet.

I used ear plugs for years, but they did not stop the progress of my tinnitus.

Look after your hearing @Pedro....get the best ear plugs you can buy......once this shit starts it's a downward spiral.

• Like 1

That scares me big time. I learned my lesson when riding back from when I met Pete in Spain, got home and had a shower, sat down after and I could still hear the helmet noise ... I didn’t like that and it lasted for a couple of hours 

We all rode for years with no ear protection......my right ear isn't too good because of that.

I wore ear plugs for about 10 years but I found they were causing ear infections.....so I don't bother now.

If I had to do a longer distance at higher speeds then I would use them for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clive said:

My tinnitus started very mildly, when I laid in bed at night it sounded like sound of the surf/sea.....but quiet.

I used ear plugs for years, but they did not stop the progress of my tinnitus.

Look after your hearing @Pedro....get the best ear plugs you can buy......once this shit starts it's a downward spiral.

I’ve tried and bought a set of custom plugs, but they were shit. I use foam ones that are pretty good for a few uses before getting replaced, I’m ok with that as they are really cheap. Won’t ride any less though, touring keeps me sane.

• Like 2

I do miss music🎶 I can hear a noise when I turn radio up to nearly full....but it's just a distorted sound....sink don't bother.

But wife is becoming a expert on noises on the car😀 telling me about squeaks and rattles......just need her to get competent with spanners.😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I’ve tried and bought a set of custom plugs, but they were shit. I use foam ones that are pretty good for a few uses before getting replaced, I’m ok with that as they are really cheap. Won’t ride any less though, touring keeps me sane.

Any earplug is better than no earplug.....👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clive said:

Any earplug is better than no earplug.....👍

That’s my reasoning, also they seem to protect more than others if you put them on right, I’ll surely do it as it’s also a matter of comfort now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

We all rode for years with no ear protection......my right ear isn't too good because of that.

I wore ear plugs for about 10 years but I found they were causing ear infections.....so I don't bother now.

If I had to do a longer distance at higher speeds then I would use them for that.

Yep, back in the 70,s 80,s and 90,s they where unheard of.....maybe that's where I started the damage.......and shite Kangol helmets did not help.😂

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

That’s my reasoning, also they seem to protect more than others if you put them on right, I’ll surely do it as it’s also a matter of comfort now. 

I used to....er....collect (steal) earplugs from factories I delivered to, thinking (maybe wrongly) that if a employer provides them they should be if a certain standard and up to the job they where designed for.

8 minutes ago, Clive said:

I used to....er....collect (steal) earplugs from factories I delivered to, thinking (maybe wrongly) that if a employer provides them they should be if a certain standard and up to the job they where designed for.

I used to buy them in bulk from work safety shops, now I just buy them from the pharmacy as these seem quieter when I put them on, and adapt better to the inside of the ear.

• Like 1

And this is not a feeling sorry for myself statement, but being deaf is very isolating, can't hear music, visit in laws, can't join in the conversations, television is off more than it is on, some channels have subtitles, but alot dont.

Mobile phone is only usefull for internet and text messages.

If I have to go somewhere, hospital (they can call my name all day, I won't hear them😂) shopping and the garage to have car repaired wife has to be there too.

We had a hell of a time getting the car and bike insurances to talk to my wife instead of me, and official departments like the tax office are adamant they want to talk to me only, sorry cannot talk to your wife, data protection and all that shit.

I have one sort of riding buddy, he is very useful at cafes and eateries, otherwise I am stuffed.

It would be easy to withdraw altogether, but I try not too..

Anyway guys remember "loud exhausts save lives" maybe mine😂. Louder the better, so I know you there👍

• Like 4

I used to buy them in bulk from work safety shops, now I just buy them from the pharmacy as these seem quieter when I put them on, and adapt better to the inside of the ear.

Ear plugs👍and the quietest helmet you can buy............I had a AGV (years ago) helmet, it was as loud wearing the helmet, as not wearing a helmet when riding.

16 minutes ago, Clive said:

I have one sort of riding buddy, he is very useful at cafes and eateries, otherwise I am stuffed.

For dealing with stuff over the phone, if you have someone you trust just ask them to say they're you and deal with it. It doesn't need a lot of work, just a male voice over the phone. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

always look for the good things Clive😉  and keep going 👍

Good things.👍..rarther be deaf than blind, blind, now that is a disability.

• Like 1

For dealing with stuff over the phone, if you have someone you trust just ask them to say they're you and deal with it. It doesn't need a lot of work, just a male voice over the phone. 

Never thought of trying that👍.........brother in law is a candidate, just hope they don't mention golf to him though,  or the poor sod at the other end will be tied up for hours😂

Just now, Clive said:

Never thought of trying that👍.........brother in law is a candidate, just hope they don't mention golf to him though,  or the poor sod at the other end will be tied up for hours😂

That's even a better strategy, get them to forfeit and give it up!

• Haha 1

That's even a better strategy, get them to forfeit and give it up!

I just want them to refund the tax they owe me👿.......£1200 is better in my bank account than theirs...........too much to ask for?.....seems like it.

• Like 1