What exactly constitutes an Adventure Motorcycle

DangerRuss58

OK so I was looking through some of my stuff to see what I could put on the Ride report topic and one of the biggest trips I ever did was on my old Harley, my thinking has always been: "a trip is an adventure therefore whatever I'm riding by association is an Adventure Motorcycle" so before I annoy anyone what are you thoughts on this?

I've spoken to people about this place and some have said......"I don't have an Adventure Motorcycle".

My opinion is it's more about what you do WITH the bike rather than the bike itself.

Look at all the GS's with the dustbins that never go anywhere for example........while there's people riding round the world on Honda 90's.

So I'd say if you're getting out doing trips (on or off road), visiting places of interest (not the local bike meet up), and doing it all by motorcycle......then by definition it's an adventure motorcycle!

• Like 1

On the other hand, you can go around the world and not find or have an adventure, and have an adventure when you´re commuting home from work or on the train.

Traveling doesn't mean adventure, it just means traveling. The "adventure" part of the segment's name is just marketing. Big trail or trail mustn't have been a manly enough name for the american market, it worked well enough in Europe for decades.

The GSs with dustbins that don't go anywhere serve a purpose, their owners look at their bikes and feel like they can go on an adventure, and basically that's why most people buy bikes. Most CBRs and GSXRs don't go on track either, it doesn't make them useless, their riders feel like Marc Marquez when they start them to go have a coffee with their friends.

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The GSs with dustbins that don't go anywhere serve a purpose, their owners look at their bikes and feel like they can go on an adventure, and basically that's why most people buy bikes. Most CBRs and GSXRs don't go on track either, it doesn't make them useless, their riders feel like Marc Marquez when they start them to go have a coffee with their friends.

It's all about business! The manufacturers are selling an image.....like the Harley Lifestyle for example.

But as I've always said.....the bike doesn't make the man, it's the man that makes the bike.

I never judge people on the bike they have........more on what they actually do with the bike.

So in principle any bike can be an adventure bike!

1 minute ago, BusBoy said:

You're just saying that because you have a Suzuki ?

Always having an excuse ready is a by-product of Suzuki ownership Bruce!

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It's all about business! The manufacturers are selling an image.....

That's where I think we digress, you say it an image, I say people buy a feeling. It's worth it to feel like and adventurer, a racer, a badass biker, etc, even if you're just getting that feeling while going about your mundane life.

As far as I’m concerned the ‘adventure’ but if a bike is in your head. It’s about how the bike and the trip your making, either long or short, easy or difficult, makes you feel.

Nothing wrong with a Harley adventure mate ?

I have never been a bike snob to me of it has two wheels and engine it's a motorbike..respect! I have owned all sorts of bikes in my life I have never understood the "Them and us" thing when regarding Harley's and BMW's  I have toured on Adventure Bikes and been off road on sports bikes..not always out of choice LOL My off road skills are about the same as my cooking skills nearly non existent. I just didn't want to put a ride report up on a bike that perhaps didn't conform to the general opinion of what is an Adventure bike..I'll go and write it now!

2 minutes ago, BusBoy said:

Harley is sit up and beg too. I'll draw the line at Gold Wing though. Acres of chrome I can deal with but enough neon lighting to satisfy a carnival, not so much.

Tell that to Emilio Scotto

There are very few rides I have done over the years that I could not have done on the Harley, I used to ride fire roads in the USA on it. The most miles I have ever done over a short time span was on this bike when I did 4800 miles in eight days, Georgia to LA and back, so I think it pretty much meets the criteria.

17 minutes ago, DangerRuss58 said:

I have never been a bike snob to me of it has two wheels and engine it's a motorbike..respect! I have owned all sorts of bikes in my life I have never understood the "Them and us" thing when regarding Harley's and BMW's  I have toured on Adventure Bikes and been off road on sports bikes..not always out of choice LOL My off road skills are about the same as my cooking skills nearly non existent. I just didn't want to put a ride report up on a bike that perhaps didn't conform to the general opinion of what is an Adventure bike..I'll go and write it now!

We're just starting out.......so any content is good content Russ.

It's the content that will get us up on the Google search results.

Since @BusBoy put up his sailing report we're now featuring quite prominently in the Maritime search results. :classic_unsure: