Honda Confirms There Will Be a New Grom for the US Market

Hugh Janus

The 2021 MSX125 Grom as it will appear across the pond.
The 2021 MSX125 Grom as it will appear across the pond. (Honda/)

American Honda has confirmed there will be a new Grom for the US market. The US subsidiary offers no additional information, saying it will provide a full briefing in the new year, but Honda’s global press sites give us an idea of what to expect. In global markets, the Grom will be available as a 2021 model, the MSX125 Grom. Outside of the US and Japan, the Grom was previously known as the MSX125 (Mini Street X-treme 125).

The new Grom, at least as it will appear in other markets, has new bodywork, a Euro 5-spec engine with a five-speed gearbox, IMU-managed ABS, and a new LCD dash.

Check out the new seat and bodywork. The low seat height remains unchanged.
Check out the new seat and bodywork. The low seat height remains unchanged. (Honda /)

The bodywork, which more than ever has a toy-like aspect, attaches with just six fasteners per side, each accentuated by a recessed surround. One imagines a Lego Technic version would look incredibly lifelike. Up front, there’s a new LED headlight and LCD dash that includes a tachometer and gear position indicator.

In addition to complying with Euro 5 emission regulations, the 125cc two-valve engine has a smaller bore and longer stroke (50mm x 63.1mm compared to 52.4mm x 57.9mm), and should deliver more torque at lower rpm. It also has a higher compression ratio of 10.0:1, compared to 9.3:1 in the previous generation. With the addition of a fifth gear, Honda was able to add a larger 38-tooth final-drive sprocket (up from 34 teeth) to improve acceleration without sacrificing top speed or high-speed cruising comfort. Customizers should be pleased to hear that the muffler is now bolted to the exhaust pipe for painless slip-on installation.

Big Red’s little red.
Big Red’s little red. (Honda /)

While the frame and suspension are unchanged, the European press release says ABS is managed by an IMU. It just goes to show how cornering ABS, which was considered high-end as of, like, yesterday, is trickling down to even entry-level bikes. The keen minimoto rider will know that the Honda Monkey ABS is also equipped with an IMU, so it’s really no surprise to see it debut on the Grom, which has sold 750,000 units since its debut.

Will the US market’s Grom be any different?
Will the US market’s Grom be any different? (Honda /)

Interestingly, Honda teased an HRC-fettled Grom on its @hondaracingcorporation instagram account. The post is written in Japanese, so for all I know, it could say, “stupid journalists who can’t read that this says ‘photoshop mockup’ are going to go nuts for this,” but it’s worth taking a look at in case you’re trying to find inspiration for your own Grom customization project.

New LED headlight.
New LED headlight. (Honda /)

When we find out more information about the US Grom, we’ll be sure to keep you updated.

Source

I just don't get why any grown person would want a kid's bike. Not even fit for purpose as a city commuter in my opinion, maybe as a "going to the beach with a backpack" kind of thing, but then again a small traillie will be better, as a commuter a scooter will also be better and way more practical. 

I don't understand the sales numbers these bikes apparently get.

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I just don't get why any grown person would want a kid's bike. Not even fit for purpose as a city commuter in my opinion, maybe as a "going to the beach with a backpack" kind of thing, but then again a small traillie will be better, as a commuter a scooter will also be better and way more practical. 

I don't understand the sales numbers these bikes apparently get.

I don't know what it is but every time i see someone riding one i smile to myself and think that looks great fun same with the monkey bike