Trains of the Rockies

Earache

I seem to take a shitload of pictures of trains as I ride around the Rocky Mountains. All of the towns have a train or two up on blocks in the town center. So here are a few. I'll add more here as I see them.

Starting off with my home town - Black Hawk, Colorado. These are the trains that were used to haul gold ore from the mines to stamping mills for processing....

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

• Like 4

The other train in town, bears the same Engine Number - although I don't know why. Maybe they shared the same line / route or something?

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

• Like 3

A neighboring town, Silver Plume (wonder what they mined there?) has it's own train for tourists to ride as well as a small museum. But the cool part is the engine house where they repair the trains. They also have a nice, original station...

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

• Like 3

18 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Fantastic stuff :classic_cool:

This is very interesting to me as my niece is married to a 'Gilpin'  , it's not a very common name

The county that I live in is named Gilpin County. So lots of things and places around here are named "Gilpin".  It is named after William Gilpin - see; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gilpin_(governor) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That very cool. You must have some mileage on that bike

Not too bad - it has 21,000 miles right now. Probably be around 28,000 by the end of riding season this year when it'll be 2 years old.

• Like 2