Cruising Kansas....

Earache

Up at the crack of 8:30 this morning and started packing the bike for a ride to Garden City, Kansas. There was a nip in the air though (ignore the date and time - I dunno hopw to set those).

Stopped on the way outta town and looked back at Interstate 70....

IMG_2850.JPG

temp n AM.jpg

• Like 3

Hour or so later and I pull off the highway onto some dirt. Was gonna check out the trees, lakes and mountains - but there aren't any! Welcome to the eastern 1/3 of Colorado - whole lotta nuthin'....

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Only thing other than dry grass for miles is some windmill generators in the distance.  Good place for them as the wind was a steady 40 mph all day today....

IMG_2859.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally pull into Lamar, CO for some fuel. Saw what had to be the biggest steam train ever . I'm 6'1" tall and the wheels were as tall as me....

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And now the real fun begins; Kansas has about 2 road turns in the entire state, more State Troopers than you can shake a stick at and it's now 95 out. Great riding!

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But I made it - now sitting in my deeeeluxe hotel room at the Marriott with the air con switched to "freeze" and enjoying the magnificent view outside my room...

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Now that's deserted.......my type of place! And trains! ?

Any abandoned towns?

No - there's not really any towns of any kind; inhabited or abandoned out here. Just grass fields for miles upon miles. I rode a stretch of 200 miles and I think I was next to the same field the entire time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tym said:

I agree, i love old train stuff!

Yeh......me too! 

That's why I've been tracking these abandoned stations!

But to be authentic they need to have some original rails left like Seron!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lone Amigo said:

It has been a long time since I last rode in Kansas.
It is hard to explain to people who have never been to the USA just how wide open it can be.
Winter in Kansas can be really cold with deep snow -- when that happens, the cattle and wildlife suffer greatly.
But the grass-fed beef is very tasty when they have a good year.

Thanks for the photos.

It is a place of extremes; extremely hot right now but extremely cold in the winter. The rain stoprms, when they have them,  are full of torandos and 3-4 inches of rain in an hour.

Passed a lot of cattle and cattle trucks yesterday - nothing smells worse when it's 95F  - will get some shots of them today on my way home.

• Like 2

Anyway, back at it today - heading back home.

Today was just fucking hot; 100F/38C  and 90%+ humidity - sucks the life right out of you. Air was so thick that I couldn't breathe and I had 400 miles to cover....

IMG_2906.JPG

humid.jpg

• Like 2

All was not lost though as I found an old (1899) abandioned school house out in Buttfuck, Nowhere for Pete.

Had a newer roof and someone also added some rope grout to the brick....

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

• Like 2

Cool part was that it wasn't posted and wasn't locked, so I opened the door and shot some pics without actually going inside. Old slate blackboards are still up on the wall, although someone nicked their stove which should have been in front of the chimney...

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

• Like 2

100 miles or so later and I saw this old, abandoned factory that is falling in on itself. I 'd guess, by the architecture, that it isn't that old. 1920's maybe? Kinda Art-Deco looking.

I walked around back before getting outta there as it creeped me out; lots of old pottery and dishes set out like someone was going to be eating there soon...

IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

IMG_2904.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

Superb @Earache ...........bit weird that old schoolhouse in the middle of nowhere but well maintained? 

There was probably a bunch of ranchers there years ago raising cattle and they built it for their kids. The odd part is; who is maintaining it now? No towns for 75 miles around it. And what's with the upside down star / pentagram over the door? KInda weird as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earache said:

There was probably a bunch of ranchers there years ago raising cattle and they built it for their kids. The odd part is; who is maintaining it now? No towns for 75 miles around it. And what's with the upside down star / pentagram over the door? KInda weird as well.

As you mentioned earlier.......some of these old buildings are really spooky!