Some interesting moose read

Well some might not find it so interesting .

Their is around 31 thousand animals located in a 150 km square portion of the province where I live..there's no human habitation in the center section of the province 99% are all along the coast...roughly 3000 animals are taken every year...it is extremely dangerous to be traveling the roads at night or dusk around here...roughly 400 accidents are report every year involving mooses...I've always timed my rides to be home before dusk unless I'm staying in a motel or something...major sections of highway are now fences with these moose fencing where the hot spots are..my aunt died many years ago when she struck a moose in a group of 4 motorcycles..no more than 15 min from my home...these things are extremely hard to see has soon has the sun disappear...and if you're caught on the road you are basically playing Russian roulette....

Moose meat is one of the healthyess meat to eat..unless your a vegetarian..it contains around 1% body fat..compared to beef wich is around 4% fat..it's extremely red in colour...here I'll post a pic ..the above section is where the moose are located...just remember if anyone ever travel these roads...stay off the roads at night.

Screenshot_20240408_012353_GPS Maps.jpg

Can't sleep...cramps again...gorge myself on snow crab and dairy products..I should know better. 

One of a few reasons I drive this huge pick-up truck is one of those...let me expand on that.

We did recovery work till about 10 years ago...just to much of a pain in arse to be awaken at 2 am to go pull someone out of a ditch..we still do now but only during business  hours.

I've recoverd a few vehicles during the years involving moose...we're not called in till pass the acupants are removed...pretty horrific when a small compact car is in the mix..your basically only taking the legs out..and the entire animal is going through the windscreen no air bag is going to save you...excuse my language but it's basically decapitation by moose...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marcel le Moose Fondler said:

Can't sleep...cramps again...gorge myself on snow crab and dairy products..I should know better. 

One of a few reasons I drive this huge pick-up truck is one of those...let me expand on that.

We did recovery work till about 10 years ago...just to much of a pain in arse to be awaken at 2 am to go pull someone out of a ditch..we still do now but only during business  hours.

I've recoverd a few vehicles during the years involving moose...we're not called in till pass the acupants are removed...pretty horrific when a small compact car is in the mix..your basically only taking the legs out..and the entire animal is going through the windscreen no air bag is going to save you...excuse my language but it's basically decapitation by moose...

Decapitation more like squashed like a pancake. 

Some of them can weigh over 1ton can't they?

5 minutes ago, busabeast said:

Decapitation more like squashed like a pancake. 

Some of them can weigh over 1ton can't they?

Could be a problem for him if they push back.

• Haha 1

I remember years ago when I was in the BMW Airheads Club, which is predominately North American there was always dear strike deaths among the membership every month with RIP's in the monthly magazine.  

• Like 3

Looks yummy. Have to say prefer my venison as a steak or an individual muscle cooked rare then sliced (pave).

https://mikerobinsonchef.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Pave-of-Wild-Venison-980x442.jpg

Mike Robinson used to own the Pot Kiln in Thatcham near me, he now has The Harwood Arms in London, never been to the latter but the former was wonderful. Many years ago I did my DSC qualification with him - something you are encouraged to do if you want to start picking you own (deer). 

Everything we get here is fallow or roe deer, max maybe 75kg for fallow, so a different prospect to a moose. Must need a big bloody round to bring one of them down and not just piss it off. 

I was talking to a Finn last time I was there, they get allocated tags for moose. They apply for one at the start of the season and normally get only part of an animal, so this persons family of 5 had 1.5 moose between them. 

Thankfully we don't have any tag system here, you just shoot what you want as long as it's in season, but then we have a feck of a lot of deer.