Loss of Confidence

Tango

On 30/08/2021 at 19:22, boboneleg said:

I've found that the suspension (especially the rear shock) on the all the new Honda's I've ridden in the past 5 years has been built to a price.

That includes,  CRF250 Rally, CRF250 L  , CRF1000 L , CRF100 DCT and NC750 X.  The NC750 was so bad that I took it back after only 15 mins riding (it was a test ride). 

My Rally was transformed by a £280 YSS rear shock and I didn't have to do anything to the front end.

Is there any talk on any of the forums about the suspension on the CB500X  ?

I know this is an old thread but feel compelled to add my vote here for the CB500X stock rear shock, nominated in the category of "REAR SHOCK MOST LIKELY TO LAUNCH YO ASS INTO THE BUSHES". Honestly the worst rear shock I've even had to deal with, wtf. I rode a brand new 2019 cb500x back from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (for someone who bought it and was too scared to ride it BKK) and sweet jesus it was like riding a pogo stick. 19" front wheel was no issue, tipped in nicely, but as soon as you so much as looked at a blemish in the road service that rear shock would be yeeting you through the air. Zero stars, would not recommend, get YSS tomorrow or Ohlins if have too much money.

That's my 2 cents' worth.

My 3 cents' worth is that having something like this wrong in your set up can totally discombobulate you, and once you lose confidence then everything becomes difficult. I had old tyres on the CBR650 for a few months there and it got to a point where I dreaded riding it down the mountain in rain because I had zero confidence that i wouldn't just slide off the road with the run-off. A new set of Rosso IIIs and I feel like a new woman.

Keen to hear what was the outcome for you here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

I know this is an old thread but feel compelled to add my vote here for the CB500X stock rear shock, nominated in the category of "REAR SHOCK MOST LIKELY TO LAUNCH YO ASS INTO THE BUSHES". Honestly the worst rear shock I've even had to deal with, wtf. I rode a brand new 2019 cb500x back from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (for someone who bought it and was too scared to ride it BKK) and sweet jesus it was like riding a pogo stick. 19" front wheel was no issue, tipped in nicely, but as soon as you so much as looked at a blemish in the road service that rear shock would be yeeting you through the air. Zero stars, would not recommend, get YSS tomorrow or Ohlins if have too much money.

My 3 cents' worth is that having something like this wrong in your set up can totally discombobulate you, and once you lose confidence then everything becomes difficult. I had old tyres on the CBR650 for a few months there and it got to a point where I dreaded riding it down the mountain in rain because I had zero confidence that i wouldn't just slide off the road with the run-off. A new set of Rosso IIIs and I feel like a new woman.

i would suppose it would depend on whose woman you are feeling 😂 👌

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

In recent years Honda have been getting their rear shocks made by Tigger from Winnie the Pooh

tigger-bouncing.gif.1e0705ceac6d5f29fc8d03b5507a3842.gif

• Haha 5