DR650 vs DL650, Power vs Torque

Skyrider Freeman

Hi,

I know this subject is a common one but I'd like to know if someone can explain this in riding experience terms. 

I'm on the lookout for a new mount and I've owned a DL650 before so know its performance. I've always been perplexed by the fact that thumpers such as the DR650 and KLR650 being the same displacement as the DL, have almost half the power yet similar torque ratings, albeit at different rpm. 

I've been mainly considering buying another DL but like the DR from the reviews I've read. What I'd like to know since I haven't gotten around to riding a DR, in actual felt experience, how do these specs play out. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

I've had both.....and while both are great bikes they're polar opposites in every respect.

If you're doing primarily roadwork then it's clearly the Strom, while if the emphasis is offroad then it's the DR.

The Strom's ability offroad is virtually non-existent.......and when I did go on the dirt with one I wished I had something like a DR or XT.

And obviously in terms of power there's no comparison between the two......the DR may feel a bit more gutsy pulling from a standing start but that doesn't last long.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glitch_oz said:

Since you're in Oz....and maybe somewhere near Melbourne.....you're welcome to take my Husky TR650  for a spin.

(it's a sort of re-badged BMW G650GS, a modern take on the KLR/DR).

The singles are "chuggers", the twins are "spinners", one pulls the torque at low rpm, the other needs revs (and potential wheel-spin from that...exactly what you don't want on the dirt)

For mainly HWY  and long-distance work take another DL (we've had 7 of them since 2002...1000s and 650s)

for ADV-riding/ backroads travel/ gravel_dirt  etc  and multi-purpose apps (where hp is rather a liability past a certain point) take a single.

Thanks for the offer but I'm actually in Sydney so that's not going to work. 

I commute heaps in the city which both bikes are great for, I'm kinda interested in how the significantly lighter DR would ride though. 

I had my first Strom out on a ride through some pretty rough fire trails and 4wd tracks. It did OK but it definitely wasn't easy or as good a fit as I'd imagine the DR would be.

At this stage I'm still deciding on what's going to be the predominant mode of operation. 

Thanks for everyone's contributions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glitch_oz said:

Ok, that doesn't work out.

As easy = fun, the DR is a serious contender then. Bolt on some crash bars and Barkbusters plus pannier frames and there is just about nothing  (and no expensive Tupperware) to get busted when dropping it.

Which in itself creates a whole new freedom.

Also, the Strom is quite top-heavy, which makes for some extra-work in slow-going/ dirt.

Another must-have for the DR is a ~20l aftermarket tank, don't get suckered into the 30l Safari tank, they're more a liability than an asset.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'd already googled the safari tank and didn't realise there's an inbetweener. 

Regards going from a DL to a DR650. When I bought my DL, I'd just come off an SV650 so was really impressed with how manoeuvrable the DL felt, but yes still quite a big bike. That's why the DR650 has me interested with the significant weight drop and bike set up. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, glitch_oz said:

the Strom is quite top-heavy

Absolutely!

When I replaced it with the G650GS with the underseat tank and 30kg lighter my life got a whole lot easier.

I'm just going to agree with what glitch_oz is saying because it's exactly right.  If you do a lot of motorway (freeway) riding get the DL, but if you like the backroads and gravel trails go for the DR.

I've owned four DR650's now so I'm a bit biased but for me it's the best go anwhere dual-sport bike there is .

1996 UK model behind modded for overland riding and 2012 Standard model in front , that one is from Perth originally and still has some Aussie red dust on it

6.thumb.JPG.95976fbc863fb9a052193386c1c43533.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1