Harley-Davidson No Show Winners Gallery

Hugh Janus

Ben Zales and his award-winning 1963 Panhead chopper.
Ben Zales and his award-winning 1963 Panhead chopper. (Ben Zales/)

The Harley-Davidson No Show wrapped up last night with the announcement of the winners in three categories. With more than 60 entrants from 10 countries, there was an incredibly diverse range of bikes. From baggers to café racers to the many choppers in the show, it served as a great example of what can be done with a Harley-Davidson platform, and also the incredible range of bikes H-D has produced throughout its history.

We pulled pictures of some of our favorite custom bikes in the show, because, after all, there were only three awards but many more bikes that deserve to be seen a little closer.

Michael Lange’s 1921 Banjo two-cam boardtrack racer, which took the Harley-Davidson Styling and Design Award.
Michael Lange’s 1921 Banjo two-cam boardtrack racer, which took the Harley-Davidson Styling and Design Award. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)

The first award was the Harley-Davidson Styling and Design Award, given by Brad Richards, the vice president of Styling and Design for Harley-Davidson. This award was given to an absolutely brilliant motorcycle built and raced by Michael Lange. The 1921 Banjo two-cam boardtrack racer not only has an amazing level of custom fabrication and engineering, it has also been raced for the last 24 years, proving the quality of that work.

Christian Newman’s 1940 Knucklehead chopper, which garnered the H-D Museum Award.
Christian Newman’s 1940 Knucklehead chopper, which garnered the H-D Museum Award. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)

The second award was decided by the staff of the Harley-Davidson Museum and awarded by Bill Davidson to Christian Newman, for his incredible 1940 Knucklehead. This bike is an absolute work of art. Christian is a professional engineer and that computing mind and attention to minute details shine through in each of his builds. We often joke that this bike took close to 100,000 hours to complete, due to the long nights Newman spent polishing each and every stainless component to get that beautiful mirror finish. Another very well-deserved award.

Last but definitely not least is the Media Choice Award. This was decided by myself, Wes Reyneke of Bike Exif, and Steve Lita of American Iron. The three of us have conflicting tastes, yet somehow managed to quickly settle on our decided winner: Ben Zales with his 1963 Panhead chopper. This bike is a uniquely modern translation of 1960s show style that really stood out to me. Top-notch craftsmanship is visible throughout the build, but there is something exceptional about the lines and the way the bike flows together as a whole.

It’s hard to tell without being able to see the crowds, but from where I was sitting, the No Show seemed to go very well. The unique aspect of being able to hear each builder describe their motorcycle was an asset, and I left knowing new things about bikes I thought I knew. Who knows how long we’re going to be stuck at home with limited social interaction, but even when the world opens back up, I think we can take a couple of tips from an event like this No Show.

Eric Stein’s beautiful 1964 Panhead was toward the top of all the media judges’ lists.
Eric Stein’s beautiful 1964 Panhead was toward the top of all the media judges’ lists. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)Josh Allison’s patinated Knucklehead is made up of some incredible original parts and some very skilled fabrication.
Josh Allison’s patinated Knucklehead is made up of some incredible original parts and some very skilled fabrication. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)Jero Fleming’s 1964 Panhead.
Jero Fleming’s 1964 Panhead. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)Hawke Lawshe’s cutaway 1981 Shovelhead is absolutely amazing, and to see it run is an experience in itself!
Hawke Lawshe’s cutaway 1981 Shovelhead is absolutely amazing, and to see it run is an experience in itself! (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)Winston Yeh’s style can be identified from a mile away. Always clean, always uniquely Rough Crafts.
Winston Yeh’s style can be identified from a mile away. Always clean, always uniquely Rough Crafts. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)This Evo chopper from Marcos Vasquez is one that I could see myself riding on the daily. A beautiful blend of old-school style and somewhat modern reliability.
This Evo chopper from Marcos Vasquez is one that I could see myself riding on the daily. A beautiful blend of old-school style and somewhat modern reliability. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)Matt Landman’s timeless 1966 Shovelhead build.
Matt Landman’s timeless 1966 Shovelhead build. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)This Road Glide is a little different than what we’re used to seeing from the brothers at Suicide Machine Co., yet still carries their trademark race-inspired style.
This Road Glide is a little different than what we’re used to seeing from the brothers at Suicide Machine Co., yet still carries their trademark race-inspired style. (Courtesy of Harley-Davidson/)Ben Zales’ 1963 Panhead chopper, which took the Media Choice Award at the Harley-Davidson No Show.
Ben Zales’ 1963 Panhead chopper, which took the Media Choice Award at the Harley-Davidson No Show. (Ben Zales/)The molding where the bike’s gas tank meets the frame is such an aesthetically pleasing detail.
The molding where the bike’s gas tank meets the frame is such an aesthetically pleasing detail. (Ben Zales/)Zales says the gas tank is just big enough to get to the gas station. Maybe back.
Zales says the gas tank is just big enough to get to the gas station. Maybe back. (Ben Zales/)Hand shifter and foot clutch details on Zales’ 1963 Panhead.
Hand shifter and foot clutch details on Zales’ 1963 Panhead. (Ben Zales/)

Source