Thor Motorcycles December 22

Saul

I went to a RE owners club meeting last night and learnt that Thor Motorcycles at Lanivet had a Gold Star in stock so I popped up to have a look, twas only a 30 mile round trip but that was far enough in this cold.  Thanks goodness for thermal underwear.  🤣  

Anyway had a good look at the BSA Gold Star and I thought it looked really good.     No rough edges and pretty well finished to be honest.  Only couple of things I was not so keen on was the stickers on the engine cases that detail left a bit to be desired, also no main stand.  The motor sounded fantastic, it has the baffle out but even so it has a lovely sound.  I was offered a test ride but declined as I knew I wasn't going to buy and would have felt guilty.  Talking to the owner he tells me he has taken 22 deposits on his allocation of 25 bikes for the first quarter of next year.  May have been a bit of sales spiel but sounded reasonable given the way the guys at the RE meeting were raving last night.  If I were to choose I would have a green one or maybe black. 

i had a look at some of the 'Chinese Crap' he had in the showroom and to be perfectly honest it all looked pretty good.   How long it would stay looking that good is another matter but even so it's easy to slam stuff from a distance up close I didn't see anything that looked nasty.    I do like the look of that Fantic Cally thing, but if I was to buy a dirt bike I think I would go for one of the Betas he had in the showroom, I liked them.    Not sure about the Indians he had, couldn't see myself on one of them just to bloody big.  

The Gold Star I would have or maybe an RE Interceptor both of those would suit me well.  Or even a second had Bonnie.  I know I will get slammed for that but we all ride what we want to and I like the retro stuff.  

I took a photo of the mist rolling up the Fowey river valley on the way home.  Pretty

IMG_8430.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

IMG_8433.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

IMG_8437.jpg

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

IMG_8441.jpg

IMG_8442.jpg

IMG_8447.jpg

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Saul said:

I went to a RE owners club meeting last night and learnt that Thor Motorcycles at Lanivet had a Gold Star in stock so I popped up to have a look, twas only a 30 mile round trip but that was far enough in this cold.  Thanks goodness for thermal underwear.  🤣  

Anyway had a good look at the BSA Gold Star and I thought it looked really good.     No rough edges and pretty well finished to be honest.  Only couple of things I was not so keen on was the stickers on the engine cases that detail left a bit to be desired, also no main stand.  The motor sounded fantastic, it has the baffle out but even so it has a lovely sound.  I was offered a test ride but declined as I knew I wasn't going to buy and would have felt guilty.  Talking to the owner he tells me he has taken 22 deposits on his allocation of 25 bikes for the first quarter of next year.  May have been a bit of sales spiel but sounded reasonable given the way the guys at the RE meeting were raving last night.  If I were to choose I would have a green one or maybe black. 

i had a look at some of the 'Chinese Crap' he had in the showroom and to be perfectly honest it all looked pretty good.   How long it would stay looking that good is another matter but even so it's easy to slam stuff from a distance up close I didn't see anything that looked nasty.    I do like the look of that Fantic Cally thing, but if I was to buy a dirt bike I think I would go for one of the Betas he had in the showroom, I liked them.    Not sure about the Indians he had, couldn't see myself on one of them just to bloody big.  

The Gold Star I would have or maybe an RE Interceptor both of those would suit me well.  Or even a second had Bonnie.  I know I will get slammed for that but we all ride what we want to and I like the retro stuff.  

I took a photo of the mist rolling up the Fowey river valley on the way home.  Pretty

IMG_8430.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

IMG_8433.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

IMG_8437.jpg

IMG_8438.jpg

IMG_8439.jpg

IMG_8441.jpg

IMG_8442.jpg

IMG_8447.jpg

The Gold Star seems decent enough on the surface......but it looks to be a heavy lump.

Not keen on the upside down clocks though.

• Like 1

Didn't feel it but 213KGs so not lightweight.  Upside down is the way the original was, I think I would like them more angled towards the rider but not worried about the way they sweep.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Didn't feel it but 213KGs so not lightweight.  Upside down is the way the original was, I think I would like them more angled towards the rider but not worried about the way they sweep.   

That's near enough the weight of a Strom!

Betas might seem budget because they’re cheaper than Huskys and KTMs and TMs and Hondas but they sell like hotcakes here and have been used to win several national championships all around Europe, using basically stock bikes with some prep. They’re serious bikes!

• Like 3