Energica Building 180 HP Electric

Hugh Janus

It appears that a more powerful 180-horsepower motor is in the works from Energica.
It appears that a more powerful 180-horsepower motor is in the works from Energica. (Energica/)

Italian electric bike firm Energica has made quite a name for itself as the supplier for the single-make MotoE series with its high-performance Ego, Eva and EsseEsse9 models. They leapt even more boldly into the limelight with this year’s Experia adventure bike. Now there are indications that Energica will soon launch a machine driven by a powerful 180 horsepower motor.

A document filed with the NHTSA this month explaining how to decode Energica’s VIN numbers hints at two additions to the firm’s range. One is that the Experia, which is a completely new platform for Energica, will spawn a second derivative. According to the document, the fourth letter in the VIN defines the model, with two new options appearing. The letter “F” indicates the Experia, which we’ve seen, but Energica has also added a definition for the letter “G” in the same spot, saying it relates to the Experia 2.

The Energica Experia may have a derivative on the way soon.
The Energica Experia may have a derivative on the way soon. (Energica/)

Given that the Experia is still in the pre-order stage, the Experia 2 can’t be its successor. Instead, it’s likely to be a second variant of the bike with a different specification. How that specification will differ remains to be seen, but a hint could come in another addition to the new VIN definitions, showing plans for a more powerful motor.

At the moment, Energica’s most powerful option is the 148 hp (110kW) motor offered in the Eva Ribelle, Ego and EsseEsse9 models. In line with normal conventions, that number is a continuous power figure, which means the amount that the motor is capable of delivering without overheating for an unlimited time. That means it’s not really comparable to a combustion engine’s peak power, and that the Energica’s electric motor can also deliver substantially more performance for short periods. For example, their motor which is rated at 148 hp is actually good for a peak of 171.

This new VIN document shows that an additional motor is due to be added to the range, with a rated output of 180 hp (134kW). Energica’s current top motor has a peak output that’s 15.5-percent higher than its rated continuous power, so if the same math applies to the 180 hp-rated motor it could have a peak power of around 208. That puts it into the same ballpark as the top internal-combustion-powered superbikes on the market.

Energica’s earliest VIN decoding documents showed a vast range of power levels, covering all the bases from 15 to 243 horsepower rather than reflecting the actual outputs of the bikes in its model range, but since 2020 the company has reworked its VINs to accurately reflect power levels. The 2020 document, for instance, showed three power figures: 94 hp, 107 hp or 143 hp, matching the quoted figures for bikes in its range at the time. The 148 hp figure was added in 2021 VIN decoding documents, reflecting upgrades implemented during the year. That suggests the 180 hp bike is imminent, and with Energica likely to want to make a splash at this year’s EICMA show in November, we might not have long to wait before we see it.

Source

29 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Try it before you condemn it. 
But FFS don’t buy it. As sirfallsalot says. Italians, electrics, RUN 😆

Yes they are quicker than  ice engines but.....not for long before they grind to a halt through lack on electricity so it still makes an ice powered vehicle much quicker 

• Like 1

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@Richzx6r Find your way down south I’ll meet you with the Livewire.. assuming I can get it charged en route that is 😂

I'd guess you'd be waiting for days to get the Livewire anywhere near the North a horse would probably be quicker 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Try it. Dare ya. 

I'd like to try one but not into the sports bikes anymore as i cant see fast enough LOL i really like your electric Harley though but would never buy one at this moment in time for two reasons 1) i'm not willing to restrict my riding time by its range before it needs charging and 2) it cost more than i paid for my house :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

I'd guess you'd be waiting for days to get the Livewire anywhere near the North a horse would probably be quicker 

Ha if I was prepare to head north in the winter I’d be mad enough to buy an electric bike.. oh wait hang on. 
Nah I’m not that insane. 

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I'd like to try one but not into the sports bikes anymore as i cant see fast enough LOL i really like your electric Harley though but would never buy one at this moment in time for two reasons 1) i'm not willing to restrict my riding time by its range before it needs charging and 2) it cost more than i paid for my house :classic_laugh:

I swear if the the deal hadn’t been so sweet I wudna have touched it with a barge pole 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

No? Do tell

Well 2years of reasonable hp payments (hate that sort of thing but it was a good deal) then you choose at the end of just two years whether you want to continue or they’ll buy it back guaranteed price - no less than 2k you payed for it. 
Fully warranted for the period (including battery). 

They clearly wanted shot of it. It’s a 2020. They needed to make way for the new unbranded Livewire (will no longer carry Harley badge cos they’re splitting it off).  
Tbh I thought it was cheap thrills for a couple of years. Now I can’t see parting with it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well 2years of reasonable hp payments (hate that sort of thing but it was a good deal) then you choose at the end of just two years whether you want to continue or they’ll buy it back guaranteed price - no less than 2k you payed for it. 

They clearly wanted shot of it. It’s a 2020. They needed to make way for the new unbranded Livewire (will no longer carry Harley badge cos they’re splitting it off).  
Tbh I thought it was cheap thrills for a couple of years. Now I can’t see parting with it. 

What actually is the battery range on it? Then 

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Probably be sought after with the Harley badge in the future 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

I think their saying about 140 miles but no electric vehicle can do what the manufactures say they can unless your riding slower than what a mobility scooter goes 

4 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

Well like all vehicles especially electric that very much depends how you ride it. It says 146 miles. 
I took it out recently and had as much fun as I could on it without breaking my Kermit arms or myself and after one n half hours I had about 35% charge left which was plenty to get home. 

• Like 2