Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum

Grasshopper

I've been there a few times, it's a great day out.   I have a Sammy Miller story as well. 

I was a travelling marshall in a trial some years back and was riding around on a hillside in Gloucestershire showing riders where the sections were.  This rider approached me and even with his heImet on I was thinking 'I know that guy'  . The rider then asked where the first section is and immediately I recognised him as Sammy Miller due to his lovely 'Nothern Irish/ New Forest mix' accent.

I wanted to ask him for his autograph on my running sheet but thought it was a bit inappropriate. He then rode off across the slippy hillside like he was out for a sunday stroll :classic_cool:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I've been there a few times, it's a great day out.   I have a Sammy Miller story as well. 

I was a travelling marshall in a trial some years back and was riding around on a hillside in Gloucestershire showing riders where the sections were.  This rider approached me and even with his heImet on I was thinking 'I know that guy'  . The rider then asked where the first section is and immediately I recognised him as Sammy Miller due to his lovely 'Nothern Irish/ New Forest mix' accent.

I wanted to ask him for his autograph on my running sheet but thought it was a bit inappropriate. He then rode off across the slippy hillside like he was out for a sunday stroll :classic_cool:

Good story Bob! ? 

Way to keep your composure. 

• 2 months later...

I went to the Sammy Miller museum a couple of years ago. Brilliant place, loved it, definitely going back. It was almost empty (deliberately chose a quiet weekday time) and there was an old guy who kept appearing just slightly off to one side. I didn’t think much of it until we left the building and my friend said you know that guy who was eavesdropping, that was Sammy Miller. Ive thought about it many times since, he was definitely available to chat to and I didn’t bloody recognise him. So annoyed with myself, what an idiot, I was in the Sammy Miller museum with Sammy Miller, had the opportunity to chat to the legend himself and missed it.... 🤦‍♀️ 

I console myself that the things I was saying were extremely complimentary, I understand why he was smiling at me now, at the time I thought I’d just attracted a lunatic 🙄 He enjoyed listening to me standing in front of his ENORMOUS trophy cabinet raving on about how unbelievable it was and how talented he must be cos it just didn’t seem possible to have so many. He must have competed non stop and won everything, really remarkable. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I went to the Sammy Miller museum a couple of years ago. Brilliant place, loved it, definitely going back. It was almost empty (deliberately chose a quiet weekday time) and there was an old guy who kept appearing just slightly off to one side. I didn’t think much of it until we left the building and my friend said you know that guy who was eavesdropping, that was Sammy Miller. Ive thought about it many times since, he was definitely available to chat to and I didn’t bloody recognise him. So annoyed with myself, what an idiot, I was in the Sammy Miller museum with Sammy Miller, had the opportunity to chat to the legend himself and missed it.... 🤦‍♀️ 

I console myself that the things I was saying were extremely complimentary, I understand why he was smiling at me now, at the time I thought I’d just attracted a lunatic 🙄 He enjoyed listening to me standing in front of his ENORMOUS trophy cabinet raving on about how unbelievable it was and how talented he must be cos it just didn’t seem possible to have so many. He must have competed non stop and won everything, really remarkable. 

He's an amazing man.....87 now and still very active!

• Like 2