USA Summer 2021 Ride

Earache

I'm so bored that I'm thinking about next summer's rides already. Now that my bud Craigster (DesmoDog) is on board and has a new scooter, time to think about a nice cruise for next summer.

And should any of you Europeans or persons from anywhere else want to come along with us, we'd love to have you! It'd be the cheapest guided tour of the US that you'll ever have. The bad news is, Craig and I are the tour guides - so there's that.

So, where would you like to go? I'm thinkin  Rocky Mountains to Northern California and back - see route in pic. About 3,000 miles - easily done in 7-10 days...or longer if you wish.

Any other ideas?

Summer 2021 route.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I've been saying for 45+ years that I want to ride Route 66.......but I think large stretches of it are now closed?

That and it's the worst possible route across the USA.  It was laid out when vehicles weren't capable of going across mountain ranges, etc - so it follows the path of least resistance - if that makes sense. Can't understand the fascination of it.

Portions from around Santa Fe, New Mexico and westward aren't too bad, but anything east of there is complete shit.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66#/map/0  It routes through the busiest part of each city along the way .... places I usually try to avoid.

A better route would be Route 50 - The Loneliest Road - if you wanted to a cross USA trip on 2 lane roads.  But even that is going to be pretty boring for 1,000's of miles.

But, if it's been a life long dream, then ya oughtta do it.

us-route-50-map.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Earache said:

But, if it's been a life long dream, then ya oughtta do it.

It'll never happen Eric.......my work and family commitments prevent it......plus I'm too bloody old now.

I think the thing with Route 66 for Brits of my age is we were brought up hearing about it in films, TV programmes, songs etc......it sort of acquired this mythical status to us.

Bit like Americans who go to Britain always want to see Buckingham Palace and castles.......whereas we wouldn't give them a second glance.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It'll never happen Eric.......my work and family commitments prevent it......plus I'm too bloody old now.

I think the thing with Route 66 for Brits of my age is we were brought up hearing about it in films, TV programmes, songs etc......it sort of acquired this mythical status to us.

Bit like Americans who go to Britain always want to see Buckingham Palace and castles.......whereas we wouldn't give them a second glance.

That makes sense.  But you'd be sick of it after the first day and would re-route to find something interesting. Most of the road from Chicago to Amarillo, TX has been dug up and replaced with interstate highway. Off the highway in Texas, some of the original road still exists. I  took a guy from Scotland over parts of it once as he was dying to see it. I'll see if I can dig up the pics for you.

• Like 2

Some Route 66 pics - this was around Tucumcari area. Lots of old, bombed out gas stations, motels, etc.,  with 200 miles of flat, featureless riding in between towns. The CarHenge pics are obviously from Amarillo...

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_6712.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

But why are those cars embedded in the ground?

Some artist did it - dunno why. Also called Cadillac Ranch, see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch

There are usually a bunch of spray paint cans there in a box so you can paint the cars a bit yourself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clive said:

If it went through Iowa (will never do it though as I don't have the $ ☹️) I would give it a go!.?

Iowa? Used to live there - never thought of it as a motorcycle destination though. What's there that you wanna see?

You know why the wind blows south in Minnesota?

Cuz Iowa sucks. 

(Born and raised in Minnesota...)

But Field of Dream fans might like it. 

Anywhos, Route 66 back in the '50s ('40s? '30s?) was probably pretty cool. Before my time but that's when it's reputation was being made. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Earache said:

A better route would be Route 50 - The Loneliest Road - if you wanted to a cross USA trip on 2 lane roads.  But even that is going to be pretty boring for 1,000's of miles.

I;ve drove or riden a large part of Rt 50, loved most of it. :littleguy:

Getting back to the topic; we could also do a ride in Colorado only and just camp out at our house for a week - day rides mostly and maybe 1-32 overnights away.

Wouldn't get much cheaper than that.

Just now, Clive said:

As said.....something I wanted to do when I was younger.........now days I can't be arsed to sit on a airplane to go to Spain or the other Spanish islands.....so a transatlantic flight is a real no no.

We never got to do anything Clive.......the years just flew by!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clive said:

It was only (or seemed like it?) yesterday that I was 25!.... I have a few unfulfilled dreams.....too sodding old now.

Yeh I know! The only thing I ever managed to achieve was getting out of Britain!

2 hours ago, Earache said:

Getting back to the topic; we could also do a ride in Colorado only and just camp out at our house for a week - day rides mostly and maybe 1-2 overnights away.

3000 miles in 7 days is 430 miles/day... considering it's 2-3 days on each end to get there and back that seems... optimistic? At least I have cruise now so wouldn't have to hold the damn throttle open all the way across Nebraska...