Boreas Pass

Earache

I tried to get up and over Boreas earlier this year, but the Pass was clsoed. Wide open today.

This road used to be a train track; the route to Breckenridge from Denver and the east. Beginning of the pass...

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

• Like 3

I swear to God, the last time I was here there was a train carĀ sitting on these now empty tracks. That was about a year ago. Have no idea where it went.

Probably those fuckin' gypsys - they'll steal anything!

IMG_3046.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

100 miles later and I'm passing through what used to a be a town called Tarryall. The Tarryall School, built in 1898, is slightly more spartan than Fairp[lay's school...

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

• Like 3

Brilliant @Earache.........and you got a train in there too! I'm still hunting for one!

And I'm always amazed at how all the buildings are wooden.

You don't see that here.......they'd probably all burst into flames in the Summer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

Brilliant @Earache.........and you got a train in there too! I'm still hunting for one!

And I'm always amazed at how all the buildings are wooden.

You don't see that here.......they'd probably all burst into flames in the Summer!

Mos tof these places were probably built by one or two guys with limited tools. So wood was probably the easiest and most plentiful materials available. There were no towns to go to get help, stone mason s, etc. So wood it was.

The train station in Black Hawk is all brick, as most of the town's buildings are brick / stoneĀ  - but labor to build them was available here in the big city.

• Like 2

I should do a train thread - every freakin' town here has at least one or two old steam loco's sitting on railsĀ in their town center. Our small town has at least 2-3 of them. Here's one from Idaho Springs - next town over from ours..

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

• Like 3