Midwest USA - Autumn 2022

Earache

One of the last places you'd ever want to ride a motorcycle is Midwestern USA. Flat, hot weather, lots of bugs, high humidity - sounds like paradise eh?

My wife had just purchased her bike and wanted to ride on it in Ohio. Problem is, we live about 1,400 miles west of there. She flew to Ohio for work and was going to stay over and meet me there. I had to ride,

I left Colorado at 0300 and headed east with plans to stay over night in Missouri at my bud Todd's house. First stop for fuel was in eastern Colorado at sun up . Guy in the background had the right idea; bike in the back of a pickup ... 

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

• Like 6

Rode through torrential rains and a couple of tornados across Kansas - always a good time. But I made it to Todd's house 800 miles later and a warm garage...

IMG_1453.JPG

• Like 3

Next day and I'm up early, but there is too much rain and wind to leave. Hung out at Todd's until 11:00 AM or so and then headed out with a route to go around floods in St. Louis. Gonna be a long assed day.

Only the best  food that money could buy for lunch. I skipped the roller food and opted for a couple of donuts and Diet Dew  - which I ate in the rain next to the bike. I was too wet to stay inside, leaving puddles wherever  I stood. Not unusual for me really, but this was rain water this time ... 

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

• Like 2

Made it to my hotel in Indianapolis where I'll meet up with friends Clint and Sunday.

Hotel bar was packed, but I managed to get a stool at the bar and a couple of cold beers down my neck while I waited on Clint to pick me up for dinner....

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

• Like 5

I was going to ride around Indy for the day, but the rains caught up with me. So I Uber'ed over to Clint's house. His dog had just had puppies so he was on nurse duty - feedings every hour...

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

• Like 4

Aside from the humidity, riding in Ohio isn't all that bad.

Lots of abandoned buildings to see and decent roads. Plus, the weather has improved . Pretty cool old sandstone house and chimney from another house that is no longer there ... 

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

• Like 5

Ohio has loads of Federal style homes built during the American Civil War (1860's) that sit empty near old farms. Would love to buy one and fix it up as I really like the style of the homes ...  

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

• Like 4

Next day and it's time to head west again. Raging storms across Kansas again so I plan a northernly route through Chicago and Nebraska.

But first, breakfast at a truck stop ... again.

There is little else to eat out here. It's either fast food or this. And this is cheap and fast ....

IMG_1510.JPG

• Like 3

Then into Chicago; another hotel room and another hotel bar. Why do they all look the same? And check out those pint prices!!! Getting drunk ain't cheap!

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

• Like 2

So why did I even go to Iowa?  Baxter's Cycle Shop in Marne, Iowa, that's why. "Your British Bike Superstore"

I dunno about the "superstore" portion of their claim, but they have tons of cool shit. Mostly used, vintage and refurbished bikes...

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

• Like 5