2022 Ducati Streetfighter V4 SP First Ride

Hugh Janus

Pony up $35,500 and you can get the most extreme example of the Ducati Streetfighter V4 so far: the 2022 Streetfighter V4 SP.
Pony up $35,500 and you can get the most extreme example of the Ducati Streetfighter V4 so far: the 2022 Streetfighter V4 SP. (AlexPhoto/)

Let’s put this into context: Ducati’s Streetfighter V4 S didn’t need an upgrade. It is comfortably positioned as the king of the hyper-naked market. With a Desmosedici Stradale 90-degree V-4 pushing out an incredible claimed 208 hp, it kicks sand in the face of the competition and, on track, laps faster than any other naked machine in history… But, hell, it got upgraded anyway.

Did the Streetfighter V4 S need an upgrade? Nope. But Ducati did it anyway, and it’s good.
Did the Streetfighter V4 S need an upgrade? Nope. But Ducati did it anyway, and it’s good. (AlexPhoto/)

While the SP’s 208 hp V-4 remains unchanged from the one in the two existing Streetfighter variants, a seriously spec’d-up chassis features lightweight carbon wheels that are 3.1 pounds lighter (also deployed on the Superleggera), an STM EVO-SBK dry clutch, more track-focused Öhlins Smart EC 2.0 suspension, Brembo Stylema R braking, adjustable aluminium footpegs, and the stunning “winter test” livery.

And given that the 2022 Panigale V4 SP2 sold out in just over a week, it’s perhaps understandable that the Bologna factory was tempted to rustle up an SP version of the immensely popular Streetfighter V4. At $35,500 there is no hiding its price, but Ducati has all but sold out already, so if you want one, you’re going to have to be quick. Ducati won’t confirm how many SPs have been produced—just to up the ante.

As mentioned, Ducati has left the Desmosedici Stradale engine and fueling alone, meaning it’s exactly the same as found on the V4 and V4 S. To be fair, not many will be complaining given that the 1,103cc V-4 produces a staggering 208 hp at 13,000 rpm in standard form, with a whopping 90.4 pound-feet of torque at 9,500 rpm.

Carbon fiber wheels are 3.1 pounds lighter than the aluminum units found on the V4 S.
Carbon fiber wheels are 3.1 pounds lighter than the aluminum units found on the V4 S. (AlexPhoto/)

Retro Rattle

However, like the Panigale V4 SP2, Ducati has added a dry clutch, rekindling memories of Ducati superbikes from the late 20th century and firing nostalgia glands into overdrive. According to Ducati, the STM EVO-SBK dry clutch “ensures more effective anti-hopping”—and it’s easier to change, of course—but we all know it was really fitted because its rattle sounds so retro cool.

There’s a distinctive Ducati bark from the standard exhaust too, amplified by the effortless quickshifter. Trundling down pit lane of northern Italy’s Cremona racetrack, clutch rattle reverberating off the garages, with a few sharp blips of the throttle to add to the occasion, I’m already feeling a little bit SP special myself.

Ducati claims the  STM EVO-SBK dry clutch has a more effective slipper function than the wet clutch.
Ducati claims the STM EVO-SBK dry clutch has a more effective slipper function than the wet clutch. (AlexPhoto/)

On the Track

Ducati allowed me three sessions on the Streetfighter V4 S before I jumped on the SP. We already know both machines share the same engine and produce the same quoted power, but after half a lap I’d swear the SP has more. Even at a relatively slow pace, it feels livelier. Once up to speed, it certainly feels like it has more grunt.

Exiting the second-gear late-apex left onto the 900-meter back straight, it’s throttle to the stop, rider aids busy controlling power, slide, and front-wheel lift. The SP drives ridiculously hard and feels even faster than the very fast V4 S. But it’s not the engine making the difference. It’s the wheels. The lightweight carbon rims mean significantly less inertia, and help the SP accelerate with even more crazed aggression than the Streetfighter V4 S. A bit like running in lightweight trainers as opposed to heavy Dr. Marten boots, but faster.

Acceleration is more frenetic than the V4 S, even with the same power figures.
Acceleration is more frenetic than the V4 S, even with the same power figures. (AlexPhoto/)

The V-4 loves to rev in all three Streetfighter variants but in the SP things seem to happen extremely quickly. At first, you instinctively fire in a quick gear change well before the redline. You soon realize you can take the SP to the redline in each gear, and it loves it. The acceleration doesn’t tail off but keeps driving and surging forward, the limiting factor not the bike but how much you can physically take as you contort into the smallest possible shape, helmet pressed against nose, head possibly about to be ripped from shoulders. At the end of the circuit’s 900-meter straightaway the SP was indicating 173 mph before fear and the need to jump on the Stylema R stoppers kicked in.

The sheer rev-ability and punch of the Desmo Stradale allows you to treat the SP like a racebike, melting tarmac as it digs in between corners, or holding onto a gear, occasionally bouncing off the rev limiter for a fraction of a second, before peeling into the next turn. Yes, you can ride conventionally using the bike’s torque and short-shifting. But for the best results, take in a deep breath, trust in Ducati’s excellent rider aids, and thrash it.

The Streetfighter V4 SP responds best to aggressive riding—both chassis and engine.
The Streetfighter V4 SP responds best to aggressive riding—both chassis and engine. (AlexPhoto/)

The Ducati Streetfighter V4 S has an Öhlins Smart EC 2.0 semi-active suspension specifically designed for the S to work mainly on the road. The SP uses a similar system, but one transferred from the Panigale of 2020-21, with a slight change to the spring preload, and is therefore much more track-focused than the Streetfighter V4 S. The SP has the same travel, but stiffer front springs, more oil, and different shims.

As mentioned, the wheels are 3.1 pounds lighter and, overall, the SP is 6.6 pounds lighter. There’s a grippier track-focused seat and the adjustable aluminum pegs are set slightly higher. But the gearing, power, chassis geometry, and wheelbase are as before.

Two Seconds Quicker

During my warmup ride on the V4 S, I didn’t think there would be much difference between the bikes. I was very wrong. On the same track, in the same weather conditions and with the same Pirelli slick tires, I was two seconds a lap faster on the SP. Perhaps there was an element of getting used to the circuit on the S, but I had three 20-minute sessions on the red bike and within three laps on the SP was already one second quicker. Once familiar with the feel of the new SP, that difference quickly became two seconds, and the bike was easier to ride as well.

Those lighter carbon wheels make the SP feel faster, but the largest noticeable difference between the two models is the handling. Rolling into corners, the SP is easier to manage and turns with less effort. Once into the corner, the suspension holds the chassis immaculately; there’s less squat and with slightly higher pegs more ground clearance. On the V4 S, I’d occasionally brush my toe sliders, giving the sensation I was bordering on the limit. Now, with a stiffer chassis and more ground clearance, I was able to let off the brakes a fraction earlier, carry more corner speed and allow the bike to flow with more lean and more speed.

Slightly higher footpeg placement along with suspension that sits higher in the stroke while concerning increases the available lean angle.
Slightly higher footpeg placement along with suspension that sits higher in the stroke while concerning increases the available lean angle. (AlexPhoto/)

In the slower flip-flop section of the Cremona circuit, the SP was also faster to change direction, took less effort to turn, and was arguably more accurate as it went apex to apex with precision. If I felt I was slightly wide, it was easier to correct a mistake.

All these factors accounted not just for a faster lap time, but a bike that is far easier to ride on track. Pushing for a fast lap on the V4 S was hard work; achieving the same lap time on the SP was less fatiguing. Fast trackday riders will feel more relaxed and less drained on the SP, especially after half a dozen 20-minute sessions. Yes, it’s still enormously physical. How can clinging to a 208 hp beast while getting smashed by the wind blast at 280 kph be anything else? But the light feel of the SP combined with its handling accuracy make the SP a superior track bike to the V4 S.

As far as road riding is concerned, this was unfortunately a track-only test performed on Pirelli slicks. Ducati even removed the number plate and mirrors. Ducati has changed the seat for a grippier perch for track use and it’s for solo use only. The adjustable pegs are a fraction higher than the V4 S’, but only a fraction. The semi-active suspension is more track-oriented, but in the softer Street mode should react accordingly.

But the lighter feeling on track should also be felt on the road, while low-speed fueling should continue to be excellent. Plus the SP comes with excellent rider aids including quickshifter and lean-sensitive ABS and TC. The dry clutch has a heavier action than the V4 S, but this is only needed to select first gear then becomes redundant.

Again, fuel economy should be on par with the V4 S, which was never excellent. Ducati quotes 31 mpg, but it’s all too easy to have some fun, get the V-4 revving and that fuel figure will drop to 29 mpg or worse. If ridden hard you’ll need to start looking for fuel at 93 miles. On track you’ll need to take spare fuel or fill up at lunchtime.

Stylema R calipers are fitted to the V4 SP, the same units found on the Panigale Superleggera.
Stylema R calipers are fitted to the V4 SP, the same units found on the Panigale Superleggera. (AlexPhoto/)

You don’t get off the Streetfighter V4 S thinking that it needs better brakes. They are very strong, don’t fade, and are backed up by excellent Bosch cornering ABS Evo electronics. The SP has the same software running new algorithms, but now the brakes have been upgraded to the Stylema R items, first featured on the Superleggera, which I tested in Mugello back in 2020.

With added cooling to stop brake fade, these stoppers are immensely strong but not overwhelming. On test, the SP went repeatedly from 173 mph to second gear at the end of each lap, and even after a few sessions I was still braking too early with plenty in reserve. It’s amazing how late you can brake, and not only because the SP brakes are the next level. The lightness of the wheels reduces the stopping distance further while increasing stability. This is also aided by those huge carbon wings, which incidentally now feature a small Italian flag on the side.

Rider Aids

Rider aids remain the same as the V4 S but have been recalibrated with new algorithms to compensate for the change in handling and performance. Put simply, the SP accelerates faster, spins up faster, and brakes later, therefore the SP runs the same rider aids but with new parameters. The list is extensive: three riding modes, Bosch cornering ABS Evo, traction control, wheelie control, slide control, and engine-brake control. And don’t forget the standard up-and-down quickshifter and Öhlins Smart EC 2.0 suspension.

The lean-sensitive rider aids are simply incredible; I rode in the standard Race mode on track and found them faultless. The Pirelli slicks provide excellent mechanical grip, giving the TC and slide control an easy time, but the wheelie control was working overtime, allowing the front to lift but still propelling you forward with severe acceleration. Ducati has wisely lowered the torque in the first four gears, only giving you full power from the fifth gear onward, which makes the SP and S easier to ride on tight and twisty tracks.

Set it and forget it; Race mode on the Streetfighter V4 SP is perfectly suited for track use.
Set it and forget it; Race mode on the Streetfighter V4 SP is perfectly suited for track use. (AlexPhoto/)

You can tailor and trim the rider aids to how and where you ride. Standard Race mode was ideal, and would only need to be trimmed as tire or physical degradation become factors, adding some TC to help me and the bike out.

Ducati hasn’t increased power or torque or tweaked the SP’s Desmo Stradale in any way, yet on a back-to-back test against the Ducati Streetfighter V4 S, I managed to lap two seconds a lap quicker. Even ignoring the lap times, the SP is easier to ride faster; handling, stopping, and acceleration have all been improved, which inevitably cuts lap times. The V4 S’ excellent rider aids remain, and the only downside to the SP will be slightly less on-road comfort and a slightly heavier clutch. However, I’ll take the dry clutch every time. It sounds wonderful and adds to the already deep character of the V-4.

Ducati has once again produced something very special. The SP is arguably the fastest, most exotic, and most desirable naked bike on the market. It’s just a shame they’re nearly all sold out.

By the time you are reading this all of the Streetfighter V4 SP models may be sold… Pity. Unless you got one; then, good for you.
By the time you are reading this all of the Streetfighter V4 SP models may be sold… Pity. Unless you got one; then, good for you. (AlexPhoto/)

2022 Ducati Streetfighter V4 SP Specifications

MSRP: $35,500
Engine: Liquid-cooled V-4; 4 valves/cyl.
Displacement: 1,103cc
Bore x Stroke: 81.0 x 53.5mm
Compression Ratio: 14.0:1
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Claimed Horsepower: 208 hp @ 12,750 rpm
Claimed Torque: 90.4 lb.-ft. @ 11,500 rpm
Fuel System: Electronic fuel injection; ride-by-wire
Clutch: Dry, multiplate slipper; hydraulic actuation
Frame: Aluminum
Front Suspension: 43mm Öhlins NIX 30 w/ electronically adjustable compression and rebound damping; 4.7 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Öhlins TTX 36 w/ electronically adjustable compression and rebound damping; 5.1 in. travel
Front Brake: Brembo 4-piston Stylema Monoblock calipers, dual 330mm discs w/ Cornering ABS Evo
Rear Brake: 2-piston caliper, 245mm disc w/ Cornering ABS Evo
Wheels, Front/Rear: Carbon fiber; 17 x 3.50 in. / 17 x 6.00 in.
Tires, Front/Rear: Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II; 120/70ZR-17 / 200/60ZR-17
Rake/Trail: 24.5°/4.0 in.
Wheelbase: 58.6 in.
Seat Height: 33.3 in.
Fuel Capacity: 4.2 gal.
Claimed Wet Weight: 432 lb.

Source

From the side it looks like they used a big hammer to set the headlight/clusterfuckiethingie on the bike. 

Proper clocks and the bike is fixed. :littleguy: