Custom ear plugs

Buckster

You will remember I had these delivered the other day, I finally tried them out yesterday.

20230413_155838.thumb.jpg.1e74bc28969ed8af9645821f5d9b932f.jpg20230413_155902.thumb.jpg.2e2d54ba5276571d7d11fb045e1d22f8.jpg

When I put them in I immediately noticed that they were not as deep in my ears as the not custom plugs and I thought I would hear a lot more that with my previous ear plugs. Well I was right, I can hear a lot more as these are filtered but they are quieter which seems like an oxymoron. The really high frequencies are filtered out and lower frequencies are “damped” which means I can hear the motor and some of my surroundings but in a way that is entirely comfortable, I was riding with the open face yesterday, there was no wind noise present with these plugs. The triple tree wind deflector has cured the drumming I used to get above 70mph as well which was caused by updraft catching the front of my lid. 
The other thing I noticed with the plugs was that they didn’t shift while riding, usually one of them shifts at some point with the conventional ear plugs, I took the 70 mile route home from the dealers after taking the six mile route there. The custom plugs are also super comfortable as expected, I should have got some of these years ago.

• Like 4

I had a set of custom ear plugs made by one of the doctors for an Indy Car Team while we lived in Indianapolis about 25 years ago. He put speakers in them designed for voice comms - same as the race car teams used.

They worked great for about two years then the silicon / rubber part got kinda hard and they no longer fit as well.

Great while they lasted though. I suspect that Buck's will last longer as they're probably made from more modern stuff.

• Like 1