Initial Motorcycle Braking In Simple Terms

Hugh Janus

The initial action of braking is loading the tires. This thought can help new riders become more comfortable with the process of focusing on brake pressure, tire grip, and the motorcycle’s path.
The initial action of braking is loading the tires. This thought can help new riders become more comfortable with the process of focusing on brake pressure, tire grip, and the motorcycle’s path. (Cycle World Archives/)

Trinidad and Tobago is located in the southeastern West Indies, an island country that forms the southern-most links in the Caribbean chain. That small country has a track, Wallerfield International Raceway, and the riders there are interested in YCRS coaching. To that end, Colleen Rainford came to our school to audit and report back to the riding community of Trinidad.

Rainford is a pastor at the Heavenly Lights Ministry in Trinidad, a new rider intent on learning as much as she can as quickly as she can. She’s motivated to master her 300 Ninja, but her motivation to bring ChampSchool to her island is also driven by her interest in curbing motorcycle accidents and fatalities on the islands. She has been brought to tears by island motorcycle deaths; those experiences have made her double down on her own training. She is our favorite type of student: all in.

This short intro is to bring this new rider’s thoughts on braking to you. ChampSchool evolves because of our interaction with students; our programs affect our students in individual ways and those reactions help us move forward in our simple goal: Teach more in less time.

New-Rider Truth

I’ve written before about student inputs that help the instructors explain things better; “It’s clear to me that as the pace quickens, the options narrow” was a classic student truth. During a conversation on braking, Rainford said, “I see that the first part of braking has nothing to do with slowing—it’s to get the tires loaded.” We had been discussing covering the brakes and the initial smoothness, but her simple words cut to the heart of the matter and I wanted to share them with all riders.

Colleen Rainford, riding on the island of Trinidad, brings a clear message on initial braking.
Colleen Rainford, riding on the island of Trinidad, brings a clear message on initial braking. (Rainford Collection/)

We can say “be smooth” and “don’t grab,” but Rainford’s view on initial braking simplifies this into terms that could help all riders get the tires loaded before serious braking begins. It’s only milliseconds of load, but Rainford sees it as the reason behind brake initiation. I like that outlook and wanted to pass it along to you for your next ride.

Your next ride, and every ride, should include braking practice, especially if you own and ride multiple bikes. Rainford’s description of what initial braking does will help all riders who are scared of the brakes—something we see at ChampSchool. Using the first part of braking, which is the initial lever pull or pedal push, with the thought of loading the tire helps keep your brain calm and focus on brake pressure, tire grip, and your bike’s path. Once those tires are loaded, riders can build pressure with confidence.

Many times, a new rider’s view helps veterans explain core principles like ChampSchool’s “Load the tire before you work the tire.” Rainford observed, “The first part of braking has nothing to do with slowing—it’s to get the tires loaded.” Truth.

More next Tuesday!

Source