2020 TM EN 250 Fi ES 2T Review First Ride

Hugh Janus

Riding the 2020 TM EN 250 Fi ES 2T in the hills of Southern California.
Riding the 2020 TM EN 250 Fi ES 2T in the hills of Southern California. (Mark Kariya/)

For 2020, TM Racing has released the EN 250 Fi ES 2T. It’s a 250cc, fuel-injected, two-stroke enduro bike that meets the E4 European homologation requirements. While this does not sound like a big deal in North America, it translates to this bike being available as a street-legal version in Europe.

We know two-stroke electronic fuel injection is already available from other manufacturers, but for TM, this is a sizable investment into its two-stroke models. The Italian company produces roughly 1,250 motorcycles per year for the world market, about 250 of which are sold in the United States. Currently, there are only five of these bikes available in the US, and the one we tested was the first to arrive.

If you are interested in purchasing one of these new TMs, don’t worry, they are readily available. Since TM is a smaller-sized company, you can special order an EN 250 Fi ES 2T built to your specifications. It will custom-build the bike in Italy and have it shipped via airfreight direct to your nearest dealer. The estimated cost for shipping is $500, which is only $150 more than the usual $350 US shipping charge to the dealer.

This additional cost is easily offset by some of the personalized options available. For example, not having to buy optional fork and shock springs could easily offset the additional $150 for shipping. Other options to consider include upgrading to an Öhlins TTX shock, oversize 12-liter (3.2-gallon) fuel tank, racing wire harness, radiator fan kit, different handlebars, an all-white plastic kit, 19-inch rear wheel, and different gearing.

2020 TM EN 250 Fi ES 2T Engine

The EN 250 Fi ES 2T engine was all-new in 2019 with the addition of a counterbalancer and electric start. For MY20, TM went a step further and added electronic fuel injection to the bike.
The EN 250 Fi ES 2T engine was all-new in 2019 with the addition of a counterbalancer and electric start. For MY20, TM went a step further and added electronic fuel injection to the bike. (Mark Kariya/)

The engine in the EN 250 Fi ES 2T was all-new in 2019 when TM added a counterbalancer, electric start, and pushrod system to the power valve to improve accuracy. For 2020, it took the next step and added electronic fuel injection.

The Transfer Port Injection (TPI) has two injectors—one in each side of the cylinder transfer ports. The two-stroke oil is stored in the right-side frame spar and injected into the engine via an electric pump just after the throttle body. The 39mm throttle body is manufactured in-house by TM Racing as are the electronics that control the entire system.

The two-stroke oil is stored in the right-side frame spar and is injected into the engine via an electric pump just after the throttle body. For suspension, the EN 250 Fi ES two-stroke uses a KYB 48mm coil-spring fork and a shock made by TM Racing.
The two-stroke oil is stored in the right-side frame spar and is injected into the engine via an electric pump just after the throttle body. For suspension, the EN 250 Fi ES two-stroke uses a KYB 48mm coil-spring fork and a shock made by TM Racing. (Mark Kariya/)

The engine starts well and seems to be ready to go with minimal warm-up time. Of all the TPI two-stroke bikes I have ridden, the EN 250 Fi ES 2T engine has the most carbureted feel. It is lively and has a good hit that keeps you on your toes on dry or slippery dirt. It is very much what you would expect from a 250cc two-stroke. There is a map switch that helps to smooth out the hit and it works reasonably well.

The EN 250 Fi ES 2T comes equipped with a five-speed gearbox. It offers an enduro low first gear, normal motocross second through fourth, and a taller-than-usual fifth gear. The stock gearing is 13:50, and TM Racing has front sprockets ranging in sizes from 12- to 14-tooth and rear sprockets ranging from 38- to 52-tooth. The gearbox shifts well and the gear spacing feels reasonable.

Of all the TPI two-stroke bikes we have ridden, the EN 250 Fi ES 2T engine has the most carbureted feel.
Of all the TPI two-stroke bikes we have ridden, the EN 250 Fi ES 2T engine has the most carbureted feel. (Mark Kariya/)

The hydraulic clutch features a Brembo master cylinder and a slave cylinder that is made by TM Racing. A quick adjust lever puts your fingers in the right spot and it operates smoothly with a good engagement point.

2020 TM EN 250 Fi ES 2T Suspension & Chassis/Handling

The stock suspension performed well, but the shock seemed stiffer than the fork, which created a bit of a stink bug feeling. However, it was not a significant issue and could easily be improved with some minor adjustments.
The stock suspension performed well, but the shock seemed stiffer than the fork, which created a bit of a stink bug feeling. However, it was not a significant issue and could easily be improved with some minor adjustments. (Mark Kariya/)

The EN 250 Fi ES 2T features a twin-spar aluminum frame with a linkage-equipped swingarm and shock design. In comparison to the Italian manufacturer’s four-stroke bikes, the configuration of TM’s two-strokes are fairly traditional with the gas tank up front and the airbox behind the shock.

For suspension, the EN 250 Fi ES 2T uses a KYB 48mm coil-spring fork and a shock made by TM Racing. The standard fork spring rate is 0.44 kg/mm and the shock spring rate is 4.6 kg/mm. Oddly, the brakes are not paired up in terms of brand. The front brake system is from Brembo and the rear is Nissin.

The billet triple clamps have a 23mm offset, and the bike also comes with rubber-mounted bar clamps that are reversible. There is a compact combo switch on the handlebar that comes standard and includes a turn signal, horn, and engine kill button. This is one of the items that is removed with the optional racing wire harness.

The EN 250 Fi ES 2T’s slim chassis makes it very easy to move around on, and the fit and finish of the bodywork leaves nothing to become hung up on.
The EN 250 Fi ES 2T’s slim chassis makes it very easy to move around on, and the fit and finish of the bodywork leaves nothing to become hung up on. (Mark Kariya/)

The stock suspension performed well, but with a little of a stink bug feeling—possibly because the shock seemed stiffer than the fork. This was not a significant issue and could easily be improved with some minor adjustments. One thing I tried was rotating the bar mounts to the rearward position (forward being stock). This helped with ride position on the bike and transferred more weight to the back of the bike, which thereby improved rear wheel traction.

The only time the fork was noticeably too soft was if I overjumped anything, in which case it would bottom and the front fender would rub on the tire, making a noticeable noise. With more time, I am certain this could be improved with some adjustments to the fork or possibly adding a little more oil in it. I would say if you weigh more than 180 pounds, you may want to consider stiffer fork springs on this bike.

I was comfortable with the ergonomics right from the get-go. The rider triangle is comfortable and I think it would suit a wide range of riders. The bike we tested was equipped with the optional larger 12-liter (3.2-gallon) fuel tank that, despite its large capacity, was absolutely not noticeable when riding. Moving around on the slim chassis was very easy, and the fit and finish of the bodywork left nothing to become hung up on.

How Does The 2020 TM EN 250 Fi ES 2T Ride?

Although the EN 250 Fi ES 2T is classified as an enduro model, it leans well into the racebike category.
Although the EN 250 Fi ES 2T is classified as an enduro model, it leans well into the racebike category. (Mark Kariya/)

We started out the day on TM Racing USA’s private test loop. It’s roughly a four-minute lap with plenty of elevation changes, some sand, hardpack, and rocks. The folks at TM Racing USA even built several fun jumps into the elevation changes. With the exception of some high-speed sections, the loop offered just a little bit of everything you might encounter on a West Coast-type racecourse.

The EN 250 Fi ES 2T is not short on power and for a fuel-injected two-stroke, it certainly has more of a carbureted feel. I would say this is a strong point because adding EFI to most engines can make the powerband a little too linear or soft. It took me a few laps to get comfortable with the pipey two-stroke power, but once I remembered to keep the rpm up and use a little more rear brake for traction control, the power became much more usable. The map switch made a noticeable difference, but I am curious how the engine would react to a heavier flywheel.

The more I rode the EN 250 Fi ES 2T, the better it got. Even though it is classified as an enduro model, I would say it leans well into the racebike category. It has a powerful motor, a slim, lightweight chassis, and good cornering ability. For an Italian bike, it has a Japanese bike feeling.

TM Racing USA Director Ralf Schmidt indicated the bike will be available for more testing and, with a little luck, we will be able to do a race test on one of these EN 250 Fi ES 2T models. With just a few more adjustments, I would be excited to line up on one of these bikes and see how it performs in a race environment. Keep an eye here on dirtrider.com for a possible full race test in the upcoming months.

Gearbox

Helmet: Shoei VFX-EVO

Goggle: 100% Racecraft

Hydration Pack: USWE Outlander 3

Jersey: Thor MX Pulse

Gloves: Thor MX Rebound

Pant: Thor MX Pulse

Boots: Sidi Crossfire 3 SRS

2020 TM EN 250 Fi ES 2T Tech Spec

PRICE $9,795
ENGINE 249cc, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder two-stroke
TRANSMISSION/FINAL DRIVE 5-speed/chain
FRAME Aluminum perimeter
FRONT SUSPENSION KYB 48mm coil-spring fork adjustable for compression damping, and rebound damping
REAR SUSPENSION TM Racing shock adjustable for spring preload, high-/low-speed compression damping, and rebound damping
FRONT BRAKE Brembo 2-piston caliper, 270mm disc
REAR BRAKE Nissin 1-piston caliper, 245mm disc
FUEL CAPACITY 2.25 gal.
AVAILABLE Now
CONTACT tmracing-usa.com

Source