Comfort/Fit 9.5/10
Quality/Design 9.5/10
Weight 8.5/10
Options/Selection 8.5/10
Innovation 9.5/10
Weather Suitability 10.0/10
Desirable/Cool Factor 9.0/10
Overall Score91.5/100

In motorcycles, we frequently see tremendous loyalty in consumables like brake pads and tires. Because of their long life cycle, riding gear isn’t usually thought of as a consumable (except, perhaps, from crash damage), but if you use something long enough, it will eventually wear out. Boots and gloves suffer the stresses of everyday use more than other riding gear and, consequently, fall into this category. 

Dainese Torque RS Out Air – Review

My five-year-old Dainese Torque RS Out Air boots were ready for retirement. The soles were worn bald, and the outer TPU was ground away in a couple of places from MO’s two forays into endurance mini racing. They’d been my everyday boot for hot SoCal weather seemingly forever, suffering through 100-plus degree track days, sport rides, commuting, and hiking through the underbrush during photo shoots. While the comfort and protection were still top notch, they were beginning to look pretty haggard, and the soles were offering less grip. So, as I frequently do when I’m thinking about a product, I found myself online late at night researching vented boots, only to discover that I simply wanted to replace my workhorse boots with the updated version, the Dainese Torque 3 Out Air (available for just $10 more than my original pair). 

092821-Dainese-Torque-3-Out-Air-EBB20263

Well-earned battle scars: The Dainese Torque RS Out Air boots served me well for five years.

What makes the Dainese Torque 3 Out Air so special is really a combination of several features. Working from the inside out, the interior offers a unique fit-adjusting system. Because of my many years of running, I have Morton’s neuroma in my left foot, which requires that I wear a boot/shoe slightly larger than my foot to give my toes a place to splay out when I walk or place my weight on the pegs. The Torque 3s have an internal speed-lacing system that, with the pull of a locking drawstring, cinches the boot’s upper down across the top of my foot near the ankle joint, giving me a snug, movement-free fit in my ankle and heel along with the room I need around the front of the foot. This custom fit goes a long way towards making the Torque 3s comfortable during a day’s use on and off the bike. 

The next layers out are the microfiber and D-Stone fabric that forms the upper along with the TPU exterior armor. The perforated upper flows massive amounts of air, and at speed, you can actually feel the moisture (and heat) being wicked away. The air channeling works so well that I can even feel it flowing up behind the solid sections of the armor. 

092821-Dainese-Torque-3-Out-Air-EBB20218

One of the improvements to the Torque 3s is the larger air intake just below the accordion panel. The perforations in the upper also flow tremendous amounts of air.

And then there is the armor. The toe box has an internal nylon reinforcement. Moving back from the toes are shifter pads on both boots for added stiffness and protection from stones. The heel cup is constructed of TPU with a protective internal nylon case and features an integrated magnesium slider to aid in, well, sliding and dissipate impacts. Ankle joints present a challenge for boot manufacturers because they must be protected yet remain flexible. Dainese has resolved this issue with its D-Axial system, which is a big TPU hinge mimicking the movement of the rider’s ankle. (A key ingredient in the Torque 3’s all-day comfort.) This solid structure minimizes the twisting of the ankle in a tumble. 

092821-Dainese-Torque-3-Out-Air-EBB20227

The exoskeleton’s flexible ankle hinge combines with the accordion panel to make the boots easy to walk in and manipulate the motorcycle’s controls.

The Dainese Torque 3 Out Air boots also have several other convenience features. The rear zippered entry makes them easy to don and doff, the rear tongue acting as a shoehorn into these snug-fitting boots. Then there is the rear zipper itself making closing the boot simple. The dual rear hook-and-loop flaps allow for easily fine-tuning the boot opening for a comfortably snug fit whether you’re wearing them over your leathers (the Out in the boot name) or inside of your riding jeans. Finally the magnesium toe sliders wear extremely well and are easily replaced with an Allen key. 

092821-Dainese-Torque-3-Out-Air-EBB20256

Lots of features in one photo: The drawstring for the speed lace insures a snug fit, the plate covering the Achilles tendon acts as a shoehorn, and the boot opening is adjustable thanks to the two panels on either side of the rear zipper.

If you frequently ride in a hot, dry environment, I highly recommend the Dainese Torque 3 Out Air. For $400, you get a comfortable, protective, and cool boot for almost any type of street riding. The black color is non-descript enough to be worn in the everyday world, and the protection is solid enough for track use. The Dainese Torque 3 Out Air are available in Euro sizes 39-47 in either Black/Anthracite or Black/White/Lava-Red, and are also available in the same colors and price in women’s Euro sizes 36-42. 

092821-Dainese-Torque-3-Out-Air-EBB20221

The sole is grippy on the pegs, but it does wear faster than the rest of the boot.

Check prices for the Men’s Dainese Torque 3 Out Air here

Check prices for the Women’s Dainese Torque 3 Out Air here

Dainese Torque 3 Out Air
Colors Black/Anthracite and Black/White/Lava-Red
Sizes Euro 39-47 (men’s), Euro 36-42 (women’s)
Safety Standards ECE

Dainese Torque 3 Out Air FAQ

Is Dainese Italian?
Yes, Dainese was founded in the Italian town of Molvena and is today headquartered in Colceresa, Italy.

Where is Dainese gear made?
While all Dainese gear is designed in Italy, its products are made in many different countries. For example, the Torque 3 Out Air boots are manufactured in Romania.

What does the Dainese logo mean?
The red devil logo traces its roots to the earliest days of Dainese, where “The first logo featured a speed demon as a symbol of dynamism and rebellion.”

Additional Resources

Best Motorcycle Track Boots

Best Waterproof Motorcycle Boots

MO Tested: Alpinestars Supertech R Boots Review

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.

Become a Motorcycle.com insider. Get the latest motorcycle news first by subscribing to our newsletter here.

The post MO Tested: Dainese Torque 3 Out Air Review appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Motorcyclefeed/~4/2wdzO0BBprE

Source