How Much Power Does the 2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim Make?

Hugh Janus

The 2021 Softail Slim is a classic-styled American cruiser that’s built upon—I’m sure you guessed it—Harley-Davidson’s Softail platform. Powering the Softail Slim is Harley-Davidson’s eight-valve Milwaukee-Eight Big Twin 107ci (1,745cc) engine, which is also seen in the current Softail Standard and Sport Glide as well as some Touring models. But what sets it apart? Stripped-down styling with cut-back fenders, floorboards, and relaxed ergonomics.

The 2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim produced a peak 73.66 horsepower at 4.860 rpm and 98.39 pound-feet of torque at 2,790 rpm.
The 2021 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim produced a peak 73.66 horsepower at 4.860 rpm and 98.39 pound-feet of torque at 2,790 rpm. (Robert Martin/)

We strapped the Softail Slim to our in-house Dynojet 250i dyno, recording horsepower and torque measurements ahead of an upcoming comparison test. The Harley-Davidson produced 73.66 peak horsepower at 4,860 rpm and has a very linear, rider-friendly delivery on the way there. Note the torque curve’s usability as it shoots up from 1,300 rpm and steadily climbs to its 98.39 pound-feet peak output at 2,790 before beginning to taper off at 3,000 rpm.

Source

Considering they show a video of it on a dyno and describe it as being strapped to a Dynojet I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's rear wheel HP... ?

Not that it matters, that's pretty low for a 1.7L engine in 2021 no matter where it's measured. 

And as long as I'm being bitchy... they claim "We strapped the Softail Slim to our in-house Dynojet 250i dyno, recording horsepower and torque measurements..." yet a Dynojet measures neither torque nor horsepower. Being an inertia dyno it measures the time it takes to spin up the roller and calculates the rest. 

And now that I've blathered on about all THAT, I see the video is now of a Ducati Desert Sled, so disregard the video comment?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3