Arizona ride in May 2024

Earache

My riding buddy Todd and I wanted to get a jump on the riding season and scheduled a trip to Arizona for mid May. Our plan was to depart my house and head due south. Great plan, but it was cold as shit when on the day we were to leave with additional snow in the forecast for when we were to return. Time for Plan B.

We loaded a trailer up and headed west to Grand Junction, Colorado where it was warmer and he could head south from there,

2680 miles route.jpg

IMG_0485.JPG

• Like 2

Grand Junction is in the western desert so there was no snow. Just a bit chilly but we were okay with that. Dropped the truck and trailer ....

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

• Like 3

On to our oh so swanky hotel in Monticello, Utah. Town was a barren wasteland and we were lucky that they even had a hotel, so I should bitch too much. Even had an adjacent Mexican restaurant with decent food ...

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

• Like 2

American Indian reservations are kinda odd. At every gas stop, you're swarmed by feral dogs looking for some handout to eat. Big groups of them are at each fuel stop waiting for food....

IMG_0526.JPG

• Like 2

Passed by an old schoolhouse in Strawberry . Not open so I shot through the windows .... 

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

• Like 3

Stopped by a reservoir for break and it was officially hot as fuck out -105F / 42C. Had us rethinking our decision to ride Arizona. Heat was hitting hard as I was still used to below freezing temperatures of home ... 

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

• Like 2

Had a bit of an injury on this trip. I'd like to say it was a result of staving off a tank slapper with my superior riding skills while  doing 135 mph through a tight sweeper. But the truth is a bit more mundane - I slipped in the bath tub and biffed my arm on the way down. Fuckin' hurt!

IMG_4859A.jpg

IMG_4860.jpg

• Haha 1

To soothe my pain, we're off to the hotel bar and then a fine dining experience at the restaurant. As usual, we got drunk at the bar and never made it to the restaurant. Maybe tomorrow night....

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not a lot happening here but some nice older architecture. Most of the town is just kind of over run with hippie types, not doing much of anything . Pretty stark contrast to the last time I was here about 30 years ago. It was a vibrant little town then....

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

• Like 2

Saw this cool old steel entrance door. Almost looked like the top of an old stamped steel coffin. Very cool ...

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

• Like 4

A mile or two outta town and we've gone as far south as we can as we hit the wall at the border with Mexico .... 

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

• Like 2

Headed back north and stopped off to see Todd's grandfather in Safford, AZ . Nice place to spend eternity ....

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

• Like 2

Then we headed north again on a good twisty mountain road. The road surface was kinda fucked up due to the heat - had lots of tar strips and patches but the ADV bikes soaked up the imperfections without too much issue. Would have sucked on a crusier type bike...

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

• Like 2

The road snaked it's way north for about 170 miles with no stops along the  way. Almost ran outta fuel but it was a fun ride....

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

• Like 3