BMW G 310 R Gets Euro 5 Compliance and Additional Features

Hugh Janus

The 2021 BMW G 310 R. There’s no word yet on availability.
The 2021 BMW G 310 R. There’s no word yet on availability. (BMW Motorrad /)

For 2021, BMW refreshes the G 310 R, its single-cylinder entry-level roadster, with new styling, a slipper clutch, ride-by-wire throttle, LED lighting, and Euro 5 homologation.

LED DRL is a highlight of the more focussed design.
LED DRL is a highlight of the more focussed design. (BMW Motorrad/)

The G 310 R and G 310 GS, introduced in 2018 and built in India by TVS, are important gateway models into the BMW Motorrad fold. The 313cc single’s unique rearward orientation (think: rear cylinder bank of engines with V layouts) also has a “backward” cylinder head layout in which the exhaust port exits at the rear to create a more compact unit. BMW claims it produces 34 hp at 9,500 rpm and 21 pound-feet of torque at 7,500 rpm. For 2021, the G 310 R benefits from the addition of a slipper clutch. BMW also equipped it with a new ride-by-wire throttle, or what it terms an “electromotive throttle controller,” which one can only hope is an odd translation and not intentionally obfuscating marketing-speak.

The G 310 R has a single 300mm disc with four-piston caliper in the front, and a 240mm disc in the rear. It’s equipped with ABS as standard.
The G 310 R has a single 300mm disc with four-piston caliper in the front, and a 240mm disc in the rear. It’s equipped with ABS as standard. (BMW Motorrad /)

BMW also fit new four-way-adjustable front brake and clutch levers, which is a great move. Not to name names, but it’s befuddling when motorcycles—especially ones that cost three times as much as the G 310 R—don’t have adjustable levers. So we applaud BMW for the useful update that’s great for riders of all experience levels. The G 310 R also comes with full LED lighting.

Here’s a good look at the LCD dash and that “electromotive throttle controller.”
Here’s a good look at the LCD dash and that “electromotive throttle controller.” (BMW Motorrad/)

The press release describes the G 310 R’s revised styling as being “softly reimagined,” which would be a great name for, say, a Hall & Oates cover band, but doesn’t do justice to the streamlined looks cooked up BMW’s design team, but that’s neither here nor there.

Alexander Buckan, head of BMW Motorrad Vehicle Design, says, “From the beginning, it was a main goal of ours to increase the value of the overall design by reducing the black grained plastic and increasing the painted surfaces.” In general, the design is more fully realized with a stronger resemblance to the just-announced BMW S 1000 R hyper naked. In other words, the restyle isn’t a major departure, but more of an edit. So, maybe “softly reimagined” is an accurate description after all.

The base model is available in Cosmic Black and Polar White. The Limestone Metallic colorway is available with an extra cost.
The base model is available in Cosmic Black and Polar White. The Limestone Metallic colorway is available with an extra cost. (BMW Mottorad/)

At the moment there’s no word on pricing or availability, but for reference, the 2020 model starts at $4,945.

Source

11 hours ago, Lone Amigo said:

OTOH, if "Beamertopia" could find a way to take off 50 more pounds
getting it down to the weight of the Helix
which would be about 25/30 pounds lighter than a '65 Triumph T100 lump
well, sir, if they did that then they would really have something worth getting excited about.
I would recommend that they start with that frugly garbage can that is allegedly a silencer.

I don't understand why anyone would get excited about that 310, regardless of weight.

2 hours ago, Lone Amigo said:

If you get hurt, or get old, you will.

There are plenty of 250s and 400s I like, it's not a matter of engine size or power. This specific GS310 just feels low quality and uninspiring in person, it feels like a chinese bike in person.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lone Amigo said:

image.png.d71fb5af278ce64fefa9a6220404fa32.pngI haven't seen one in person, so I will defer to your judgment. i was hoping it would be a scale down of what XTreme is riding.

Forget that, it'll be a scale down on a shit bike. And any full size normal man will think he's riding his nephew's bike, the engine is gutless and the suspension can't take an adult on normal road or city riding. Any 250 or 300 Honda or Kawasaki will be a far better bike, even according to my BMW dealer salesman who actually apologized when they loaned me a 310  :classic_laugh: