Marco Melandri Weighs In on 2024 MotoGP Season

Marco Melandri says current two-time MotoGP champ Pecco Bagnaia is his pick for the winner in 2024.
Marco Melandri says current two-time MotoGP champ Pecco Bagnaia is his pick for the winner in 2024. (MotoGP/)

The 2024 MotoGP season kicks off this weekend in Qatar with some fixed points and many question marks. Pecco Bagnaia is the clear favorite, but there is a lot to look forward to in 2024. There is no doubt that the debut of Marc Márquez on the Italian bike will reshuffle the cards. This is the biggest storyline to keep an eye on, but who is the underdog or which teammate drama is most likely to explode? Looking at the manufacturers, KTM is closing the gap on Ducati, and Aprilia is stronger than last year; Honda and Yamaha are determined to return to their golden eras.

We asked former MotoGP rider Marco Melandri to make an analysis of the 2024 MotoGP grid. In his career, he rode for Aprilia in the 250cc championship, and Honda and Ducati in MotoGP. He has commented on MotoGP for Spanish broadcaster DAZN; nowadays he follows MotoGP, but also enjoys his other two passions: electric mountain bike racing and playing music as a DJ in cool places.

The Man to Beat

“Ducati factory rider Pecco Bagnaia takes the start as the man to beat, I see him even stronger than in the past 2022 and 2023 seasons. Mentally, he seems fully recovered from the difficult crash he suffered in Barcelona last year. He is mature and aware of his two titles. When he is on the bike, he seems to have everything under control. The recent renewal of his contract with Ducati for two more seasons (2025–2026) gives an extra boost of confidence and allows him to be fully focused on the current season.”

Related: MotoGP’s Latest Race Team: Trackhouse Racing

Will Bagnaia make it a three-peat in MotoGP and add a fourth ring to his collection?
Will Bagnaia make it a three-peat in MotoGP and add a fourth ring to his collection? (MotoGP/)

The Number One Rival

“I see Pecco’s most dangerous rival in Enea Bastianini. Last year was a season to forget for him, but already in the winter test we saw that the 2024 Ducati suits him very well. This season could be his year.”

Enea Bastianini looked good in the winter test; he might be Bagnaia’s biggest rival.
Enea Bastianini looked good in the winter test; he might be Bagnaia’s biggest rival. (MotoGP/)

The Other Side of the Red Army

“It won’t be an easy season for Jorge Martín. After his incredible fight for the title and the second position in championship, he expected a promotion in the Ducati factory team. this hasn’t happened so I smell a lot of frustration. Despite there was a moment last year when he was the fastest rider, he has realized that he cannot aim to win the title in a satellite team. Jorge has the speed and I think he gets along very well with the Pramac team, but I feel a separation in the air. I think he will leave Pramac at the end of the season for the Ducati factory team or another manufacturer.”

Jorge Martín will be in the fight, but it is difficult to win on a satellite team.
Jorge Martín will be in the fight, but it is difficult to win on a satellite team. (MotoGP/)

Márquez on Ducati

Marc Márquez did so well in the Valencia test that he seemed ready to win. We need to consider that historically he is unbeatable in Valencia, Austin, and Sachsenring, so his debut on the Ducati was really impressive. At winter tests in Malaysia and Qatar we could see the bigger picture: Marc is still riding the Ducati as a Honda. The concept of these two bikes are diametrically opposed. The Ducati has so much grip that you need to use the rear also when entering  the corner. Honda is the opposite, everything is about the front, and you ride it with the front.”

Marc Márquez impressed in Valencia on the Ducati, but the true answer to his success will come this weekend.
Marc Márquez impressed in Valencia on the Ducati, but the true answer to his success will come this weekend. (MotoGP/)

Dark Horses to Keep an Eye On

Fabio Di Giannantonio is living a magic momentum: He finished the season very well and he has started the new one in the same way. He is joining the VR46 team alongside Marco Bezzecchi. In 2023 Bezz had an incredible start to the season, then he struggled more. Bezz and Digia make a nice duo, they can win some races.”

Melandri says Fabio Di Giannantonio and Marco Bezzechi make a great team.
Melandri says Fabio Di Giannantonio and Marco Bezzechi make a great team. (MotoGP/)

“I would also keep an eye on Pedro Acosta. He is the most talented rookie since Marc Márquez entered the class. He is fast but he needs to gain experience. I think that he is not prepared when some technical issues arise.”

KTM and Aprilia

“I think KTM is the only manufacturer that can seriously challenge Ducati. [Brad] Binder is very strong, but he is not so consistent. [Jack] Miller is fast, but only for some laps. Aprilia has improved and they can win some races, but there are too many ups and downs. More consistency is needed, both on the side of the technical package and the riders.”

Related: Aprilia Racing Bosses Talk 2024 MotoGP Season

Red Bull KTM is one of the stronger rivals to the Ducati machine.
Red Bull KTM is one of the stronger rivals to the Ducati machine. (MotoGP/)

Honda

“They will make progress with the new development opportunities available to them by the concessions. The question is how long it will take. Honda worked hard in the winter and built a machine that looks very different; bigger and longer. They are determined to return competitively. They lost Márquez, but lining up not the fastest guy could turn positive. It can be an extra motivation to work harder. Honda HRC have reacted very promptly. I think they made the right choice signing Luca Marini. His future in Ducati was not so bright so it was a great occasion also for him. Luca  is very precise in his technical feedback and will race alongside [Joan] Mir. I have always liked Joan a lot. I hope that these last difficult years with Honda and the frustrations haven’t affected him too much.”

Joan Mir and Luca Marini along with all of HRC have extra motivation to get the Honda to the front.
Joan Mir and Luca Marini along with all of HRC have extra motivation to get the Honda to the front. (MotoGP/)

Yamaha

Fabio Quartararo is one of the strongest guys on the grid, but I think Yamaha is still too conservative. I see them too focused on two areas: the maximum power and the grip on the rear. This risks affecting what have always been Yamaha’s strengths: an agile machine and the closing of the corner.”

Is Yamaha too focused on power and rear grip at the expense of agility?
Is Yamaha too focused on power and rear grip at the expense of agility? (MotoGP/)

The 2024 Title

“Pecco Bagnaia is the clear favorite, but I see in the title fight also Marc Márquez, Enea Bastianini, Jorge Martín, and Brad Binder.”

2024 Qatar Podium

“I would say Bastianini, Bagnaia, Binder. In this order? Why not! I see Enea particularly strong at Losail.”

It’s clear Bagnaia is the favorite in 2024, but his competition and even his teammate will not make it easy for him.
It’s clear Bagnaia is the favorite in 2024, but his competition and even his teammate will not make it easy for him. (MotoGP/)

Source