Alpinestars Tech-Air Off-Road Review

Alpinestars’ Tech-Air Off-Road is not intrusive when riding and visually unnoticeable in the front.
Alpinestars’ Tech-Air Off-Road is not intrusive when riding and visually unnoticeable in the front. (Alpinestars/)

Alpinestars has been protecting riders with airbag systems for more than 14 years. The Italian company began logging crash data in 2003. In 2009 the Tech-Air Race was used in MotoGP. By 2011 the Tech-Air Race became available to the public. Since then, Alpinestars has developed a range of airbags including the Tech-Air 10, Tech-Air 5, Tech-Air 3, and recently announced Tech-Air 7x. All these systems are designed to protect roadracers and street riders, but what about the off-road folk? Now, with the launch of the Alpinestars Tech-Air Off-Road, dirt bike and adventure riders can benefit from the same impact protection as the Tech-Air Race, Street, 10, 7x, 5, and 3.

Alpinestars Tech-Air Off-Road ($999.95).
Alpinestars Tech-Air Off-Road ($999.95). (Alpinestars/)

Alpinestars began designing the Tech-Air Off-Road in 2017. A year later, the system was being used in competition by professional rally racers. By 2023, 83 Dakar competitors were wearing the system. And now, the Tech-Air Off-Road (two argon canisters included) will be available to the public for $999.95.

In the 2024 Dakar, the Alpinestars Tech-Air Off-Road had 323 individual deployments and zero false positives.
In the 2024 Dakar, the Alpinestars Tech-Air Off-Road had 323 individual deployments and zero false positives. (Alpinestars/)

Tech-Air Off-Road Details

The system is typically worn as an undergarment or under jacket, but can fit over base layers and jerseys. Alpinestars Tech-Air Off-Road offers passive protection (CE Level 1: shoulder, elbow, and back; CE Level 2: chest) as well as active protection (airbag). The electronic control unit, located in the back protector, utilizes six triaxial sensors (three gyroscopes, three accelerometers) reading every one millisecond. In the event of a crash, one of two canisters deploys the system before impact. Located in the back protector, the “bag” will inflate, covering the chest, back, neck, and shoulders within 40 to 60 milliseconds, depending on the size of the garment. The Tech-Air Off-Road is available in five sizes ranging from S to 2XL. The ECU, airbag, and the passive protection can be removed from the under jacket for cleaning.

The Tech-Air Off-Road’s ergonomics allow for easy layering in cold conditions, but are highly vented and breathable for warmer temperatures.
The Tech-Air Off-Road’s ergonomics allow for easy layering in cold conditions, but are highly vented and breathable for warmer temperatures. (Alpinestars/)

The Tech-Air Off-Road has three different modes, Street, Rally, and Enduro, each with discipline-focused algorithms. Street mode is “optimized for tarmac roads and traffic conditions” and is the same algorithm used in every other Tech-Air system. Rally mode is “optimized for fast off-road action on any type of terrain.” Enduro mode is “optimized for low- and medium-speed trail off-road action on any type of terrain.” To activate the system, simply zip up the under jacket connecting an internal magnet, giving power to the system. A two-second vibrating haptic will alert the rider that the system is on.

An LED Display shows battery level (Green: over eight hours; Yellow: four to eight hours; Red: one to four hours; Flashing Red: less than one hour), standby status (Blue: system active; Red: system fault) as well as the selected mode (Green).
An LED Display shows battery level (Green: over eight hours; Yellow: four to eight hours; Red: one to four hours; Flashing Red: less than one hour), standby status (Blue: system active; Red: system fault) as well as the selected mode (Green). (Alpinestars/)

Using Rally mode while traveling along fast fire roads and bumpy two-track, the system does not deploy on G-outs or jump landings. Enduro mode is exactly as it implies. Best for slow, technical riding. The system is in place to protect you from moderate to severe crashes but, in the event of a small tip-over, the system may not deploy in an effort to save the available canisters for something more serious. Alpinestars sells replacement canisters in a two-pack for $169.95. After four deployments, Alpinestars highly recommends sending the system in to have the airbag inspected and possibly replaced.

Off-road, the Tech-Air system can differentiate between a heavy load on the bike and an actual crash, determining if the airbag bladder needs to be inflated or not.
Off-road, the Tech-Air system can differentiate between a heavy load on the bike and an actual crash, determining if the airbag bladder needs to be inflated or not. (Alpinestars/)

Riding Impression

The Tech-Air Off-Road is very comfortable and nearly undetectable. We experienced cold, rainy weather during our ride through Death Valley led by six-time AMA motocross/supercross champion Jeff Stanton and Honda HRC rally racers Skyler Howles and two-time Dakar winner Ricky Brabec. I was able to wear two base layers under the Tech-Air Off-Road (size small), and a mid-layer over it along with my Alpinestars ST-7 2L Gore-Tex adventure bike jacket. I wore the same layers on our second day of riding with the Alpinestars Session Race jacket as a shell. The system was equally comfortable in both getups. The only time I noticed the Tech-Air Off-Road on my body was when tucking in behind the bars as the chest and back protectors don’t arch with the curvature of the body in a scrunched position.

In the back protector is where the two gas canisters and six triaxial sensors can be found. A red light next to each canister indicates if the charge has been deployed or not. The storage pocket on the back of the system can hold a hydration bladder of up to 3 liters.
In the back protector is where the two gas canisters and six triaxial sensors can be found. A red light next to each canister indicates if the charge has been deployed or not. The storage pocket on the back of the system can hold a hydration bladder of up to 3 liters. (Alpinestars/)

Usability is easy and straightforward. Simply turn the system on by zipping up the garment and select your desired mode via the LED display. If the Tech-Air detects no movement for more than five minutes the system goes to sleep. So make sure you check the system’s status after each coffee break. Battery life offers 30 hours of ride time and the system takes roughly four hours to charge through the USB-C port on the LED display located on the bottom left of the chest protector. The system button located on the LED display allows the rider to shuffle through modes (short press: change riding mode; long press: manual switch off).

Alpinestars’ Tech-Air Off-Road connects to the Tech-Air app via Bluetooth for system updates, status checks, and records rides through an enhanced Google map.
Alpinestars’ Tech-Air Off-Road connects to the Tech-Air app via Bluetooth for system updates, status checks, and records rides through an enhanced Google map. (Alpinestars/)

Alpinestars claims the Tech-Air can reduce impact forces up to 95 percent. That’s pretty significant. Whether you’re an avid adventure bike rider, dual sporter, or trail rider, the Alpinestars Tech-Air Off-Road is designed to provide additional protection in the event of a crash. Most motorcyclists wouldn’t ride without proper protection. And for some, the Tech-Air Off-Road may be just as important as a helmet and a pair of boots.

Alpinestars’ Tech-Air Off-Road LED display is waterproof. The electronics located in the back protector are water resistant.
Alpinestars’ Tech-Air Off-Road LED display is waterproof. The electronics located in the back protector are water resistant. (Alpinestars/)I managed to stay fully dry in my Alpinestars Gore-Tex adventure bike gear.
I managed to stay fully dry in my Alpinestars Gore-Tex adventure bike gear. (Alpinestars/)In Rally mode and Enduro mode, the Tech-Air Off-Road will not deploy on most jump landings.
In Rally mode and Enduro mode, the Tech-Air Off-Road will not deploy on most jump landings. (Alpinestars/)Two-time Dakar winner (2020, 2024) Ricky Brabec on his practice Honda HRC rally bike.
Two-time Dakar winner (2020, 2024) Ricky Brabec on his practice Honda HRC rally bike. (Alpinestars/)Honda HRC rally racer Skyler Howles sand surfing in the wet dunes.
Honda HRC rally racer Skyler Howles sand surfing in the wet dunes. (Alpinestars/)Skyler and Ricky let me lead for a little. Braap! They're gone. That didn't take long.
Skyler and Ricky let me lead for a little. Braap! They're gone. That didn't take long. (Alpinestars/)Six-time AMA champion Jeff Stanton steering with the rear on his Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro.
Six-time AMA champion Jeff Stanton steering with the rear on his Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro. (Alpinestars/)I swear there was a sign that read “Lift front wheel if you wear protection.”
I swear there was a sign that read “Lift front wheel if you wear protection.” (Alpinestars/)Beautiful Death Valley after a heavy rain.
Beautiful Death Valley after a heavy rain. (Alpinestars/)

Source