2020 Kawasaki Z900 First Ride Review

Hugh Janus

The 2020 Kawasaki Z900 has a starting MSRP of $8,999.
The 2020 Kawasaki Z900 has a starting MSRP of $8,999. (Jeff Allen /)

When Kawasaki did away with the Z800 to make room for the Z900 in 2017, the newer and larger-displacement model improved on every aspect while managing to maintain the same approachable price point. Now the 948cc naked sportbike sees its first updates since it debuted in 2017, improving ride quality, performance, and styling. For 2020, the Kawasaki Z900 continues to maintain its position as one of the best bikes-per-buck on the market at $8,999.

The overall feel of the Z900 has come a long way from 2019 with the addition of switchable traction control, independently selectable power modes, four ride modes, and the 4.3-inch full-color TFT through which it’s all controlled. For a price increase of $600, the added safety, comfort, and performance benefits are significant. The more time I spent on the bike, the more impressed I was with both the motorcycle and its price tag.

Short gear ratios in gears one through five help with quick acceleration, and sixth serves as an overdrive.
Short gear ratios in gears one through five help with quick acceleration, and sixth serves as an overdrive. (Jeff Allen /)

Ergonomics on the Z900 are unchanged: A straight handlebar and modest rearset foot controls put the rider in a comfortable position for upright cruising, but offer enough versatility to really move around the bike when you need to. At 6-foot-4, I found the relatively low seat height of 31.5 inches does make my legs feel a little bit cramped through longer sections of riding. The seat is adequately comfortable, but I would prefer a little more padding for highway cruising, where the ride could be a little bumpy.

The updated 4.3-inch display and two control buttons below.
The updated 4.3-inch display and two control buttons below. (Jeff Allen /)

For 2020, the Z900 saw some frame modification, though the geometry remains essentially unchanged. You still see a steel, twin-spar trellis frame, but now with some revisions to strengthen the swingarm pivot area. Suspension hardware hasn’t changed, though the settings both front and rear have been updated to be stiffer and match the new frame, with a slightly stiffer spring rate in the rear.

For 2020, the Z900’s chassis was strengthened near the swingarm pivot, and suspension settings were reworked to match.
For 2020, the Z900’s chassis was strengthened near the swingarm pivot, and suspension settings were reworked to match. (Jeff Allen /)

One of Z’s real strong points is its versatility. A comfortable commuter or a quick canyon carver—this bike can do it all well and a lot of that is thanks to the suspension. On highways and straight roads, the bike is a little stiff and the ride can be slightly harsh, but it’s a worthy trade-off for the way it performs through a canyon.

LED headlights and updated bodywork on the 2020 Kawasaki Z900.
LED headlights and updated bodywork on the 2020 Kawasaki Z900. (Jeff Allen /)

As I reached the end of the highway in San Diego County and the roads toward Palomar Mountain started to twist, the Z felt like a fish in water. It’s nimble and agile, but firmly planted. It inspires confidence. Its 41mm fork is rebound and preload adjustable, providing good front-tire feedback without excessive dive under hard braking. The rear shock offers the same adjustability, feeling firm and composed when pushed, but still supple enough on the straights. It only needed a slight decrease in the preload to fine-tune and sharpen its turn-in. Roads that were less than ideal highlighted the strengths of the 900’s frame as well, holding a strong line while hitting bumps at lean.

2020 Kawasaki Z900 in Metallic Graphite Gray/Metallic Spark Black.
2020 Kawasaki Z900 in Metallic Graphite Gray/Metallic Spark Black. (Jeff Allen /)

Strong, linear power delivery defines the Z’s 948cc powerplant. With 114 hp, the bike pulls strong from 2,000 rpm, all the way up to peak power at 9,710 rpm. It’s predictable, which again inspires confidence, and is incredibly capable as well. A hard twist of the throttle will have the front wheel up in first or second without any clutch work, and a slight tug on the handlebars can do the same in third gear. And now, the addition of traction and power control offer further customization to help reel the bike in, or get the most out of the machine based on the setting.

The seat and passenger seat of the 2020 Kawasaki Z900.
The seat and passenger seat of the 2020 Kawasaki Z900. (Jeff Allen /)

The Kawasaki Traction Control proved to work incredibly well on this bike, never feeling overly intrusive while adding a sense of control on acceleration. There are four ride modes available: Rain, Road, Sport, and Rider. Each ride mode features preset TC and power output settings (Full or Low), hold for Rider, which allows for full customization parameters. Road is quick to respond and ideal for commuting and casual use, but a quick switch to Sport opens up the Z900’s true potential, offering the most direct power delivery and lofting the front wheel under hard acceleration.

New Dunlop Sportmax RoadSport 2 tires wrapped around the same five-spoke wheels.
New Dunlop Sportmax RoadSport 2 tires wrapped around the same five-spoke wheels. (Jeff Allen /)

The all-new TFT display is one that can be seen across several Kawasaki models for 2020, adding a modern and premium feel. It’s easily readable and relays loads of information quickly. It’s a clear upgrade—until you have to access the menu to change anything. The system is far from intuitive and takes a whole lot of trial and error to navigate. I’m sure if I owned this bike I would get used to it, but that was really the only negative to the new instrumentation.

Clutch and brake levers are both five-point adjustable.
Clutch and brake levers are both five-point adjustable. (Jeff Allen /)

Another new feature we’ve seen on other 2020 Kawasakis that is carried over is Bluetooth connectivity and the Kawasaki Rideology app. The app provides vital vehicle information, including fuel level, battery life, average gas mileage, data collected during tracked rides, as well as the ever-tempting speed readout.

Tires on previous models were commonly mentioned as a necessary upgrade, and Kawasaki has listened. New Dunlop Sportmax RoadSport 2 tires held excellent grip through our dry-weather testing. The same five-spoke wheels remain.

No modifications were made to the engine for 2020.
No modifications were made to the engine for 2020. (Jeff Allen /)

Styling on the new Z900 shows some slight modifications to the plastics, though the list seems greater than the visual effect. A new LED headlight is equipped, now in a more compact housing with sharper edges. New shrouds and under-cowls are also more compact and sharper to add to Kawasaki’s trademark “Sugomi” look.

The aesthetics of this bike are divisive—some people love it, some people can’t stand it, but there’s no arguing that it is uniquely Kawasaki. What can’t be disputed is that the paint is high quality and the fit of the bodywork is excellent, especially considering the price.

The taillight on the Z900 forms an iconic “Z.”
The taillight on the Z900 forms an iconic “Z.” (Jeff Allen /)

Riding through popular sportbike roads around Palomar Mountain, I kept hearing three words, “nine thousand dollars,” repeating in my head as I consistently rode past much more expensive motorcycles. Strong engine output, well-balanced suspension and ergonomics, and a new electronics package—the Z900 continues to improve its ride and overall feel. When it comes to a fun, affordable streetbike, I can’t think of many 2020 models that can do more for less.

2020 Kawasaki Z900 Specifications

MSRP: $8,999/$9,299 ABS
Engine: 948cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, 4-cylinder 4-stroke; 16-valve
Bore x Stroke: 73.4 x 56.0mm
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/sealed chain
Cycle World Measured Horsepower: 113.96 hp @ 9,710 rpm
Cycle World Measured Torque: 67.3 lb.-ft. @ 6,990 rpm
Fuel System: Electronic fuel injection w/ four 36mm throttle bodies
Clutch: Assist and slipper clutch
Engine Management/Ignition: TCBI w/ electronic advance
Frame: Trellis, high-tensile steel
Front Suspension: 41mm inverted fork adjustable for rebound damping, spring preload; 4.7-in. travel
Rear Suspension: Horizontal back-link, stepless rebound damping, adjustable for spring preload; 5.5-in. travel
Front Brake: 4-piston calipers, dual 300mm petal-style discs w/ ABS
Rear Brake: 1-piston caliper, 250mm petal-style disc w/ ABS
Wheels, Front/Rear: Cast 5-spoke
Tires, Front/Rear: Dunlop Sportmax RoadSport 2; 120/70ZR-17 / 180/55ZR-17
Rake/Trail: 24.5°/4.1 in.
Wheelbase: 57.3 in.
Ground Clearance: 5.7 in.
Seat Height: 31.5 in.
Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gal.
Cycle World Measured Wet Weight: 468 lb.
Availability: Now

Source