2021 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT First Ride Review

Hugh Janus

My water bottle is pinballing around in one of the Versys 650 LT’s spacious hard cases. The hand guards are protecting my hands from the overgrown brush that makes this thin country road even narrower. The smell of dried brush is wafting through my helmet. It’s a nice ride aboard the 2021 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT.

The Kawasaki Versys 650 LT adds hard bags and hand guards for an MSRP that is only $900 more than the base.
The Kawasaki Versys 650 LT adds hard bags and hand guards for an MSRP that is only $900 more than the base. (Jeff Allen/)

The rev-happy engine cranks away, easily setting a brisk pace on the freeway back toward home. Hot summer wind is deflected by the adjustable windscreen, and any patchwork pavement is absorbed by the 41mm telescopic fork and the offset shock; it’s a comfortable ride. With these excellent fundamentals, could the Versys have any faults?

Nice sound, long-stretching gears, and a wide spread of torque are definite positives of the Versys engine. Touchy throttle and clunky shifting are a couple drawbacks.
Nice sound, long-stretching gears, and a wide spread of torque are definite positives of the Versys engine. Touchy throttle and clunky shifting are a couple drawbacks. (Jeff Allen/)

2021 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT Engine

Spool up the Versys’ 649cc parallel twin with its 180-degree crank and you’re rewarded with an entertaining growl across the lower to mid rpm, rising to a higher pitch after about 5,000 rpm. The needle makes an energetic sweep across the analog tachometer, giving the rider visual evidence of the engine’s fast-revving character. Power delivery is very linear; there’s 59.6 measured horsepower to feast on, and the tabletop torque curve spreads its bounty from 2,000 to 10,000 rpm with a peak of 41.6 pound-feet at 7,210 rpm. The Versys is fantastically fun for spurts between lights, commuting on freeways, or rambling around on winding pavement. This engine can really stretch across third, fourth, and fifth gears; sixth is only rarely needed on the freeways.

The Versys 650 LT’s dyno chart.
The Versys 650 LT’s dyno chart. (Robert Martin Jr./)Even in daylight, the Versys is a starry night sky streak with its sparkling Metallic Moondust Gray/Metallic Spark Black paint.
Even in daylight, the Versys is a starry night sky streak with its sparkling Metallic Moondust Gray/Metallic Spark Black paint. (Jeff Allen/)

On switchbacks, however, the Versys’ abrupt on/off throttle and clunky six-speed gearbox become a tad tiresome. Closing the cable-actuated throttle to slow down for an acute right-hander, rolling on for the corner exit, and then doing it all over again for the next left-hander is a jerky process. The shift lever requires a more forceful nudge than is strictly comfortable; the bike is more agreeable when settling into higher gears for a straight road or sweeping bend.

Right at home on a smooth and winding road.
Right at home on a smooth and winding road. (Jeff Allen/)

What Is the 2021 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT Like to Ride?

Total weight of the Versys, fully fueled, is 500 pounds on Cycle World’s automotive scales. This weight is carried slightly higher than other bikes I have ridden, in part due to the large fuel tank and taller dimensions, though it certainly doesn’t feel heavy when in motion.

The wide handlebar allows great control, while admirable out-of-the-box suspension settings and more than 5 inches of travel at both ends painlessly tackles ribbed roads and sharp bumps that would usually be upsetting. The 41mm telescopic fork, adjustable for preload and rebound, has a tamed rebound and keeps the front end well planted. The offset single shock, which is adjustable for preload adjustability, also does well in filtering out any rough pavement. The tooless rear preload adjustment knob is particularly convenient for two-up touring with full saddlebags.

Preload adjustment made easy.
Preload adjustment made easy. (Jeff Allen/)

Dual 300mm front discs and two-piston Nissin calipers offer a progressive feel at the lever and excellent control for composed stopping. The rear’s one-piston caliper and 250mm disc is only slightly less communicative than the front.

There’s little to worry about when it comes to braking. The two 300mm petal discs performed very well.
There’s little to worry about when it comes to braking. The two 300mm petal discs performed very well. (Jeff Allen/)(Jeff Allen/)

The Versys falls under Kawasaki’s adventure/touring category, but the 17-inch cast wheels and street-oriented Dunlop Sportmax D222s definitely emphasize road and touring riding over flat-out adventuring. Things got squirrelly while riding on paved backcountry roads occasionally washed out with dirt; the rear tended to skip out while the front tire was trying to find all available traction mid turn. After this, expectations for dirt and gravel testing were low. However, the tires did better than anticipated on gravel sections; I was able to maintain intended turns without much drama. Still, a more aggressive tread pattern would make the Versys even more compatible for dirt (and dirt-covered) roads.

The road-focused Dunlops, cast wheels, and non-switchable ABS hint to more street-oriented riding.
The road-focused Dunlops, cast wheels, and non-switchable ABS hint to more street-oriented riding. (Jeff Allen/)

2021 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT Comfort and Ergonomics

The Versys’ wide, flat handlebar allows for an upright posture and a relaxed commute. The seat is narrow between the legs; impressive, considering the large 5.5-gallon tank capacity. While testing on various roadways, I recorded an average of 42.5 mpg; decent fuel economy for an engine and motorcycle of this size, though it doesn’t quite sip fuel like the Honda CB500X for example.

A comfortable riding position and personal air pocket make taking a detour on the Versys a welcome treat.
A comfortable riding position and personal air pocket make taking a detour on the Versys a welcome treat. (Jeff Allen/)

The seat is supportive enough for longer trips and the adjustable windscreen and LT-specific hand guards do well in redirecting wind from the rider. In the windscreen’s lowest setting I experienced buffeting to the helmet, but unlocking the front knobs (no on-the-fly-adjustment) and moving it to the highest setting eliminated the problem entirely. Once everything was in place I had no reason to adjust it further; riding in the Versys’ air pocket at freeway speeds was incredibly comfortable.

Hand guards served double duty in blocking wind and dried brush. In its tallest setting the windscreen did very well in defending the rider against windblast.
Hand guards served double duty in blocking wind and dried brush. In its tallest setting the windscreen did very well in defending the rider against windblast. (Jeff Allen/)

With a measured seat height of 33.2 inches, the Versys is a tad tall, putting it close to the ADV-seat-height range (for example, the ‘21 Multistrada V4 S is a measured 33.8 inches). I was on the balls of my feet with my 32-inch inseam, but flat-footing could be achieved with a slight stretch or a thick-soled boot. Tank grooves are also perfectly molded around my knees for great grip when leaning in.

Get in the groove.
Get in the groove. (Jeff Allen/)

Fit, Finish, and Features

For $9,299, I was frankly hoping for a better electronics package on this middleweight Versys. Antilock brakes are standard, but there are no ride modes, no cruise control, not even heated grips; all features that riders expect on something that is outrigged for longer hauls. Outdated equipment such as halogen lighting and an LCD screen/analog tach are in need of an update. I can understand why the need to keep costs down might mean it wouldn’t have all of those updates, but some trickle-down tech from Kawasaki’s high-end models would still be vastly beneficial and elevate the Versys’ game.

It’s easy to read, but a modern dash would still be appreciated.
It’s easy to read, but a modern dash would still be appreciated. (Jeff Allen/)

When it comes to non-electronics features, the adjustable windscreen, quality 28-liter-capacity hard bags, and hand guards grant the Versys an appropriate touring silhouette. The lockable key-matched hard bags are easy to open and close, and easily accommodate a full-face helmet.

The convenience of a quality hard case is tough to give up once you’ve had a taste.
The convenience of a quality hard case is tough to give up once you’ve had a taste. (Jeff Allen/)

Yes, the Versys 650 LT could stand improvement in low-speed smoothness and the electronics package, but overall it maintains its positive reputation for its engine, suspension, and braking performance. Add to that its convenient and well-thought-out features, and what you get is a comfortable everyday tourer for taking the fast way, scenic route, or both.

Comfortable touring for the long stretches of country roads.
Comfortable touring for the long stretches of country roads. (Jeff Allen/)

2021 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT Specs

MSRP: $9,299
Engine: DOHC, liquid-cooled parallel twin; 4 valves/cyl.
Displacement: 649cc
Bore x Stroke: 83.0 x 60.0mm
Compression Ratio: 10.8:1
Transmission/Final Drive: 6-speed/chain
Cycle World Measured Horsepower: 59.60 hp @ 8,070 rpm
Cycle World Measured Torque: 41.55 lb.ft. @ 7,210 rpm
Fuel System: DFI w/ Keihin 38mm throttle bodies (2)
Clutch: Wet, multiplate
Frame: Double-pipe perimeter frame
Front Suspension: 41mm hydraulic telescopic fork, rebound and preload adjustable; 5.9 in. travel
Rear Suspension: Single shock, preload adjustable; 5.7 in. travel
Front Brake: Nissin 2-piston calipers w/ dual 300mm petal disc w/ ABS
Rear Brake: Nissin 1-piston caliper w/ single 250mm petal disc w/ ABS
Tires, Front/Rear: Dunlop Sportmax D222; 120/70-17, 160/60-17
Rake/Trail: 25.0°/4.3 in.
Wheelbase: 55.7 in.
Ground Clearance: 6.7 in.
Cycle World Measured Seat Height: 33.2 in.
Fuel Capacity: 5.5 gal.
Cycle World Measured Wet Weight: 500 lb.
Show me that horizon.
Show me that horizon. (Jeff Allen/)

GEARBOX:

Helmet: Shoei Neotec II

Jacket: Rev’It Tornado 3 Ladies Jacket

Pant: Rev’It Tornado 3 Ladies Trousers

Gloves: Rev’It Striker 3 Gloves

Boots: Rev’It Quest Outdry Ladies Boots

Source