2021 Ducati Multistrada V4 Engine Details

Hugh Janus

Ducati has released details of the 1,158cc engine that will power the Multistrada V4.
Ducati has released details of the 1,158cc engine that will power the Multistrada V4. (Ducati /)

Ducati officially confirmed that the new V-4 powering its new Multistrada V4 is equipped with spring valves. From the days of the Pantah 500, Ducati has fully focused solely on desmo distribution for its engines. I am personally too involved in memories of cooperation with Dr. Taglioni to feel relaxed analyzing this huge change. But I also am an engineer with a solid view of what really is required to obtain optimal performance-to-cost ratio, and I must say that this is a very logical choice.

The Multistrada is Ducati’s most popular model, and creating a new edition powered by a V-4 that has very relaxed 37,250-mile (60,000-kilometer) service intervals is extremely wise. The new V-4 appears to be the result of a very smart distillation of the massive experience that the Ducati technical team gathered from the Panigale V4 desmo in all its variations. And more.

A more conventional DOHC spring-over-valve design replaces Ducati’s famous desmo valve train in the Multistrada V4.
A more conventional DOHC spring-over-valve design replaces Ducati’s famous desmo valve train in the Multistrada V4. (Ducati /)

The new engine has been called Granturismo, with an obvious reference to its medium performance level, by Ducati standards, and to the fact that it might power a whole new generation of Ducati models that today does not exist. It is fully Euro 5 homologated and displaces 1,158cc, with a bore of 83mm and stroke of 53.5mm, and generates a claimed 170 peak power horsepower at 10,500 rpm. This puts it ahead of anything from the competition. Peak torque rated at 92.2 pound-feet at 8,750 rpm indicates this new unit will deliver very consistent low-end response and great tractability.

It has been rationally conceived to keep its cost as competitive as possible despite remarkable technology that is clearly based on the Panigale V4, as confirmed by the crankshaft with crankpins set at 70 degrees for a 0-90-270-380 firing sequence that generates impulses sounding almost like those of a 90-degree V-twin. The crankshaft that counterrotates to reduce the gyro effect, in combination with the rotation of the wheels, makes for a smoother steering response.

No desmo? Ducati will forgo the desmodromic valve train on the 2021 Multistrada V4. The new engine boasts 37,250-mile service intervals.
No desmo? Ducati will forgo the desmodromic valve train on the 2021 Multistrada V4. The new engine boasts 37,250-mile service intervals. (Ducati /)

The little data that we have about the thermodynamic section indicates the Ducati technical team aimed at very high thermodynamic efficiency characteristics in order to achieve Euro 5 homologation while producing very solid performance numbers. The compression ratio at 14:1 is particularly impressive, while valve diameter (33.5mm inlet and 26.8mm exhaust) appears relatively small in relation to the unit displacement, resulting in a very compact combustion chamber design. Valves are directly actuated by dual overhead camshafts via finger-type cam followers. It is logical to imagine that the Ducati technical team selected six-exponent polydyne cam profiles to reduce peak loads on the distribution train and easily reach past the 10,500-rpm limit with no valve float risk.

Ducati’s DOHC Granturismo V-4 is claimed to have 170 hp.
Ducati’s DOHC Granturismo V-4 is claimed to have 170 hp. (Ducati /)

To obtain a very fat torque curve and enhance low-end response, inlet runners are very long and the throttle bodies have relatively small diameters—46mm—in relation to the unit displacement. To reduce thermal discomfort in downtown traffic, the pair of rear cylinders, those closer to the seat, can be deactivated. The dry sump lubrication uses three pumps, one delivery and two drainage.

The new Ducati Granturismo V-4 is almost 3 pounds lighter than the 1,260cc Testastretta V-twin it replaces while being shorter. Expect that the Multistrada V4 will be an outstanding enduro-granturismo bike with supreme potential reliability.

Source

14 hours ago, Earache said:

Springs????  Do I see springs?!?!?!?!?

Yep. About time if ya ask me. Streetbikes, especially those intended to do long miles, do not need desmo valvetrains. You also don't see timing belts. Like I said, put a drive shaft on the thing and they might be on to something!

And this coming from a guy who named his dog "Desmo"!

7 hours ago, DesmoDog said:

Yep. About time if ya ask me. Streetbikes, especially those intended to do long miles, do not need desmo valvetrains. You also don't see timing belts. Like I said, put a drive shaft on the thing and they might be on to something!

And this coming from a guy who named his dog "Desmo"!

Well I named my dog, uh, erm....

Longer valve adjustment intervals is a win no matter what - but I'd miss the clatter,  the "Hey mister - ya got oil in that thing?" comments, etc.

Be amazing if they put a shaft on it. The only reason I bought the Tenere over the Africa Twin and Multi was the shaft.

• Like 1