Pando Moto Women’s Gear Review

Hugh Janus

The Pando Moto Capo shirt and Kusari jeans hit key qualities for riding apparel.
The Pando Moto Capo shirt and Kusari jeans hit key qualities for riding apparel. (Jeff Allen/)

There are three primary qualities that one looks for in premium motorcycle gear: protection, quality, and style. While some companies focus efforts more on one or two facets over the other, Pando Moto hits pretty hard on all three. I have been wearing Pando Moto’s Capo motorcycle shirt and Kusari jeans for the last couple of months and found that both offer degrees of protection, exceptional quality, and flaunt some serious style.

Capo Motorcycle Shirt

The Capo motorcycle shirt is CE approved and fits this 6-footer’s dimensions well.
The Capo motorcycle shirt is CE approved and fits this 6-footer’s dimensions well. (Jeff Allen/)

First, the Capo motorcycle shirt. This product is fully CE approved, meaning it passed a series of seven tests (abrasion resistance, impact absorption, seam strength, tear strength, dimensional stability, fit and ergonomics, and garment restraint) and received a Level A rating (45 kph/28mph abrasion resistance). The shirt also includes both elbow and shoulder armor that are also CE approved. Back armor can be purchased separately.

The Capo motorcycle shirt hits the quality mark with its thick Cordura material. The durable Cordura nylon is blended with cotton for a comfortable and reasonably stretchy fit. Although it is less breathable than summer-specific riding gear, I was kept relatively cool thanks to the blended material and underarm zippered vents when riding during a 100-degree day of testing the 2020 Triumph Street Twin. YKK zippers are used for the main closure, underarm vents, and interior pocket; all of which zip securely.

The material’s blend and zippered vents help keep the rider somewhat cool on warmer rides.
The material’s blend and zippered vents help keep the rider somewhat cool on warmer rides. (Jeff Allen/)

Snap closures clean up the overall look by buttoning the Cordura material down over the main zipper. The bottom snap closure, however, did have difficulty remaining fastened when the material folded and bunched when in a riding position. One thing I do wish the Capo has was zippered chest pockets instead of buttoned ones. The single snap on each pocket causes me to worry about the security of whatever is inside the pocket because of the somewhat finicky closure that a snap button may cause. I do have to report that during riding those buttons didn’t pop open randomly like the snap at the bottom. Key items like a phone or wallet can be placed in the more secure interior zippered pocket. There is enough room for both items to fit comfortably without interfering with chest space.

Finally the Capo’s fit and style—which is where the garment collects the most points in my opinion. The Capo is also noticeably stylish with the embroidery on the shoulders and denim material construction, both of which contribute to a relaxed and casual design. The back material is also elongated so it doesn’t open the doors to embarrassing lower back exposure. There are no complaints on sleeve length either—they easily cover my 23-inch arm length.

Kusari Jeans

Although not as breathable as standard riding jeans, these waxed denim ones protect with a Kevlar lining and CE-approved armor.
Although not as breathable as standard riding jeans, these waxed denim ones protect with a Kevlar lining and CE-approved armor. (Jeff Allen/)

Like the Capo, the Kusari jeans come with CE-approved armor. Knee armor is included, and hip armor can be purchased separately. The included armor is thin and less bulky than D3O’s armor that is seen in other jeans. These jeans also feature a DuPont Kevlar lining in abrasion and impact zones from the hips down to mid shin in the front and to the backs of the knees in the back. A Level A rating was also given to these pants for 45 kph (28 mph) abrasion resistance.

When it comes to quality, the Kusari jeans are also worthy of props. The waxed denim material stretches for motorcycle-specific motion and the accordion-stretch panels at the knees provide extra flex as well. I can appreciate the single waterproof YKK zipper on the back pocket that can help protect personal effects from getting wet on a rainy ride. This back pocket is too small for smartphones, but fits a compact single or bifold wallet just fine. The front pockets are not zippered, but are deep and accommodating for other items.

A waterproof back pocket is a nice place to store a small wallet. My wallet just fit.
A waterproof back pocket is a nice place to store a small wallet. My wallet just fit. (Jeff Allen/)

The Kusari jeans' waxed denim also makes for a casual pair of pantalones and the accordion ruching at the knees is stylish and comfortable. My 31-inch waist, 32-inch inseam fit well in the W30-L32 size, showing that these fit pretty accurately to size when you use Pando’s measurement guide. The waxed material does make them a little less breathable than regular denim, so on extremely hot days expect to sweat some. If you don’t plan on riding in 100-degree temps, then these will be fair-weather comfortable. Ultimately, these fit well and are a nonconstricting pair of jeans, both a must for riding.

The Capo shirt retails for $285 and the Kusari jeans retail for $265, and can be purchased through Revzilla. These prices place them more on the expensive side, but overall both Pando garments pair together nicely for a casual ride and tally points for overall protection, quality, and style.

Source