2021 Yamaha YZ450F Review First Ride

Hugh Janus

Riding the 2021 Yamaha YZ450F at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California.
Riding the 2021 Yamaha YZ450F at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California. (Mark Kariya/)

The Yamaha YZ450F received several notable updates to the engine, suspension, and chassis last year. While it didn’t look much different than the prior 2018 and 2019 model, the changes bLU cRU made to its flagship motocross bike certainly improved the aspects they worked on. For 2021, the YZ450F returns unchanged, save for blue number plates and black fork guards. Yamaha invited us out to Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California to shake down the 2021 YZ450F, which essentially served as a reminder of what it was like to ride last year’s model.

Related: 2020 Factory Supercross Bikes—Justin Barcia’s Yamaha YZ450F

The YZ450F does not feature any mechanical updates for 2021. However, bLU cRU’s flagship motocrosser enjoyed several changes last year.
The YZ450F does not feature any mechanical updates for 2021. However, bLU cRU’s flagship motocrosser enjoyed several changes last year. (Mark Kariya/)

2021 Yamaha YZ450F Engine

Although the YZ450F engine is unchanged for MY21, it was significantly updated last year. Its 13.0:1 compression ratio with a recessed crown-shape piston and 1.5mm longer connecting rod made great power in 2020 and continues to work very well in 2021.

The YZ450F features class-leading EFI mapping adjustability with the Power Tuner app; it is still the best and easiest to use tuner for the average person.
The YZ450F features class-leading EFI mapping adjustability with the Power Tuner app; it is still the best and easiest to use tuner for the average person. (Mark Kariya/)

The free Yamaha Power Tuner app ECU mapping tool is one factor that makes the YZ450F engine one of the easiest bikes to ride in its class. Adjustments can easily be made to the engine’s power delivery until it’s exactly what you are looking for. Even for a beginner, you can make changes without worrying about causing engine damage. Yamaha even has a tutorial and premade maps available on its website to get you started. From there, you can learn and make adjustments to your heart’s content. To learn more and download the 10 optional maps, check out Yamaha’s website.

The amount of torque you get from the seat of the pants while riding the YZ450F will make you double-check you tightened your belt.
The amount of torque you get from the seat of the pants while riding the YZ450F will make you double-check you tightened your belt. (Mark Kariya/)

Overall, the YZ450F engine is amazing. It’s very exciting and the amount of torque you get from the seat of the pants will make you double-check you tightened your belt. Because of that, I prefer to ride the bike a gear high as it gives me a smoother, electric feeling with the throttle roll-on and then I let it build torque as needed with more throttle input.

In stock form, the engine was more than I could handle while trying to ride aggressively. I tried several different maps that Yamaha has tested in an effort to find something I preferred. You can adjust that connected feeling you have with the rear wheel by using the Power Tuner app. This gave me more confidence to get back on the throttle earlier in corners. As the power builds, the torque of the engine takes over and accelerates you down the straightaways. Engine braking might be a touch more noticeable in comparison to other 450s, but for the most part, you ride the YZ450F in a lower rpm and it’s not a significant factor.

There is a map switch offering two different options. These are selectable and on-the-fly, which comes in handy should track conditions change mid-moto. There is also a Launch Control System (LCS) to help with quicker, smoother starts. The transmission is paired well with the engine’s power and final drive gearing. As I mentioned, I prefer to ride the YZ450F a gear high, so I occasionally abused the clutch when I got too low in the rpm. However, there was no fade and the lever engagement remained consistent.

2021 Yamaha YZ450F Suspension & Chassis/Handling

Blue number plates and black fork guards are the easiest way to differentiate a 2021 YZ450F from the prior year model.
Blue number plates and black fork guards are the easiest way to differentiate a 2021 YZ450F from the prior year model. (Mark Kariya/)

The YZ450F chassis was significantly updated in 2020 as well. Some of the more remarkable changes it received last year include the frame thickness, engine mounts, and the top triple clamp. The front axle and axle clamps were updated and the footpeg material was changed to chromoly steel. These revisions were aimed at reducing rider effort to change directions, more predictable handling, and reduced high-speed impact reactions. To match the tweaks made to the chassis, Yamaha revised the compression and rebound damping of the YZ450F’s KYB Speed-Sensitive System (SSS) coil-spring fork and KYB shock in order for them to be more progressive on compression at the mid-to-end of the stroke.

One of our favorite aspects about the YZ450F is its plush suspension and rider comfort.
One of our favorite aspects about the YZ450F is its plush suspension and rider comfort. (Mark Kariya/)

I like the YZ450F’s stability and the current chassis certainly offers improved cornering over the prior generation model. The suspension has been one of the best in its class for several years now and required only minor adjustments for my preferences. In stock form, I felt like the bike was very busy and had a slight pitching sensation. There was also a slight hinged feeling when I mistimed my braking or encountered square-edge bumps.

I spent most of the day working on small adjustments trying to find what worked best to correct some of these issues. I ended with the fork compression and rebound at 7, and a fork height of 2mm. As far as the shock settings, I set the sag at 104mm, the low-speed compression at 7, the high-speed compression at 0.75 turns out, and left the rebound stock at 11. With these settings, I felt the bike was more controllable and stayed a little higher in the stroke. Overall, it was a slightly stiffer setting that resulted in a more comfortable ride.

The YZ450F’s brakes have a distinctly progressive feeling. The front is easy to modulate and the rear is progressive, making it easy to drag the brake without locking up the rear wheel.
The YZ450F’s brakes have a distinctly progressive feeling. The front is easy to modulate and the rear is progressive, making it easy to drag the brake without locking up the rear wheel. (Mark Kariya/)

When sitting on the YZ450F, it feels like you are sitting in the bike. While riding, the bike feels a touch long, but that might be attributed to the pocked sensation of the seating positon. One very significant change I made was to move the handlebar mounting position to the rearward hole with the bar mounts forward. If you are counting from the rear forward, this would be the second position. On another test day, I may try turning them back to fully rearward (the first position). The Yamaha brakes have a distinctly progressive feeling. The front is easy to modulate and the rear is progressive, making it easy to drag the brake without locking up the rear wheel.

2021 Yamaha YZ450F Overall Impression

The 2021 Yamaha YZ450F is an excellent motocross bike right off the showroom floor.
The 2021 Yamaha YZ450F is an excellent motocross bike right off the showroom floor. (Mark Kariya/)

Even without any changes for 2021, the Yamaha YZ450F is still a bike that is easily in the running to be my favorite 450 motocrosser. I think choosing my number 1 pick in the 450 Motocross Shootout will come down to how quickly I can get comfortable on each bike and find the right setting for my riding style.

Gearbox

Helmet: Shoei VFX-EVO

Goggle: 100% Racecraft

Jersey: Alpinestars Supertech

Gloves: Alpinestars Techstar

Pant: Alpinestars Supertech

Boots: Alpinestars Tech 10

2021 Yamaha YZ450F Tech Spec

PRICE $9,399
ENGINE 449cc, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder four-stroke
TRANSMISSION/FINAL DRIVE 5-speed/chain
FRAME Aluminum bilateral beam
FRONT SUSPENSION KYB Speed-Sensitive System (SSS) coil-spring fork adjustable for compression and rebound damping; 12.2-in. travel
REAR SUSPENSION KYB shock adjustable for spring preload, high-/low-speed compression damping, and rebound damping; 12.5-in. travel
FRONT BRAKE Nissin 2-piston caliper, single 270mm disc
REAR BRAKE Nissin 1-piston caliper, single 240mm disc
WHEELBASE 58.3 in.
SEAT HEIGHT 38.0 in.
FUEL CAPACITY 1.6 gal.
CLAIMED WEIGHT 245 lb. wet
AVAILABLE Now
CONTACT [yamahamotorsports.com](https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorcycle)

Source