2021 GasGas MC 450F Review First Ride

Hugh Janus

The famed Glen Helen Raceway hosted the last bike introduction of the 2020 calendar year as GasGas rented out the main track for us to spin laps on two of its newest motocross bikes—the MC 250F and MC 450F. These models will serve as the basis of the racebikes used by the Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/GasGas Factory Racing team’s racers in the upcoming 2021 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series and the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship.

Riding the 2021 GasGas MC 450F at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California.
Riding the 2021 GasGas MC 450F at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, California. (Mason Owens/)

Although the MC 450F shares the majority of its components with the KTM 450 SX-F, it has some notable distinctions over the orange bike in addition to the cosmetics including a forged triple clamp, header pipe without a resonance chamber, different suspension setting, Maxxis MX-ST tires, and no map/traction control switch—all of which make for a difference in performance on the track.

With a limited supply of bikes at the 2021 GasGas press launch, we rode the MC 250F in the morning and the MC 450F in the afternoon, which meant we had to apply graphics after the latter had been ridden on the track and was a bit dirty. After wiping down the plastics, we applied our DeCal Works preprinted number plate backgrounds, which fit perfectly and went on effortlessly.
With a limited supply of bikes at the 2021 GasGas press launch, we rode the MC 250F in the morning and the MC 450F in the afternoon, which meant we had to apply graphics after the latter had been ridden on the track and was a bit dirty. After wiping down the plastics, we applied our DeCal Works preprinted number plate backgrounds, which fit perfectly and went on effortlessly. (Mason Owens/)

2021 GasGas MC 450F Engine

The MC 450F engine has a similar feel to the Husqvarna FC 450′s. It has a good, smooth, linear power delivery and it may be a little subdued when compared to the KTM 450 SX-F. The mapping is clean and responsive with good throttle control for a 450. The straight-tube header (as opposed to having a resonance chamber like the 450 SX-F and FC 450) and having the airbox more closed off may help with smoothing out the power curve.

The MC 450F’s power delivery is ultra smooth and easy to handle.
The MC 450F’s power delivery is ultra smooth and easy to handle. (Mason Owens/)

The GasGas runs well, but does feel like there is a little torque missing. It is free-revving and revs quite high, but does not make as much power in the higher rpm as its Austrian counterparts, meaning you might need to shift a little more often per lap. There is also some noticeable engine vibration through the handlebar and footpegs. The gear ratios are reasonable and are similar to most 450s. I used third gear 80 percent of the time on our initial test day at Glen Helen and selected fourth in the higher-speed sections and used second only in the tighter corners. The Brembo hydraulic clutch works well and it does not require too much input to shift under load.

It is minor, but there is some noticeable vibration from the engine through the handlebar and footpegs.
It is minor, but there is some noticeable vibration from the engine through the handlebar and footpegs. (Mason Owens/)

2021 GasGas MC 450F Suspension & Chassis/Handling

The GasGas chassis is very similar to the KTM. It carries over the same chrome-moly frame and aluminum subframe, while sharing the same swingarm as the Husqvarna. The radiator shrouds and front number plate are specific to the GasGas, and while the side panels and rear fender aren’t identical to the KTM, they are very alike and of course red. The seat is the same as a KTM, but with a different cover. The WP Xact fork and WP Xact shock are the same components that come on the KTM and Husqvarna. However, the internal settings are specific to the GasGas motorcycle. The Neken handlebar is the same bend as the KTM’s but is silver instead of black.

While it features the same WP Xact fork and WP Xact shock as the KTM 450 SX-F and Husqvarna FC 450, the MC 450F’s suspension settings are softer and in the range of most vet motocross riders, though a stiffer shock spring rate may be needed for those weighing more than 175 pounds.
While it features the same WP Xact fork and WP Xact shock as the KTM 450 SX-F and Husqvarna FC 450, the MC 450F’s suspension settings are softer and in the range of most vet motocross riders, though a stiffer shock spring rate may be needed for those weighing more than 175 pounds. (Mason Owens/)

The GasGas’ suspension is noticeably softer than the 2021 KTM’s; it feels more like the Husqvarna’s setting from 2020. It still has good bottoming resistance, but is just a little too busy in the initial part of the stroke. There is a little bit of an unbalanced feeling because while the air fork has a progressive feel when it goes deeper in the stroke, the shock unfortunately does not get as progressively stiff, which causes it to wallow a little under load.

I made some adjustments to the shock—mainly closing off the high-speed compression adjuster to a half-turn open in an effort to help hold up the rear. I also went in on the rebound adjuster to help control the shock a little more. These tweaks helped, but ultimately I think a stiffer spring would be needed for my 175-pound weight. The fork settings are a little closer in the range of vet motocross. The biggest advantage of the air fork is the increased adjustability. I was able to add 0.2 bar of air pressure to the fork and only moved the rebound adjuster in two clicks to get a setting I was comfortable with for the track conditions.

RELATED: 2020 GasGas TXT Racing Trials Bike Information

While the bike turns very well, I found that at times I could misjudge the front wheel traction. To make it a little more stable and predictable, I dropped the fork from the second line down in the clamps to the first line. For me, this helps with steering and also gives me a little more confidence on the bike. The rider triangle is as close to the KTM as you would expect. The seat cover is slightly different, and the gas tank may have a slightly different shape as they are not interchangeable.

How Does the 2021 GasGas MC 450F Ride?

It is difficult not to compare the GasGas to a KTM or Husqvarna. My first impression is that it’s much closer to a KTM because of the subframe, airbox, seat, and handlebar. However, while I was riding the bike, I got more of a sensation of riding a Husqvarna because of the smoother power delivery and softer suspension settings—not the 2021 FC 450, it felt more similar to the 2020 model.

The power delivery is slightly toned down in comparison to the KTM—mainly because of the exhaust and the slightly more restrictive airbox cover. We were informed that the engine and ECU settings are the same as the KTM, meaning if you are looking for more power, it is already in the bike. I am not saying the bike is low on power; it’s certainly a good-running 450, just maybe not the fire-breather of a Yamaha YZ450F or Honda CRF450R.

Although the GasGas models do not come standard with a map/traction control switch like the KTM and Husqvarna, the motocross bikes we tested were outfitted with them so we could compare the different settings for our review. The map/traction control switch can be purchased through the GasGas Technical Accessories catalog for $169, and the wire harness is designed to accept it.
Although the GasGas models do not come standard with a map/traction control switch like the KTM and Husqvarna, the motocross bikes we tested were outfitted with them so we could compare the different settings for our review. The map/traction control switch can be purchased through the GasGas Technical Accessories catalog for $169, and the wire harness is designed to accept it. (Mason Owens/)

Items like a vented airbox cover and the map/traction control switch that come on the KTM will increase the engine’s output without breaking the bank. Our testbike at the intro day was equipped with the optional map/traction control switch, which can be purchased through the GasGas Technical Accessories catalog for $169, and the differences between map 1 and map 2 are noticeable. It’s an easy installation as the wire harness is designed to accept the switch. If you still want more power and also want to save some weight, you could also look into an aftermarket exhaust. A full titanium system will set you back a few bucks, but you can drop a few pounds and increase power all at the same time.

Overall, the MC 450F handles well and is fun to ride. The settings are maybe more entry-level for a 450 motocross competition model and there is plenty of room for adjustments, which for most people, should be enough to be able to get comfortable. A stiffer shock spring would most likely benefit anyone heavier than 175 pounds.

The spokes on the MC 450F seem to come loose quickly. If you own one, keep an eye on them and tighten as needed, especially when the bike is new.
The spokes on the MC 450F seem to come loose quickly. If you own one, keep an eye on them and tighten as needed, especially when the bike is new. (Mason Owens/)

In addition to the bright red color that looks great, the most exciting thing is the price point. Until now, if you wanted a KTM or Husqvarna motorcycle, you were probably looking at an extra $1,000 over some other bikes in the same category. GasGas was able to omit a few items, such as the map/traction control switch and hourmeter, and use some less expensive components, such as the forged triple clamp and standard header pipe, to in turn reduce the retail price by $800 over the KTM 450 SX-F and $900 compared to the Husqvarna FC 450.

What it kept was the high-performance, lightweight, low-maintenance package that is offered from KTM and Husqvarna. The engine, ECU, chrome-moly frame, WP Xact suspension, and the rest of the major components are all the same. If you are the type of rider who is going to buy an exhaust and get your suspension revalved to your personal specifications, then there is no reason for you not to consider a GasGas.

Gearbox

The 2021 GasGas MC 450F is the only Austrian-built 450 motocross bike you can buy that retails for under five figures. At $9,399, it costs $800 less than the KTM 450 SX-F and $900 less than the Husqvarna FC 450, and still boasts nearly all of the same proven components of its higher-priced counterparts.
The 2021 GasGas MC 450F is the only Austrian-built 450 motocross bike you can buy that retails for under five figures. At $9,399, it costs $800 less than the KTM 450 SX-F and $900 less than the Husqvarna FC 450, and still boasts nearly all of the same proven components of its higher-priced counterparts. (Mason Owens/)

Helmet: Shoei VFX-EVO

Goggle: 100% Racecraft

Jersey: Alpinestars Techstar

Gloves: Alpinestars Techstar

Pants: Alpinestars Techstar

Boots: Alpinestars Tech 7

2021 GasGas MC 450F Tech Spec

PRICE $9,399
ENGINE 450cc, SOHC, liquid-cooled, single-cylinder four-stroke
TRANSMISSION/FINAL DRIVE 5-speed/chain
FRAME Steel central double-cradle
FRONT SUSPENSION WP Xact 48mm fork adjustable for air pressure, compression damping, and rebound damping; 12.2-in. travel
REAR SUSPENSION WP Xact shock adjustable for spring preload, high-/low-speed compression damping, and rebound damping; 11.8-in. travel
FRONT BRAKE Brembo 2-piston caliper, 260mm disc
REAR BRAKE Brembo 1-piston caliper, 220mm disc
WHEELBASE 58.5 in.
SEAT HEIGHT 37.4 in.
FUEL CAPACITY 1.8 gal.
CLAIMED WEIGHT 220 lb. (w/ all fluids except fuel)
AVAILABLE Now
CONTACT gasgas.com

Source