Had some time to kill today, so...

Earache

..got the bike out and went for a scoot.

Passed the Cline Mansion, looks like it could use a bit of paint. Built in 1928 by Foster Cline (rancher) Bet it was soemthing to see in it's day...

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

• Like 3

My goal today was to go over Boreas Pass and into Breckenridge from the south - but the Pass was closed due to Covid-19 safety measures. WTF?

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back down the hill to Como again I go. This is the train depot, eating house and hotel that are obviously not in use anymore. Shame.

Not a lot else happening in Como these days...

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

What a back yard:dancebanana:

It is pretty cool living out in the boonies..until you need something like groceries, fuel, etc. Then it sucks as the nearest shop of any kind is 30 miles away. But still, it's worth the extra effort.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

You have sooooooooo much land to roam around 

Is that Merc abandoned , that would make good money over here..............

merc.JPG.a6c4cd3c56b3778caf7e50e117821389.JPG

It looked like it's been there for a good while - very dust covered and had a lot of junk stored inside of it.

I rode just over 300 miles today and went through one modern town (Breckenridge) - nothing but open space out here and that's what I like most about living here. There are untold miles of dirt roads and trails to ride, most don't really go anywhere, lots of dead ends. But it's still fun to ride around and check them out - might see something cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Did you move to Colorado from elsewhere @Earache?

Yes, moved here 6 years ago. Prior to that we lived in Indianapolis, Ohio, Montana, Iowa  and Pennsylvania. But this is my last move - not going anywhere else as I'm getting too old to move.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Earache said:

Yes, moved here 6 years ago. Prior to that we lived in Indianapolis, Ohio, Montana, Iowa  and Pennsylvania. But this is my last move - not going anywhere else as I'm getting too old to move.

Isn't Pennsylvania where they have Welsh communities?

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Isn't Pennsylvania where they have Welsh communities?

Yes. But you'll find them all over the place as a lot of Welsh must have left Wales for the USA back in the day. Lots of German in Pennsylvania and Ohio as well. My grandfather immigrated to Ohio from Germany as did my wife's family.

Even our town here has a wall known as the Welsh Wall. It's was built by the Welsh stone masons that immigrated here. It's a retaining wall that was made from local rocks and uses no mortar - just stacked stone. Built in the 1880's and is still there - so they were skilled workers who knew whar they were doing. I'll get out later today and take some pics of these walls and foundations and post here.

Many of the gold miners here were from England, Ireland and Wales as they worked in mines there and were skilled at mining. So lots of Welsh influence here.

• Like 2

Had to run to get the mail, so I snapped a few pics of the Welsh made walls in town. More walls than York, I tell ya!

A lot of the foundations no longer have buildings on them and are in a state of ruin..

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG

• Like 2

But there are lots of examples where the walls / foundations are still in use. The Welsh made walls have no mortar whereas more modern walls here do have mortar...

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

• Like 4