2nd Ride of June 2020

Earache

I've got to come up with a new naming system for Ride Reports - this might get a bit tedious.

Anyway, second ride of June took me up and over Independence Pass near Aspen, Colorado today. A small lake near Copper Mountain - was forzen over 2 weeks ago whjen I was last past here...

IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

• Like 4

Continuing up the hill, passed the remnants of an avalanche. The snow is all gone but the trees and mess remain. Can you imagine being caught up in the mess as it flies down the mountain? Trees would beat the shit out of you...

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Made it to the Pass / Continental Divide. Wind was whipping at about 45 mph at this point. Thought my bike was going to blow over...

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely amazing @Earache........and all that snow in June? ?

Are you retired because it looks like you can get out most days?

As for thread titles......go with the destination or area because that helps the site in terms of search engine indexing.

Man the West™ has some of the greatest scenery! Suddenly i realize i havnt been out there since the 1980's..not sure why... :classic_unsure:

7 hours ago, Earache said:

And now back down the hill into Aspen...

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

When you say 'back down the pass to Aspen'  I keep thinking of that scene in Dumb and Dumber with them on the moped ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

Absolutely amazing @Earache........and all that snow in June? ?

Are you retired because it looks like you can get out most days?

As for thread titles......go with the destination or area because that helps the site in terms of search engine indexing.

That snow is there pretty much year 'round. A little more will melt but most stays there - especially on the north facing side of the mountains where the sun can't melt it.

I work for myself, so I can ride whenever I feel like it usually. Gotta remember that my riding season is only 3 months long - June, July and August. Any other time and there's a chance it'll be snowing or too cold to ride at elevation. We can have some fantastic weather in May as well as September, but it also snows in those months so you really can't plan on anything. So I rode as much as I can in June, July, August.

Today and this evening I have work - I'll get 14 hours or so in and make  up a bit for yesterday. Have to work Friday & Saturday as well so no more riding until Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

When you say 'back down the pass to Aspen'  I keep thinking of that scene in Dumb and Dumber with them on the moped ?

I've never seen the movie - but I kinda get the gist of what you're saying. I'll have to look it up on youtube.

And one pic from my phone that I forgot to add. Shot from the fuel station parking lot in Leadville. Not bad scenery for a fuel station!

fuel station.jpg

• Like 3

That's a short window of opportunity for riding @Earache........I'd go crazy.

Here in Spain I can pretty much plan for it to be all year round.

Jan/Feb can get cold......and July/August can get hot. But usually I'll be able to get out at some point.

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

That's a short window of opportunity for riding @Earache........I'd go crazy.

Here in Spain I can pretty much plan for it to be all year round.

Jan/Feb can get cold......and July/August can get hot. But usually I'll be able to get out at some point.

I do some off road riding in Moab when it's too cold here. It;s not far away and we just toss the dirtbikes in the truck and go. It extends our riding season a bit. 

Pics form a previous trip - snowing at my houise as we load up and 26C in Moab....

IMG_4174.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Wow! Very nice @Earache

Just looking at those icicles hanging off the house......what sort of temp was that?

Probably around 0 to 6F (-15C) on most mornings. That side of the house is south facing so it gets a lot of afternoon melt when the sun hits it and some big assed icicles form there.

• Like 1