Rally fettling

boboneleg

So after my two day trail ride I confirmed to myself that the Rally (CRF250 RLA) needs some attention to the rear shock.  First of all it needed a good clean so off with the bodywork and get on with it...........

IMG_4783.thumb.JPEG.709e524c40ca9779657ddb2126f6626c.JPEG

Bodywork drying in the sun.........

IMG_4787.thumb.JPEG.dd3392e25eeaaeef6be6a61da51016fc.JPEG

IMG_4784.thumb.JPEG.d0878aa9e7f811424ca36145043836b3.JPEG

Found some more pebbles :classic_rolleyes:

IMG_4788.thumb.JPEG.7a4fc1e675905a5431c544ffe4e920f8.JPEG

I also found this, a good illustration why you need to keep fettling a trail bike.  Luckily I didn't lost the bolt and it's been loctited back in now ..........

IMG_4785.thumb.JPEG.d7a99f29d323112786ca594d7184592a.JPEG

So onto the main job, getting the rear shock out.  Rear wheel out , remove shock guard , remove battery to give room to get at the top mount bolt on the shock ..........

IMG_4789.thumb.JPEG.d5f433d21c57f8f20373bd1f641c4bad.JPEG

IMG_4790.thumb.JPEG.529c17177194d77ddd9b80f2e06f4213.JPEG

and the shock is out.  I'll take it into work tomorrow and give it a clean in the parts cleaner to see what need to be done.  It's five years old now and the rebound adjuster is seized so I'll have to see if it's worth rebuilding or get a new shock............

IMG_4791.thumb.JPEG.539e66b274efd7e07443dc0c9535d528.JPEG

• Like 6

On 30/05/2023 at 22:35, XTreme said:

No 300 Rallys coming to Spain!

What a shame, they’d be ideal for off road here. You can get the standard CRF 300 L which isn’t a bad alternative.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skippy said:

What a shame, they’d be ideal for off road here. You can get the standard CRF 300 L which isn’t a bad alternative.

Are they actually available now? I don't see any advertised.

34 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Are they actually available now? I don't see any advertised.

I thought I’d seen some advertised through a dealer in Valencia some time ago? 

1 minute ago, Skippy said:

I thought I’d seen some advertised through a dealer in Valencia some time ago? 

Dealer up north has had one advertised on motos.net for a year.......but when I contacted them last year he didn't have one.

And didn't know when he'd get one.

No other dealers showing anything.

1 minute ago, Skippy said:

Here you Pete, a quick scan on Millanucios brought up these three second hand ones. Must be available new as well?

IMG_3388.png

They're asking nearly new price!

And I wouldn't buy a CRF secondhand.......cos you never know how it's been treated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

They're asking nearly new price!

And I wouldn't buy a CRF secondhand.......cos you never know how it's been treated.

Mate, that’s true of any Spanish second hand bike.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

I was thinking of a Spanish equivalent of @Sir Fallsalot

I couldn't agree more, I've been out with a lot of CRF owners and the abuse some of those bikes have had would make me think twice about buying a second hand one that i didn't know the history of. If i was buying one i wouldn't want someones broken bitch that is something i'd like to do myself 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I couldn't agree more, I've been out with a lot of CRF owners and the abuse some of those bikes have had would make me think twice about buying a second hand one that i didn't know the history of. If i was buying one i wouldn't want someones broken bitch that is something i'd like to do myself 

There are guys about that abuse bikes more than you? :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1

Just now, XTreme said:

There are guys about that abuse bikes more than you? :classic_ohmy:

Hey I'm quite gentle with the bikes compared to some, one problem is there's a lot of novices buying these bikes to learn trail riding on so with no experience on the dirt they are hard on the bike and then move on selling it as only used for light green laning and the other is the experienced riders buying one to slow down but can't and end up riding it like their enduro bike and smashing it into the ground

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Hey I'm quite gentle with the bikes compared to some, one problem is there's a lot of novices buying these bikes to learn trail riding on so with no experience on the dirt they are hard on the bike and then move on selling it as only used for light green laning and the other is the experienced riders buying one to slow down but can't and end up riding it like their enduro bike and smashing it into the ground

I still haven't ruled out a CRF in my future!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I still haven't ruled out a CRF in my future!

A mate of mine in the UK has a holiday home over here and leaves his CRF300 Rally here to play on when he comes over. Very nice bit of kit and I’d have one when I get as old as @XTreme 🤣

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Skippy said:

A mate of mine in the UK has a holiday home over here and leaves his CRF300 Rally here to play on when he comes over. Very nice bit of kit and I’d have one when I get as old as @XTreme 🤣

Kramer Mind Blown GIF

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, XTreme said:

Dealer up north has had one advertised on motos.net for a year.......but when I contacted them last year he didn't have one.

And didn't know when he'd get one.

No other dealers showing anything.

are you thinking of one Pete

6 minutes ago, skyrider said:

are you thinking of one Pete

Always like them Lionel!

I'd prefer it if it had a bigger tank and was more of an XL250 styling rather than MX.

spacer.png

I think if Honda used the CRF motor in a retro style option they'd sell shitloads!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Always like them Lionel!

I'd prefer it if it had a bigger tank and was more of an XL250 styling rather than MX.

spacer.png

I think if Honda used the CRF motor in a retro style option they'd sell shitloads!

Yep I would be up for that 👍

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Always like them Lionel!

spacer.png

What do you want a bigger tank for it will do over 120 miles on the tank it has which is more than you've done in the last 6 months :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

What do you want a bigger tank for it will do over 120 miles on the tank it has which is more than you've done in the last 6 months :classic_laugh:

Season 5 Episode 3 GIF by Living Single

• Haha 1

So back to the fettling while @XTreme decides whether he's actually going to get a CRF or not .

The shock was taken to James Packwwod racing to sort out the non-working rebound adjuster.  I then fitted new sprockets front and rear as the bike still had the originals on there, the front was well hooked ..........

IMG_4819.thumb.JPEG.fc02cd36aeffff630ec5809ba0b8c409.JPEG

But the rear wasn't too bad so I'll keep that one as a spare ................

IMG_4815.thumb.JPEG.6b8c56337028e845b23c3052a8f40440.JPEG

Heat up the rear sprocket bolts BEFORE trying to undo them ..........

IMG_4813.thumb.JPEG.7695284467eb69ab9165519104c9ae1d.JPEG

and then fit them using blue loctite ............

IMG_4817.thumb.JPEG.143a3254de4dd8a524268c02b02b1fb3.JPEG

and it's done..................

IMG_4825.thumb.jpeg.c4499d186c187750748f4d309d45b248.jpeg

I then used the original shock to put the bike back on two wheels, re-fitted all the bodywork, gave it all a polish and she's done.  Just got to wait for the shock to be repaired and then I can re-fit that 👍

• Like 5