Transalp test ride

Specs

First things first. I didn't buy one!

I did just over an hour's riding. M4 motorway from Cwmbran to Chepstow and back via Usk -  a twisty road with some straight bits and a variety of surfaces.

Bike's ergonomics were spot on for me. The pegs are set slightly further forward and lower than on the GS allowing for less bend in the legs giving greater comfort.

The engine is a bit Jekyll and Hyde in as much as it will happily chug along in a high gear at low speed, and will pull away smoothly. The power seems to be delivered quite high in the rev range, so for overtakes it needs a couple of gears lower before it really gets going. That's when things get surprisingly interesting! Coming from the GS I missed the low end grunt, and the ease of quick overtakes in sixth gear if I felt lazy. The quick shifter and gearbox were great - no issues.

Suspension was very plush, giving a comfortable ride even on poor surfaces, and the bike didn't get deflected by lumps and bumps keeping its line well. There was some dive on braking - good brakes - and under enthusiastic acceleration it tends to sit back and the front gets slightly light . Nothing wrong there, I'm just not that used to conventional suspension. I found the handling great. It was quite windy but it wasn't bothersome. The bike felt very planted at all speeds.

The windscreen gave very similar wind protection to that on the GS. The seat ok, but I was only on it for an hour. It tended to sort of push me forward into the lowest bit of it and I'd have preferred to be sitting slightly further back. Different contouring would sort it, custom maybe. It's all subjective anyway! No problems flat footing. Wasn't too keen on the rally pegs as it felt as if my boots were glued to them, ok for off road maybe, but I like to move my feet around. The standard pegs with the rubber insert would be my choice. Standing up the sides of the tank got in the way because of the pegs being slightly forward. GS ergonomics much better in that respect.

What else is there? Engine sounded ok especially when the throttle was wide open at higher revs. Plenty of videos on YouTube.

All in all I liked it, and although it isn't in any way really in the same niche as the GS, I can quite happily see myself being happy with one.

Why didn't I get one? Earliest delivery is in August. I've put my name on a list if there's someone cancelling an order. 

Some snaps and a quick video.

IMG_0756.thumb.jpeg.a1ffada4d4348339c52c69ae034fb131.jpeg

IMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.b07db33c539c295ba57106b22290e091.jpeg

IMG_0758.thumb.jpeg.5ae729b5044062fb9a53d0b32063c3f6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great review Alan! What tyres come as standard? 

Not the Trailmax Mixtour I hope......they're fucking horrible!

One of those tyres that wants to keep running wider on corners.......whereas the Scorpion Trail II's just drop in with no effort.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Great review Alan! What tyres come as standard? 

Not the Trailmax Mixtour I hope......they're fucking horrible!

One of those tyres that wants to keep running wider on corners.......whereas the Scorpion Trail II's just drop in with no effort.

I think they were Metzeler something or other. 

• Like 1

Good review Alan 👍

With regards to the engine, it seems that’s the way Honda are building their engines now. You have to almost thrash them but they thrive on it and still get good mpg.

• Like 2

Funnily enough I was talking to the salesman up at Damerells a couple of weeks ago about the new trans alp, vstrom, hornet and 8gs thingy.    He rated the Suzuki 800 twin motor over the Honda 750.   Reconned that despite  the figures on paper the Suzuki felt quicker than the Honda.   Not that, that is an indicator of the comparison between the bikes I found it interesting just the same as they have demonstrators of all four.  Probably say’s more about the salesman riding style or perhaps where the bigger commission lay.   I prefer the look of the Hondas personally but if it were my money it would be a new hornet or a 650 vstrom.    I like the new trans alp but that 650 strom is a proven icon to my mind.  Also I think that new Suzuki 8GS thing is just to weird looking for my liking.    

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Saul said:

but that 650 strom is a proven icon to my mind.

One of the best bikes ever made!

But 20kg heavier than the CB and very top heavy with a full tank.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, XTreme said:

One of the best bikes ever made!

But 20kg heavier than the CB and very top heavy with a full tank.

Yeah but if I am honest it would be the Hornet all day long for me if it were my money.    Best value package of all of them for my needs.    Plus my SW Motech luggage would got straight on.  

On 30/05/2023 at 15:31, Saul said:

Funnily enough I was talking to the salesman up at Damerells a couple of weeks ago about the new trans alp, vstrom, hornet and 8gs thingy.    He rated the Suzuki 800 twin motor over the Honda 750.   Reconned that despite  the figures on paper the Suzuki felt quicker than the Honda.   Not that, that is an indicator of the comparison between the bikes I found it interesting just the same as they have demonstrators of all four.  Probably say’s more about the salesman riding style or perhaps where the bigger commission lay.   I prefer the look of the Hondas personally but if it were my money it would be a new hornet or a 650 vstrom.    I like the new trans alp but that 650 strom is a proven icon to my mind.  Also I think that new Suzuki 8GS thing is just to weird looking for my liking.    

The Hornet is pretty much the un-faired lower version of the Transalp, same engine with slightly different mapping and gearing. I'd never buy a Suzuki again after the way that my Bandit rusted! Maybe they've improved by now to be fair - I think that someone should produce a stainless steel bike that wouldn't need cleaning and wouldn't rust! 

I want something with a fairing of sorts, fairly upright ergonomics, capable of handling dirt tracks, has the capacity to carry luggage, isn't too heavy and has the performance of a GS. OK skip the performance, but needs to be about 200kg and not too tall. Unicorn?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Specs said:

The Hornet is pretty much the un-faired lower version of the Transalp, same engine with slightly different mapping and gearing. I'd never buy a Suzuki again after the way that my Bandit rusted! Maybe they've improved by now to be fair - I think that someone should produce a stainless steen bike that wouldn't need cleaning and wouldn't rust! 

I want something with a fairing of sorts, fairly upright ergonomics, capable of handling dirt tracks, has the capacity to carry luggage, isn't too heavy and has the performance of a GS. OK skip the performance, but needs to be about 200kg and not too tall. Unicorn?

200kg is going to be tough.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

Kerb weight is a claimed 208kg 

TA is the nearest match for sure, but the power delivery being high up on the rev range is a bit odd for that type of bike.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

TA is the nearest match for sure, but the power delivery being high up on the rev range is a bit odd for that type of bike.

A startling difference when the engine is worked. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Specs said:

A startling difference when the engine is worked. 

If it's anything like the Africa Twin you will find the speedo over 10mph fast once you go past 100mph. When i done a top speed run on mine i was pretty impressed with 140mph showing on the clock and then i found out it was only 130 after using the GPS 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You're forgetting about the T700

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

Probably too trail oriented for Alan I'd have thought.

I just looked at the Strom 800DE......230kgs! WTF?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Probably too trail oriented for Alan I'd have thought.

They're a great road bike , I know the press will make you think they're just for off road but that's not the case imo.  The engine is a stonker and it makes even more sense in the MT-07.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

They're a great road bike , I know the press will make you think they're just for off road but that's not the case imo.  The engine is a stonker and it makes even more sense in the MT-07.

205kg apparently......Yamaha got that right!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Tried it when it was first released. The lump sticking out of the right hand side of the engine (gearbox cover?) kept getting in the way of my right calf. Irritating so gave up on it. I went there ready to do a deal!