HONDA TRANSALP 750 Review

Admin

• 3 weeks later...

This is my mate's personal review of his new Transalp ...............

Well, 150 odd miles today.
Handling brilliant on road at speed and wonderful balance at walking pace.
Brakes good (smaller Nissans than an AT but bigger disks & it works well)
Finish - pretty shite in some areas, cheaply covered ill fitting seat, exhaust system real tatty ugly affair. Swing arm welds are good but some of the frame welds done by a trainee monkey robot ?
Wind noise from lower fairing drowns out the week sounding silencer
Cheap feel and look to the levers.
pillion pegs can't be removed because they also hold the silencer bracket
some of the wiring looks a bit ugly, wound in black tape. Coolant pipes don't have a decent finish either.
The suspension settings on dry off-road rough stuff was great straight out the box, but without a sump guard you don't want to get silly.
Not a review, just some of the things I've noticed on my first day and nothing that can't be sorted.

Trouble is ,I'm making comparisons with a very well built and finished 701 and an ever better built Dragster.
The reason I bought this bike is because it's a Honda. I know it'll just go on and on back and forth across two counties to my old mums care home.
The Dragster is back at the dealers after another tantrum, The 701 seat and my arse won't talk to each other................ I rest my case !

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

This is my mate's personal review of his new Transalp ...............

Well, 150 odd miles today.
Handling brilliant on road at speed and wonderful balance at walking pace.
Brakes good (smaller Nissans than an AT but bigger disks & it works well)
Finish - pretty shite in some areas, cheaply covered ill fitting seat, exhaust system real tatty ugly affair. Swing arm welds are good but some of the frame welds done by a trainee monkey robot ?
Wind noise from lower fairing drowns out the week sounding silencer
Cheap feel and look to the levers.
pillion pegs can't be removed because they also hold the silencer bracket
some of the wiring looks a bit ugly, wound in black tape. Coolant pipes don't have a decent finish either.
The suspension settings on dry off-road rough stuff was great straight out the box, but without a sump guard you don't want to get silly.
Not a review, just some of the things I've noticed on my first day and nothing that can't be sorted.

Trouble is ,I'm making comparisons with a very well built and finished 701 and an ever better built Dragster.
The reason I bought this bike is because it's a Honda. I know it'll just go on and on back and forth across two counties to my old mums care home.
The Dragster is back at the dealers after another tantrum, The 701 seat and my arse won't talk to each other................ I rest my case !

Surprised on build quality!

Where are they building it?

58 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Surprised on build quality!

Where are they building it?

I don't know to be honest but Honda's build quality has never been as good as it was in the 1990's .

• Like 3

Just now, boboneleg said:

I don't know to be honest but Honda's build quality has never been as good as it was in the 1990's .

They're not building TA's in Spain again are they? :classic_ohmy:

On 11/06/2023 at 18:58, XTreme said:

They're not building TA's in Spain again are they? :classic_ohmy:

My dominator is an Italian import they were supposed to be shit build quality from there but it is far superior to the new Africa Twin i have everything is built to a price so it affects the quality on all makes of bike, looking at different makes when i'm out and about i can't say I've noticed one manufacturer is better built than any other, their all shit compared to the stuff from the 90's

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

My dominator is an Italian import they were supposed to be shit build quality from there but it is far superior to the new Africa Twin i have everything is built to a price so it affects the quality on all makes of bike, looking at different makes when i'm out and about i can't say I've noticed one manufacturer is better built than any other, their all shit compared to the stuff from the 90's

Exactly , that's why there are still so many DR650's from '96 -'99 still doing a grand job.  CBR600's , VFR's as well just to mention a few.

• Like 3