MOT buggery

Buckster

2 hours ago, Tango said:

I guess that I don't need to mention using a smear of red rubber grease during reassembly? đŸ˜‰đŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚

If our bikes were not going to be used for a bit I used pop the calipers off and pump the pistons out a fraction. Then clean the pistons as much as was possible, put a smear of red rubber grease on them and then push the pistons back. Then I'd repeat this cycle until all the pistons moved out at the same rate. Finally, push the pistons back in and leave them until the first use of the bikes,  remembering to pump the brake lever and pedal before trying to move them. 

I use silicon grease, red rubber grease reacts with dot 4 brake fluid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckster said:

Harleys use dot 4? Is that standard  for agriculture?

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, Buckster said:

I've been told this after using rubber grease for years with no probs.:classic_blink:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Buckster said:

The EBC says discs are floaters, I have used solids before and I was able to get them quickly, they are here now. I see how they last but I want to have a proper look at the brakes and see if there are any reasons they may be failing, I have new pistons and seals here as well so will rebuild the calipers while I am on.

sam winchester yawn GIF

• Haha 4

Dug my runout gauge out and the right hand disc is well warped but the left is within tolerance. Will strip the calipers now.

• Like 3

It seems most of the pistons are pretty sticky, only one was moving the way it should and that was in the right hand side calliper and the pads on that side have a white edge wear pattern hence the warped disc. I am out of seal grease so will have to rebuild them tomorrow, it looks like I have found the problem, the dealers would have just replaced the discs and passed the mot and then the issue would have been back next year, in fact that is what they did last time as I let them swap the discs that time. Always better to do it yourself.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Buckster said:

It seems most of the pistons are pretty sticky, only one was moving the way it should and that was in the right hand side calliper and the pads on that side have a white edge wear pattern hence the warped disc. I am out of seal grease so will have to rebuild them tomorrow, it looks like I have found the problem, the dealers would have just replaced the discs and passed the mot and then the issue would have been back next year, in fact that is what they did last time as I let them swap the discs that time. Always better to do it yourself.

When mine were warped they weren't throwing left to right they were dished, the pads always dragged a little ever since i had the bike it was only when i took the discs off the wheel i noticed how bad they were i could slide the metal part of the pad under the disc where i should have been struggling to fit a fag paper

IMG_9252.thumb.JPG.dd3d562448116e05c7383de39aedca4c.JPG

• Like 4

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

When mine were warped they weren't throwing left to right they were dished, the pads always dragged a little ever since i had the bike it was only when i took the discs off the wheel i noticed how bad they were i could slide the metal part of the pad under the disc where i should have been struggling to fit a fag paper

IMG_9252.thumb.JPG.dd3d562448116e05c7383de39aedca4c.JPG

More evidence of you trying to get your moneys worth  ?

eyebrow-raise-spock.gif.95f24a4ea4ae86bbde0d9ff40d79f089.gif

• Haha 3

I think the calliper on the right side has been pulsing as one piston was more free running that the other three.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I think the calliper on the right side has been pulsing as one piston was more free running that the other three.

Think someone will need a serious brake upgrade...fair enough it's a heavy bike and now your hauling a trailer full of Bibles....think you'll need titanium rotors and 6 piston calipers from porcha...

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Goldfren? I use them on the dominator.

I have heard mixed reports about them but the AD pads sound like they will be equal if not better than the EBC organics, time will tell, I know that price wise they are a lot less than EBC which I think trades too much on its name.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I have heard mixed reports about them but the AD pads sound like they will be equal if not better than the EBC organics, time will tell, I know that price wise they are a lot less than EBC which I think trades too much on its name.

I've used a few of the ADs, not seen much wear on the discs and they've got good bite.