The (Failed!) Trip to Dakar

Specs

2 minutes ago, Specs said:

In Marbella I was so overcome by the heat and the beer that I failed to take many photos. Also I had a lot on my mind as I was suffering from what I thought was vertigo, and I was increasingly concerned about how I wasn't adapting to the heat. I hadn't realised at the time but there was an unseasonal heat wave going on at the time that didn't exactly ease my suffering. Thoughts about 'letting the team down' and the reality that I could become a liability had to be taken into consideration. Did we all want the same thing out of the journey? All this was going through my mind and despite copious amounts of beer kept me awake at night.

Eventually I decided on giving up on the African adventure with something in mind about trying again maybe, when it wasn't as hot. Decision made I felt better but still have niggling concerns about letting Titus down. Titus and Omar are now in Senegal and are talking about heading back as the political climate isn't great in some of the countries that they'd have to cross if they tried to get further south.

IMG_0449.thumb.JPG.9756ed04eabd0cd833ed28bf2bd8f4d7.JPG

A stroll between sessions in the pub! The sailing ship was supposedly a replica of the Santa Maria, maybe. We decided on not going aboard as the price was rather steep and the money would be better spent on beer.

IMG_0450.thumb.JPG.fbd38fee1838754ddfa2edfc7a1c85d4.JPG

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.73ad72777dbd68259b51fc53a10fa732.JPG

IMG_0452.thumb.JPG.735bafb339b8e843902288e07726cc36.JPG

View from Carmel's appartment.

IMG_0453.thumb.JPG.a2d673bfa91a9ed1cca55dfa808e5dde.JPG

28CB7494-80EA-48FA-993B-A296DFE7A16B.thumb.jpg.ee17dad8b27ad180a2de096ee1746711.jpg

It was the hottest April on record Alan......normally temps would be early 20's max!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The following morning we headed off along the coast road towards Algeciras where Titus and Omar were catching the ferry to Ceuta. I turned off, at the wrong turning as it happened, waved goodbye and headed back up to Ronda where I'd booked a room for the night. I didn't want to go too far as I really hadn't decided what I was going to do. I'd been told that it was a lot cooler up in northwest Spain, and I also considered heading for the Pyrenees, the Massif Central or the Alps. No idea really so I decided to sleep on it. Note to self to always have a Plan B in mind.

Nice enough hotel. Not very expensive, friendly staff and enjoyed the bar and food. The room however was a disappointment as it was in the slope of the roof and wasn't at all suitable for my six foot. The more vertically challenged amongst us would have struggled in the lowest part of the room.

IMG_0457.thumb.JPG.cbcead2800a61a1640f0efd3089f4ef3.JPG

Not a cover but my flysheet getting an airing.

IMG_0456.thumb.JPG.e53ce2daddeaf210cc68e6d403173d9f.JPG

I giggled when I saw this. Schindler's Lift. Ok, forget it!

IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.d414ba08d9d1117b0fb1bfc2e1fc0b85.JPG

I really like the idea of something with beer.

IMG_0463.thumb.JPG.e4545e1df3947ac48ffd31670a833a41.JPG

• Like 5

I headed north towards Careres where we'd camped on the way down. A longish ride but I chose a route avoiding Seville passing to the east then through some interesting areas of hills before getting on the motorway for the last bit to the campsite.

Slight hitch when I tried to book. They were full up. I checked booking.com for a nearby hotel and it transpired that a room was available at the campsite. I hadn't realised that they had rooms there, next door to reception, which was next door to the bar. Sorted!

Some photos of the run there before I got too hot and lost the will to stop. Really enjoyed the ride except for the last bit.

IMG_0466.thumb.JPG.1907df4befe68ab594fa438b39a61982.JPG

IMG_0467.thumb.JPG.d844dc95b4a5c7be95e4efba8b7cba20.JPG

IMG_0468.thumb.JPG.4cb507ecc30e04edd559f73c999f6fa2.JPG

I visited the one made famous in WW2 back in 1980 if I remember correctly.

IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.2436367da85a2879d6654f944f3439d1.JPG

Apparently an arab fort/castle.

IMG_0472.thumb.JPG.5bf720092da23714ab78c013650cbb0f.JPG

A snack after arriving. I had more of the same later.

IMG_0475.thumb.JPG.8743e10e229034f0018256ee7c9062c1.JPG

A change from soaps at home.

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.a3726cfce2f6aed764e4fdfbad944c36.JPG

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Earache said:

What was the "snack"? Bowl of puke and fried bull's balls?

You can’t comment, you people eat grits.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Buckster said:

You can’t comment, you people eat grits.

Never had them in my life. Only southern people eat that crap.

• Haha 1

Seville is a no go if you don’t like heat, it’s probably the hottest city in Spain, I’ve ridden through there in October well into the night at over 30°C.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Earache said:

What was the "snack"? Bowl of puke and fried bull's balls?

It was certainly some sort of meat and what I thought was spuds turned out to be cheese balls. 😆

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Buckster said:

When do we get to the good bit?

You know, when the wank panzer shits itself.

It’s still at the poxy shitrdden excuse of a stealer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was tld today that Portuguese BMW dealers are also taking forever to get parts. My guy has a k1600 waiting for a thermostat for 3 weeks, and there’s an almost new R1200 at the main dealer waiting for a seal for two months.

Don’t know why they need a seal to help fix the bike but that’s bmw.

Seal With It GIF

• Like 1

I am so glad I am not the only person who laughs when I see a lift with Schindler written on it. We had them at work until recently. Some of my best friends have been stuck in them when they broke down between floors.

• Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I was tld today that Portuguese BMW dealers are also taking forever to get parts. My guy has a k1600 waiting for a thermostat for 3 weeks, and there’s an almost new R1200 at the main dealer waiting for a seal for two months.

Don’t know why they need a seal to help fix the bike but that’s bmw.

Seal With It GIF

In the course of complaining I was put through to the BMW UK complaints people. Long story short, it seems that there's a recall on some models, so all the workshops are busy with the backlog of bikes resulting in the delays. Well, that's what I was told anyway. 😡🤬

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Specs said:

It was certainly some sort of meat and what I thought was spuds turned out to be cheese balls. 😆

It's "croquetas", they fry a similar thing to a thick béchamel sauce.

In Portugal, "croquetes" are similarly fried meat balls, just one of the many things in which we are vastly superior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Specs said:

In the course of complaining I was put through to the BMW UK complaints people. Long story short, it seems that there's a recall on some models, so all the workshops are busy with the backlog of bikes resulting in the delays. Well, that's what I was told anyway. 😡🤬

You don't need this fucking grief Alan!

Even when it gets fixed, are you going to have confidence in it going forward?

Just now, XTreme said:

Fucks sake, give it up already, salt on the wound you are. Are you on commission from Honda?

• Haha 7

I'm quite curious about someone else other than me doing a ride report on Portugal, more so after coming from Spain. You twats can wait until the part where the bike goes kaput.

• Haha 4

Sounds like the trip was torture for you Al. I could feel the heat as i was reading as you know i'm not a lover of heat myself and can remember how uncomfortable i was on our little detour a few years ago in 30c that was punishing for me :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

how uncomfortable i was on our little detour a few years ago in 30c that was punishing for me 

You come over here in July and August and I'll show you punishing!

You'd love it at 45C!

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, XTreme said:

Probably not, we'll see. I spoke with the manager there this morning. He was obviously under pressure and ensured me that they weren't always as busy as they are now. Also said I could take the bike elsewhere if I wanted to, but that it would probably the same due to all the recalls. Apparently they managed to clear the fault warning yesterday so it's no longer in limp mode, but need to pug it into the computer, which wasn't working, and that will be on Tuesday. That's three weekends that I've lost.

I had a text yesterday from the Honda stealer in Cwmbran saying that they'd just taken delivery of their demonstrator Transalp. As soon as mine is sorted I'll book a ride and see what they will offer, if I can put up with the transmission whine, that is! 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

You come over here in July and August and I'll show you punishing!

You'd love it at 45C!

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

I have more sense than to even try! 😅

• Haha 1