Las Vegas and SoCal

Earache

I had planned on  leaving for Vegas on Thursday, but then read the weather report for Thursday....

>>>>For the north-central mountains (and front-range mountains), including areas near Eagle, Summit, Grand, ClearCreek, western Boulder/Larimer counties the main rain/snow event will be from 9pm Wed to 9am Fri (heaviest Thu afternoon / evening): 6-12" of new snow mostly above 9k ft, with up to 15" in areas near/along the Cont. Divide: Cameron Pass, RMNP, IPW, Berthoud Pass, Jones Pass, areas near Grays/Torreys, etc will be favored)<<<<

Well fuck me runnin' - gonna have to leave on Wednesday morning to beat it outta the hills before the shit storm starts. As we live at 10,000', it's definitely not gonna be riding weather Thursday.

Tomorrow's route. Will probably stay overnight at the Colorado / Utah state line just to kill some time.  Wife is flying into Vegas on Friday and I don't want to get there too early...

Untitled.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, XTreme said:

You on the Super Ten Eric?

No-  the Gold Thing. Will be riding two up with the wife on a couple of days in Vegas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Earache said:

No-  the Gold Thing. Will be riding two up with the wife on a couple of days in Vegas.

No need to make excuses dude, live your truth!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

No need to make excuses dude, live your truth!

True!  I'm just happy to be riding regardless of what bike it's on.

• Like 5

Not a lot happened as I dropped out of the mountains and into the flats of the Western Slope. Temps steadily increased and topped out at about 76F / 25C near Grand Junction. It felt like heaven to me as I finally escaped cold weather on a bike for the first time in a long time.

Got to GJ too early to check in to my hotel so I cruised around a bit. Cool to see the ground change to sandstone from the granite and schists like we have at home...

IMG_9060.JPG

IMG_9061.JPG

IMG_9062.JPG

IMG_9065.JPG

IMG_9066.JPG

• Like 8

I love that the State of Colorado doesn't waste money on superfluous items like guardrails on their roads. If you plunge to your death then it's your own fault....

IMG_9110.JPG

IMG_9121.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Got my hotel in Grand Junction around 4:00 PM. Nice little ride today. Up early tomorrow to ride across the desert to Las Vegas.

I'll be in the pool, scaring little kids and old ladies if you need me.

More tomorrow....

IMG_9138.JPG

IMG_9148.JPG

IMG_9149.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

''What did you do today then Eric''  Oh I just rode a fully loaded Goldwing on gravel roads with snow lying all around and temperatures at 4c  

Alison Brie What GIF

wing.JPG.5832fb4dbe15c7f77931e9c8073f3bda.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

''What did you do today then Eric''  Oh I just rode a fully loaded Goldwing on gravel roads with snow lying all around and temperatures at 4c  

Alison Brie What GIF

wing.JPG.5832fb4dbe15c7f77931e9c8073f3bda.JPG

Today will be different; riding in the desert all day with temps around 95F / 35C. Gonna be a hot one!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Big bag on the passenger seat on top of all that closed luggage space, have you considered a trailer?

Bag is my stuff - the bike has the wife's helmet, her jacket and boots in it. One side bag has my camera gear in it with a cooler. Carrying stuff for two people does kinda suck. but the wife wanted to fly with a carry on only and didn't have room for riding stuff.

Besides, I'm not old enough for a trailer yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Long day yesterday - 660 miles across Utah, Arizona and Nevada. Gonna call this the Truck Stop Tour as that's where I spent a lot of time yesterday.....

IMG_2791.JPG

AXKN0499.JPG

DBRF8693.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

• Like 5

Had the Full American breakfast at one truck stop followed by the Full American lunch at another hours later. Just nothing else to eat out here ....

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

This area is an old ocean basin, thus all of the sandstone. After being eroded for millions of years, it leaves a stunning landscape. Barren and awesome at the same time.

Even the old west train robbers thought it was cool...

IMG_9161.JPG

IMG_9162.JPG

IMG_9163.JPG

• Like 6