Helmet intercom

Buckster

I have the Sena kit that you install on Schuberth. I like it because there's no external buttons or battery, everything is really well hidden. Overall battery life started out great and enough for 4 or 5 hours of music playing, but now doesn't cope with more than 2,5 hours. If not playing music I just leave it off, when the phone rings I turn it on and within 2 seconds it connects and instantly picks up the call straight to the helmet, which is very nice. 

On some phone calls I get, if I'm slow country roads, people aren't aware I'm using anything other than my phone, which is perfect. On the motorway they assume I've got no signal, but that might be my kit has been a little abused. The noise never transmits to the other side, though.

Connectivity with other headsets has always been troublesome and I have trouble making myself understood too. Wouldn't recommend if that the intended use.

Overall I like how it doesn't protrude from the helmet, but wouldn't really recommend it more than any other I haven't tested. The buttons next to my left eye and the little mic are all you can see from the outside, which I really like.

IMG_8439.thumb.jpeg.ca3310ebfe8048c2313e213cd58e780f.jpeg

Even though I don't particularly rate my option, I will continue to use intercoms on my next helmets. 

• Like 1

I've used the Cardo units for about 3 years now - they work very nicely for phone, gps instructions, etc. Music is okay when you're at slow speeds but kinda sucks over 70 mph. Not a lot of bass , either.

As far as talking to others, it works well up to about 80 mph on my Super Tenere (short windshield) and better on the Goldwing.

Be sure to get the newer "Edge" model as it detaches from the mount easier and is easier to charge while detached from the helmet.

2 hours ago, Earache said:

I've used the Cardo units for about 3 years now - they work very nicely for phone, gps instructions, etc. Music is okay when you're at slow speeds but kinda sucks over 70 mph. Not a lot of bass , either.

As far as talking to others, it works well up to about 80 mph on my Super Tenere (short windshield) and better on the Goldwing.

Be sure to get the newer "Edge" model as it detaches from the mount easier and is easier to charge while detached from the helmet.

The Cardo seems to have the accolades for sound quality if you get the JBL versions. 

My flip lid has an inbuilt system and it copes well with anything up to 80mph and anyone I speak to doesn't know that I'm on the bike unless I open the lid front.

Battery life even after 3 years is decent enough for a 4 hour ride before it needs charging. 

For 180 quid I've no complaints 

It does audio, voice command and the buttons on the side are easy to use even with winter gloves on. 

3 hours ago, Buckster said:

The Cardo seems to have the accolades for sound quality if you get the JBL versions. 

That's the one I have - it's okay but not great at speed.

34 minutes ago, Earache said:

That's the one I have - it's okay but not great at speed.

Not a problem on a Harley, the bike tops out at 15mph.

• Haha 3

i got senna , just use it with sat nav now , works well enough, my dad used to use his for phone calls .

you'd probably only need one with the lowest distance range   if you dont want to use it for talking to a mate on his bike with one while riding ... 

16 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I'm thinking of the Spirit HD.

I think that one glues onto the helmet in a permanent fashion rather than using the removeable brackets that the others have. It's easy to remove the unit for charging, so that's good. Looks to have shorter range which you don't care about if you're going to use it for just yourself.

Should be a good piece of kit.

• Like 1

I have a  Sena 10S, it's the only one I've had since a wired one in 1984 so nothing to compare it with.

When using it with ear plugs I sometimes have trouble hearing people on the phone at 70mph+ so slow down a little to carry on the conversation. Without ear plugs it's fine though. People talking to me don't seem to notice I'm riding so microphone is good. It lasts forever between charging and the two times it has warned me that the battery was low, it still functioned for another day before I charged it. I've only had it since July 22, hence only charging it a few times. 

As an intercom it is better, clear as crystal up to 80mph if the other person is within sight. It may work at even higher speeds but I've not spoken to anyone at that speed to know.

• Like 1

People saying that they use them for phone calls is exactly the reason while I'll never have an intercom.  When I'm out on my bike the last thing I want to hear is some twat chatting away inside my helmet :classic_laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

People saying that they use them for phone calls is exactly the reason while I'll never have an intercom.  When I'm out on my bike the last thing I want to hear is some twat chatting away inside my helmet :classic_laugh:

I already hear that, I just don’t miss out on work calls too

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Same here!

14 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

music or phone calls ,why... i dont get it while riding.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Right, it’s way better to sit at home whining that you have to be on call.

I can't log in to a server via SSH when I'm riding a bike! 

I have a Cardo, works very well for sat nav, music etc. Not really tried it on bike to bike.

It mounts to the outside of the helmet and is easy to detach to charge. Buttons are fiddly with gloves to the point where if I press the wrong thing and stuff it up I have to stop to get sat nav working again. Does have voice control but I’m to inept to use that. 

• Like 3