Phone mount

Saul

Any sage like advice, I want a phone mount to go on the CB's bars.  I have an  iphone 12 so guess vibes are an issue.   Just want something easy to use that will take the phone in a case so I can use it for nav.    Not that worried about weather protection as I don't envisage leaving the phone out in the pissing rain.   

• Like 2

I wouldn’t take the chance with a phone like that, I have at least three mates that have destroyed phones with the vibes.

Buy an older one on eBay to use on the bike 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Any sage like advice, I want a phone mount to go on the CB's bars.  I have an  iphone 12 so guess vibes are an issue.   Just want something easy to use that will take the phone in a case so I can use it for nav.    Not that worried about weather protection as I don't envisage leaving the phone out in the pissing rain.   

I've been using quad lock for a while now, and love it. Since 2019 my phones are there most of the time I'm on the bike except a few times in too extreme sunshine and heat, and too extreme cold or whatever, and had no problems at all. Changed to a different phone and bought the case the same day. Probably will never buy a phone if there's no case available for it, don't bother with the generic attachment thing that you glue to the back of the phone as it's shit. 

I accept that batteries don't last as long as they would if you sheltered them from the sun, and that there is a chance of the camera going weird from vibrations, but the convenience of having the screen right there to see who is calling, and preview messages and emails arriving instead of (like before) stopping the bike to go see them and realizing it's not worth the stop, and the easy and secure attachment. I love it, although the mount + vibration dampener + case combination aren't cheap.

The case also does a very good job of protecting the phone for normal non motorcycle use, but it is a little bulky if you compare them to those streamlined ones.

I also hate GPS mounts and clutter like that, with no phone on the attachment is really neat and isn't an eye sore.

IMG_1009.thumb.jpeg.49850a63c3fc6587045d36e3d6345168.jpeg

• Like 4

Quadlock with the anti vibration attachment. I won’t use anything other than Quadlock, I’ve been using them for years.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I wouldn’t take the chance with a phone like that, I have at least three mates that have destroyed phones with the vibes.

Are you absolutely sure about that Bob 

You got three mates? 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Cool that's good to know.  I have a second phone, older iphone, that is one of the kids cast off.  I always take a second phone to work as I have many access codes for different bases that I am not suppose to write down so I keep them in my phone, I am paranoid that a phone issue could leave me unable to work, so I carry a second phone, my daughter calls it my burner phone.  🤣  That could be a good candidate to set up as a nav phone for my bike, as I always take it with me for work so I am used to carrying two.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Saul said:

Cool that's good to know.  I have a second phone, older iphone, that is one of the kids cast off.  I always take a second phone to work as I have many access codes for different bases that I am not suppose to write down so I keep them in my phone, I am paranoid that a phone issue could leave me unable to work, so I carry a second phone, my daughter calls it my burner phone.  🤣  That could be a good candidate to set up as a nav phone for my bike, as I always take it with me for work so I am used to carrying two.  

That’s why they do vibration isolators.

1 minute ago, Nute said:

Is it just iPhones which are destroyed by vibration or is it advisable to have some sort of isolation for all phones? 

It's the camera stabilizers and zoom things that get broken by vibration, so I would say all of them.

Although, surely the kind of bike and engine and riding must affect it?

• Like 3

A mate of mine bought a cheap-ish Chinese phone (Blackview I think?) which is billed as a rugged phone. He uses it on his motorbike and e-mountain bike because the battery is so much longer lasting than his iPhone and, with the quad lock damper device, he’s not had any problems with vibration damage.

• Like 2

On 02/03/2023 at 11:12, Buckster said:

Quadlock with the anti vibration attachment. I won’t use anything other than Quadlock, I’ve been using them for years.

And with the amount of vibration he gets on the tractor I'd say you're cb will be fine for vibration damping 

• Haha 2

My phone stays in my pocket. In case of an accident I want it with me and not attached to the bike. 2nd hand sat navs aren’t expensive.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Motobiker said:

My phone stays in my pocket. In case of an accident I want it with me and not attached to the bike. 2nd hand sat navs aren’t expensive.

I can see the sense in that but I always have two phones as I explained above,  I also have two redundant Iphone 8+'s, a 7, a 6s and a SE.   So already have several candidates to use for nav so that I can keep my good one in my pocket.   

• Like 1

Got the Quadlock on my bike.   Quite impressed with it, expensive but well made.   Still waiting for the damper but the lock itself holds the phone well.  I am looking forward to using it.  

9A491E48-87EF-40AA-A262-F8CC96F9CA98.thumb.jpeg.948eb1e2b56264dc4ec04f8392e2f47b.jpeg86AB3115-D8A2-400F-A40B-C3330F98DDC3.thumb.jpeg.3d68a3dd5fe32937721296cd66a4eddb.jpeg4AD9D2F4-B5D0-4F9D-9799-E56EE9CE7F44.thumb.jpeg.a0cce47b6c6a98c348ca7aa4bd46f072.jpeg

• Like 4