CB500F Main stand spring

Saul

I am fitting a centre stand but just cannot get the spring on.     I am just not able to stretch it far enough to get it on.    I have tried loads of different levers but just can’t get it over.   I have also tried putting coins in the coils to lengthen it but I am still 20mm short of getting it over.    
I am starting to think I have the wrong size spring.     
Now I will confess it is not a genuine Honda stand so I am getting pay back for being a tight ass but any constructive advice would be appreciated.  I have attached a photo but I don’t think the perspective helps.   The spring is about 20mm short of going over it’s tang.    

77EBEA43-5991-4BFE-BF2F-998C1423DCFE.jpeg

F322804E-F112-4F4F-99EF-083ACA01AEF8.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Have you tried it like this @Saul?

I have mate from every angle with ever screwdriver and lever I own.  I have come to the conclusion the spring is just too short.  I have a mate with the same bike with a main stand so I am going to have a look at his.    May just order a Honda spring.  

• Like 2

I didn't know we had this forum till Pete's comment on the other thread? It didn't come up when I hit the new post button.

Anyway, another thing you can try is to fit the spring before you fit the stand if that makes sense, give you a bit more leverage fighting the stand rather then an evil pointy ended spring.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Anyway, another thing you can try is to fit the spring before you fit the stand if that makes sense, give you a bit more leverage fighting the stand rather then an evil pointy ended spring.

That's the way I would do it, sometimes it's then a bit of a faff trying to get the bolts in after but it usualy works out better doing it that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Have you tried it like this @Saul?

I have mate from every angle with ever screwdriver and lever I own.  I have come to the conclusion the spring is just too short.  I have a mate with the same bike with a main stand so I am going to have a look at his.    May just order a Honda spring.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

That's the way I would do it, sometimes it's then a bit of a faff trying to get the bolts in after but it usualy works out better doing it that way.

I did try that mate, the stand has a long pivot that goes through a tube on the frame then you bolt the pivot in.   It difficult enough to get the pivot through on its own there is no chance when under tension.  The spring is just to short or has to much tension, I tried the coin trick and that only got me within 20 to 25mm.  I am pretty strong and I just can't get it on, even used my best profane words and it just won't go.      I am going to buy another spring.  

B16BD53C-F640-48ED-B1C7-17401AA881E5.jpeg

5F5B08D8-F4F1-423C-B64B-43FC2A0187FC.jpeg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Saul said:

I did try that mate, the stand has a long pivot that goes through a tube on the frame then you bolt the pivot in.   It difficult enough to get the pivot through on its own there is no chance when under tension.  The spring is just to short or has to much tension, I tried the coin trick and that only got me within 20 to 25mm.  I am pretty strong and I just can't get it on, even used my best profane words and it just won't go.      I am going to buy another spring.  

B16BD53C-F640-48ED-B1C7-17401AA881E5.jpeg

5F5B08D8-F4F1-423C-B64B-43FC2A0187FC.jpeg

If you can afford it, pound coins are thicker, there's easily a good 20 quid needed though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 22/02/2023 at 12:33, Saul said:

I am fitting a centre stand but just cannot get the spring on.     I am just not able to stretch it far enough to get it on.    I have tried loads of different levers but just can’t get it over.   I have also tried putting coins in the coils to lengthen it but I am still 20mm short of getting it over.    
I am starting to think I have the wrong size spring.     
Now I will confess it is not a genuine Honda stand so I am getting pay back for being a tight ass but any constructive advice would be appreciated.  I have attached a photo but I don’t think the perspective helps.   The spring is about 20mm short of going over it’s tang.    

77EBEA43-5991-4BFE-BF2F-998C1423DCFE.jpeg

F322804E-F112-4F4F-99EF-083ACA01AEF8.jpeg

That looks way too short, are you sure the upper attachment point is correct?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Buckster said:

That looks way too short, are you sure the upper attachment point is correct?

Yes I have checked, I am convinced it is the wrong spring.   I have ordered a longer one so all should be good when that gets here.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Saul said:

Yes I have checked, I am convinced it is the wrong spring.   I have ordered a longer one so all should be good when that gets here.  

I found some fitting instructions for the SW Motech stand HERE it looks like the spring attaches higher up on the actual stand than on the one you have, it says there is an original spring hanger on the frame already.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Did the chinky's copy the SW Motech item, if so that could be your answer.

You are right it is a chinky copy, so I sort of asked for some issues.  I notice the stand on SW Motech has two lighter weight springs on it.  I see how I get on with the new spring I ordered as the stand fits well and works its just that fecking spring that came with it is to short.  

• Like 3

Went up to look at my mates CB with a Honda main stand.   Took a couple of photos and measured the spring.  185mm with the stand up.    3mm wire used.  But he did give me a spare spring he had, not specifically a Honda one but it may work, if it doesn’t I have found a website where I can order a stainless spring.  F5653ECA-A01E-43EF-ABAA-8130E5297C97.thumb.jpeg.81932352207ba359b84b9f17f8e2cf69.jpeg55F45D6F-FFFE-492D-BB7E-1F187B707F29.thumb.jpeg.f92a3088a62e64fd3b71a033764df48f.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Buckster said:

@Saul did you get this sorted?

Not yet, I was given a spring by a mate (1.5mm buy 145mm) and I got the stand on again last Friday and tried it but it was too weak to hold the stand up.   Gonna order a spring the slightly  bigger  but made with thicker wire.   I have found a place that stocks all sorts of springs for industrial applications so I should be able to order exactly what I need.  Honda dealer would only supply the main stand kit completely for £190, lot of money for just a spring.  

On my mates bike the spring in its shortest position on the bike with the stand up was 185mm and made of 3mm wire.   Now I am guesstimating that if I order a stainless steel spring 30mm shorter I should be in the ballpark.  But I will have to go back to the website and check the parameters needed to order one.   The steel spring that came with the stand was 145mm x 3mm but there was just next to no give in it, short of using a trolley jack I couldn't stretch it in any way, and that was bloody sketchy.      

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 13/03/2023 at 17:39, Saul said:

Not yet, I was given a spring by a mate (1.5mm buy 145mm) and I got the stand on again last Friday and tried it but it was too weak to hold the stand up.   Gonna order a spring the slightly  bigger  but made with thicker wire.   I have found a place that stocks all sorts of springs for industrial applications so I should be able to order exactly what I need.  Honda dealer would only supply the main stand kit completely for £190, lot of money for just a spring.  

On my mates bike the spring in its shortest position on the bike with the stand up was 185mm and made of 3mm wire.   Now I am guesstimating that if I order a stainless steel spring 30mm shorter I should be in the ballpark.  But I will have to go back to the website and check the parameters needed to order one.   The steel spring that came with the stand was 145mm x 3mm but there was just next to no give in it, short of using a trolley jack I couldn't stretch it in any way, and that was bloody sketchy.      

If you over stretch a spring you will end up wrecking it or you could have it break will you a riding which could bring things to an abrupt end. Not worth it.

2 minutes ago, Buckster said:

If you over stretch a spring you will end up wrecking it or you could have it break will you a riding which could bring things to an abrupt end. Not worth it.

Don't worry I have a healthy respect for springs, fecking dangerous bastards otherwise.