Cool bikes you saw on the street

Pedro

7 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Shame though. When's it coming in?

Don't you have to get your vehicle emissions checked then?

Considering the state of cars in the uk I don’t think it works.

Portugal has announced the start of test a few times, the test centers have been built but it just seems to be delayed from year to year. It is a farse though, as they’ll not include the smaller bikes which are the biggest polluters and the worst kept bikes. Here if police stops you they can fine and impound your papers if you’ve got a modded bike, no catalyst deletes or small plates or whatever, the inspections are just a business lobby being pushed by the EU.

Plenty of illegal bikes disregarded by the police, so far, it’s not really being chased.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Seaside neglected bike, no piece of it is not really very corroded. Zoom in

ACCEDD36-531B-45BF-9F47-54DA8A19FC75.thumb.jpeg.7923fde352760c8e12d7dffe81732e01.jpeg

There are lots of examples like that in UK as well @Pedro.  Youngsters use them all through winter and never wash them.  I bought one that was in much better condition but the engine had gone pop as the youngster didn't know that he had to put oil in it .

I gave him £330 for it, a s/h engine off ebay was £450 and after checking it over and getting a new MOT I sold it for £1450.  I was happy as I made £600 on it and there are others out there now that you can make a few quid on now but I can't be arsed nowadays 🤗

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Considering the state of cars in the uk I don’t think it works.

Portugal has announced the start of test a few times, the test centers have been built but it just seems to be delayed from year to year. It is a farse though, as they’ll not include the smaller bikes which are the biggest polluters and the worst kept bikes. Here if police stops you they can fine and impound your papers if you’ve got a modded bike, no catalyst deletes or small plates or whatever, the inspections are just a business lobby being pushed by the EU.

Plenty of illegal bikes disregarded by the police, so far, it’s not really being chased.

I dunno I think a lot of the rust bucket cars of yesteryear are long gone. 

I remember I used to see bangers all over the place, it's a rarish sight now, you notice one when you see it rather than it being the norm and you not paying it any mind. 

• Like 1

I remember the first time I went to Napoli in 1992 , I was shocked at the state of some of the cars there at the time.  I even saw a car with no glass in it at all and cars with dents in every panel were not an umcommon sight .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I remember the first time I went to Napoli in 1992 , I was shocked at the state of some of the cars there at the time.  I even saw a car with no glass in it at all and cars with dents in every panel were not an umcommon sight .

I was shocked by the state of the cars in Milan (2017) but I put that down to the unforgiving wonky cobbles they spend a lot of time on. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The MOT over here is now a very involved process, drums up muchos moola for garages. 

40 years ago I could order my Pass certificate over the phone!

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

40 years ago I could order my Pass certificate over the phone!

I still know a few places like that but they cost more than the legit ones and there's not much to get a bike through the MOT so i don't see the point 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

There are lots of examples like that in UK as well @Pedro.  Youngsters use them all through winter and never wash them.  I bought one that was in much better condition but the engine had gone pop as the youngster didn't know that he had to put oil in it .

I gave him £330 for it, a s/h engine off ebay was £450 and after checking it over and getting a new MOT I sold it for £1450.  I was happy as I made £600 on it and there are others out there now that you can make a few quid on now but I can't be arsed nowadays 🤗

I am trying (but failing miserably) to find my granddaughter a scoot at a reasonable price.

Looked on Marketplace and the amount of......"non runner"..."no logbook"..."engine needs attention"...."no MOT".....and most look like they have been dragged out of the North Sea with the amount of rust and corrosion on them.......and they still want stupid money for them. 😡 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Clive said:

I am trying (but failing miserably) to find my granddaughter a scoot at a reasonable price.

Looked on Marketplace and the amount of......"non runner"..."no logbook"..."engine needs attention"...."no MOT".....and most look like they have been dragged out of the North Sea with the amount of rust and corrosion on them.......and they still want stupid money for them. 😡 

All the crap not fit for autotrader is going to end up on there though isnt it.

• Like 1

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

All the crap not fit for autotrader is going to end up on there though isnt it.

There are the occasional good looking ones that the ad read OK, but most seem to be at the other end of the country.

Wish she could afford a new scoot,  even a Lexmoto.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Saul said:

R90/6.  Very cool bike.   

Indeed. I loved how it started easily and ticked over perfectly. Current owner bought it 40 years ago already with the current rust and dents in place. It's covered 30000km. 

Lovely thing.

Edit: sorry, I thought you wrote R60. The R90 although cool isn't really my thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

They are cooooel!

Wanting one led me to my first big bike the r9T. Significantly easier on the maintenance score 😂

My mechanic friend has a couple of clients that ride R60s like that all over the place, motorways and whatever, they clock out at an indicated 160kmh (substantially lower real speed you would assume) with real world practicality as long as you don't expect them to brake properly.

• Like 2

On 25/02/2023 at 11:56, Clive said:

I went through a similar thing with my Son last August.  In the end, for us, the best option was to buy a new Sym Orbit 125.  Everything we looked at was knackered with at least one thing broken.   The Sym isn't fantastic quality but has proved reliable so far and has survived my son coming off twice.    To be honest it's ok to ride, would never be my choice but it is functional transport, what it will be like when its 3 years old will be interesting.  🙄  Twas £2.5k but a decent Honda was £1K more.  I think you will be lucky to find a decent second hand twist and go for reasonable money just by the owner profile.    Geared bikes are a different matter or so I observed.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Saul said:

I went through a similar thing with my Son last August.  In the end, for us, the best option was to buy a new Sym Orbit 125.  Everything we looked at was knackered with at least one thing broken.   The Sym isn't fantastic quality but has proved reliable so far and has survived my son coming off twice.    To be honest it's ok to ride, would never be my choice but it is functional transport, what it will be like when its 3 years old will be interesting.  🙄  Twas £2.5k but a decent Honda was £1K more.  I think you will be lucky to find a decent second hand twist and go for reasonable money just by the owner profile.    Geared bikes are a different matter or so I observed.  

👍...Granddaughter has ordered a new Peugeot Tweet 125cc....she was supposed to collect it next week, but with her CBT being cancelled (she should have done it last Thursday) till the middle of April things are on hold till then.

It's going to live a bit of a rough life, it will be stood on her rear yard under a bike cover.

I will offer to give it a coating of ACF, but I don't expect she will spend much time cleaning it,  if her pushbike is anything to go by it will just get a wash when it rains. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Clive said:

👍...Granddaughter has ordered a new Peugeot Tweet 125cc....she was supposed to collect it next week, but with her CBT being cancelled (she should have done it last Thursday) till the middle of April things are on hold till then.

It's going to live a bit of a rough life, it will be stood on her rear yard under a bike cover.

I will offer to give it a coating of ACF, but I don't expect she will spend much time cleaning it,  if her pushbike is anything to go by it will just get a wash when it rains. 😂 

And that’s the attitude of looking after a bike.. that will end up on market place in  a coupe of years …  fucked 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Clive said:

They're actually SYM's aren't they?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Six30 said:

And that’s the attitude of looking after a bike.. that will end up on market place in  a coupe of years …  fucked 

I don't know over what period her finance is for the Pushite,  just hope it's still running and being ridden when the last payment is paid........then it will go on Marketplace no doubt. 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2