Harsh Reality

Saul

13 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

@Saul i thought you'd fitted these

I do actually have a set of Oxford Muffs sitting on the shelf I bought for another bike and never fitted.   It could be their time 🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I can assure you it does because I wanted a furry hand muff (the victorian type for keeping your hands warm not the dirt that's going through most people on heres minds) and the results were eye popping without a single hand warmer in sight. 

And that was before Six messed with my algorithms 😆

So you searched “furry muff”?

• Haha 2

I don't know how much electricity is free on the RE but heated grips with said muffs are great. Oxford grips have served me well over the years, i have the top of the range ones at the time i bought them on my 650 which are hot and the bottom of the range ones on my Beta as it doesn't produce much electricity but still produce a comfy heat 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I don't know how much electricity is free on the RE but heated grips with said muffs are great.

I second what Sir F says, the combination of heated grips and bay muffs is the ultimate solution for hands.   I managed for years with winter gloves and  the standard handguards on the transalp ( I wasn't commuting every day though) but the Tiger had heated grips ( which is good cos the handguards are not as good as the old square transalp ones were at keeping the wind and rain off) and when I rode down the the Mille Vaches winter rally a couple of years ago I added bar muffs, (cheap ones from Lidl) and rode through some of the worst weather I have ever faced on a bike with lovely warm hands.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yep

Muff

Hand muff

Furry muff

Furry hand muff

and worse of all

Old fashioned muff

Don't recommend it. 

Once Mr Slowly see your search history he'll be wondering if you've gone to bat for the other team :classic_unsure:

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, MooN said:

I second what Sir F says, the combination of heated grips and bay muffs is the ultimate solution for hands.   I managed for years with winter gloves and  the standard handguards on the transalp ( I wasn't commuting every day though) but the Tiger had heated grips ( which is good cos the handguards are not as good as the old square transalp ones were at keeping the wind and rain off) and when I rode down the the Mille Vaches winter rally a couple of years ago I added bar muffs, (cheap ones from Lidl) and rode through some of the worst weather I have ever faced on a bike with lovely warm hands.  

Tis true, my muffs will be going on the Donkey soon 👍

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I don't know how much electricity is free on the RE but heated grips with said muffs are great. Oxford grips have served me well over the years, i have the top of the range ones at the time i bought them on my 650 which are hot and the bottom of the range ones on my Beta as it doesn't produce much electricity but still produce a comfy heat 

I have heated grips on my Himalayan and that's plenty, no guards or muffs needed. 

• Like 3

Just now, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes but you are not commuting in all weathers now are you 😉 

True true but you know it did drop down to 17 degrees in Spain one day 😂

I have taken the Himalayan off road in February in fog n rain, got soaking wet and freezing cold.. apart from my hands that were toasty. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I have taken the Himalayan off road in February in fog n rain, got soaking wet and freezing cold.. apart from my hands that were toasty. 

Muffs keep your hands dry as well as warm, the handlebar muffs that is :littleguy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I really want to say something about wind chill and the fact that the himalayan doesn't actually go fast enough to generate any but that would be churlish, so I won't 😇

But winchill is much less of a fator if you're off road, simply due to the lower speed compared to on road use. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MooN said:

I really want to say something about wind chill and the fact that the himalayan doesn't actually go fast enough to generate any but that would be churlish, so I won't 😇

But winchill is much less of a fator if you're off road, simply due to the lower speed compared to on road use. 

I resisted saying the same thing so I guess it hasn't been said twice now 😆

That is true but I have only heated grips on all my bikes and when I doggedly committed to riding everywhere through the winter on a bike they were enough used with good gloves. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, skyrider said:

keep yer pinkies warm on a cold day 👌

Well I did eventually get not one but two and they have served their purpose brilliantly.

It's not considered polite to stand with your hands in your pockets on some occasions and it was going to be so cold no formal wear glove would cut it but stand there with your hands in a victorian style furry muff well thats more than acceptable. 

Yes I'm aware that sentence is laden with possibilities 😆

• Haha 4

Que the most awkward selfie ever.  Went up to Damerells and got myself some proper lined trousers for the winter.  I got Richa's so they match and attach to my Jacket.   Nice and warm riding home from the dealership.     Just gotta fit the Oxford Muffs tomorrow and I should be set for the winter now.

329186805_IMG_82732.thumb.jpg.bfb7421afd15d396fdfd2d941eef381f.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Saul said:

Que the most awkward selfie ever.  Went up to Damerells and got myself some proper lined trousers for the winter.  I got Richa's so they match and attach to my Jacket.   Nice and warm riding home from the dealership.     Just gotta fit the Oxford Muffs tomorrow and I should be set for the winter now.

IMG_8272.jpg

Gay.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Saul said:

IMG_8272.jpg

Richa is pretty decent stuff from what I've heard.

• Like 2