Your Day Today!

XTreme

14 minutes ago, DesmoDog said:

... hmm... a bronze tail light... that'd set it apart in a crowd I suppose. 

Lots of those on old HD's. It's a look - not necessarily a good look though.

Do they turn green with patina over time?

bronze lite.jpg

6 minutes ago, Earache said:

Lots of those on old HD's. It's a look - not necessarily a good look though.

Do they turn green with patina over time?

bronze lite.jpg

I should have figured the Harley crowd was doing it. I'd prefer the look of raw aluminum over green bronze... and there's no way I'm constantly polishing the damn thing to keep it shiny. I've got better things to rub out. 

Wait, that didn't sound right...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, DesmoDog said:

I should have figured the Harley crowd was doing it. I'd prefer the look of raw aluminum over green bronze... and there's no way I'm constantly polishing the damn thing to keep it shiny. I've got better things to rub out. 

No. No it didn't. At all.

I'll see if I can find the pics from that HD show I went to in Laconia. Guy had bronze / brass lights, fuel petcock, fittings, etc all over his bike.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Earache said:

No. No it didn't. At all.

I'll see if I can find the pics from that HD show I went to in Laconia. Guy had bronze / brass lights, fuel petcock, fittings, etc all over his bike.

When I cleaned up the spoke nipples it took the plating off, so they're brass now. They're small so it's pretty subtle though. When I rebuild the engine some of the fittings will receive the same treatement, so there will be brass parts sprinkled around on it here and there. But probably not the tail light. 

IMG_4773.JPG

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, DesmoDog said:

The ideal case would be to print it out of wax and use that for a pattern to have it cast out of aluminum. There are filaments available intended for last wax casting but that would probably take another redesign or three to make it better suited for the task. I thought about trying that at home (my dad sandcast some things for me back when I was a little guy, he taught metal shop in school) but will probably try to find an artist type to do the actual casting. But if I do that it'll probably come back to me in bronze... hmm... a bronze tail light... that'd set it apart in a crowd I suppose. 

This is interesting. It didn't cross my mind about casting from a 3D print doh!

Could you get it cast in bronze and plated?

9 hours ago, DesmoDog said:

I do have a camera on it, but it's only to monitor what's going on. I have pretty much given up on doing timelapses since I never did anything with them anyway. That said here are a couple I did when it was set up to do it automatically - obviously I didn't optimize anything to make them look good. There are a ton of choices to make it look  different, you can freeze the extruder so it looks like it's just moving straight up, or move it off to the side entirely, or let it move around, or a bunch of other crap. Some of them have an effect on the quality of the print so my default is now "off".  Also the webcam I use sucks (doesn't handle anything less than ideal lighting very well, doesn't auto focus, etc) and the position of the camera isn't great for this sort of thing. I guess the second one is recent, I updated some software and reset some defaults, but it's been turned off again already. 

http://teamyikes.com/Hardtail/06_Phil_A_Ment_20210115052430.mp4

http://teamyikes.com/Hardtail/Tail Light Housing v4.aw_20230107011406.mp4

Anywhos... last week I was working on tail lights. The light I wanted to use was made for a larger fender, it didn't fit the radii of the smaller fender very well so I printed an adapter to make it fit. I thought I liked it but every time I left it a while and came back I decided I didn't like it after all and tried to change it. I've printed so many of them in so many materials and designs it's embarrassing. I finally accepted it wasn't going to work and I may as well do the entire light. It will require sanding and painting but should work. I started out thinking I'd use an incandescent bulb because an LED would look out of place on the bike it's going on, then decided to use an LED panel I had for another light/bike. With an LED I can go smaller and won't have to deal with heat. Here's a family shot of the changes that were made long the way. 

I forgot, this place doesn't let me hotlink photos from my website cuz it's not https... so the first pic is the family of tail lights. Second is the stl file (digital model basically) for the "final" version. Last pic is the earliest version sitting on the fender. This week's project is a chain guard. It's too long to fit the printer bed so it needs to be done in pieces. I'm on the third iteration now and as per usual, as soon as I start printing it I think of something I want to change. It's now 3;20 am here and the shim I printed to mimic the latest change I want to make just finished printing so the last piece that took two hours to print isn't for naught... no pictures of any of that stuff. It's still ugly. It will be a while before that one's done, each change so far has involved starting over from the beginning, not minor tweaks. 

TailLight_7022.JPG

TailLight2.jpg

TailLight_6997.JPG

So clever this new tech. I guess you can knock up anything that'll fit within the size of the table.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Six30 said:

Finished my truck … was a Tesco delivery van ,… I’ll do another once this sells 

739C2F81-09F1-42C7-8811-9875349BD6EB.jpeg

Pretty sweet looking! I'd love to have a truck like that set to haul bikes - something I could get the Wing onto.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Earache said:

Pretty sweet looking! I'd love to have a truck like that set to haul bikes - something I could get the Wing onto.

You'll be after a rigid 32t truck then 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, busabeast said:

You'll be after a rigid 32t truck then 

Nah, my pickup truck with an 8' bed would hold the wing, it's just too tall for me to get it up in there. A lower bed height would be perfect for hauling it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

This is interesting. It didn't cross my mind about casting from a 3D print doh!

Could you get it cast in bronze and plated?

In theory I could, in practie I wouldn't. Plating is expensive so I'm avoiding it on this project. 

There is also at least one place that 3D prints the sand mold itself but that's beyond what I can do here. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, DesmoDog said:

In theory I could, in practie I wouldn't. Plating is expensive so I'm avoiding it on this project. 

There is also at least one place that 3D prints the sand mold itself but that's beyond what I can do here. 

Sounds like the amount of time n money on printing plastic would make it cheap 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DesmoDog said:

no try again

3 hours ago, DesmoDog said:

When I cleaned up the spoke nipples it took the plating off, so they're brass now. They're small so it's pretty subtle though. When I rebuild the engine some of the fittings will receive the same treatement, so there will be brass parts sprinkled around on it here and there. But probably not the tail light. 

IMG_4773.JPG

is that a twin leading shoe

1 hour ago, busabeast said:

So my day today consisted of telling nick the prick where to go and accepting a job as self employed hgv trade plate driver starting tomorrow morning 

will you be at the side of the road with your thumb up trying to hitch a lift after a drop off

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

is that a twin leading shoe

No but the one on my other old Ducati project is. (shown below)

That reminds me though. I do have some Honda parts I could put in there that would make it a twin leading shoe brake... I may do that before it's all said and done. 

post6.jpg

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, DesmoDog said:

That reminds me though. I do have some Honda parts I could put in there that would make it a twin leading shoe brake... I may do that before it's all said and done. 

post6.jpg

Dude, are you waiting for a writen invitation from @Earache before you start a thread about your amazing work?

Just do it, it’s great! 

do it jewish GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, DesmoDog said:

post6.jpg

do you remember the leading shoe brakes on the old yamaha race bikes , i was looking in a magazine a while ago if you were to buy one at the time of reading the article £4000

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1