MOT

Specs

This morning I braved the elements and took my bike over to Cheltenham for its annual service and MOT. It also needed an inspection of the final drive, a recall warranty issue. My brain fade made me leave the motorway a junction early but it was a pleasant enough detour. 

Bike dropped off and given a BMW S1000XR courtesy bike. Fortunately the wind had been behind me heading east and the only place I noticed it was on the New Severn Bridge, so I had a bit of a shock when I realised how blowy it was. 

Plan was to take the A40 to Brecon and then A470 home. Diversions the other side of Gloucester so had to go through the Forest of Dean up to Monmouth. At some point I noticed some unsettling noises from the bike so I stopped for a look. Chain was pretty slack so I convinced myself that it was the problem and it would be ok! Getting off I painfully realised that the bike’s ergonomics didn’t suit me, nowhere near as comfortable as the GS. The seat wasn’t very comfortable, it’s sort of dished, and pushed me forward making my hips ache. You sort of sit in the bike - all a bit strange. A hell of a job getting off and took me a while to loosen up before walking about. Not good. 

The engine is a peach though. Revs to about 11k rpm and once past about 6k rpm it takes off dramatically. My arm sockets are still aching from hanging on. Drop down to 3rd or 4th gear at about 50mph, blast past three cars, glance down and shit myself when I see the speed. Brilliant brakes so easy enough to slow down. 😄 

Had rain and strong winds over the Beacons so not the best of conditions to enjoy it, and because of the aches and weather issues, no photos. 

Ok. I forgot! 😂

Tomorrow I do it all over again. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Specs said:

This morning I braved the elements and took my bike over to Cheltenham for its annual service and MOT. It also needed an inspection of the final drive, a recall warranty issue. My brain fade made me leave the motorway a junction early but it was a pleasant enough detour. 

Bike dropped off and given a BMW S1000XR courtesy bike. Fortunately the wind had been behind me heading east and the only place I noticed it was on the New Severn Bridge, so I had a bit of a shock when I realised how blowy it was. 

Plan was to take the A40 to Brecon and then A470 home. Diversions the other side of Gloucester so had to go through the Forest of Dean up to Monmouth. At some point I noticed some unsettling noises from the bike so I stopped for a look. Chain was pretty slack so I convinced myself that it was the problem and it would be ok! Getting off I painfully realised that the bike’s ergonomics didn’t suit me, nowhere near as comfortable as the GS. The seat wasn’t very comfortable, it’s sort of dished, and pushed me forward making my hips ache. You sort of sit in the bike - all a bit strange. A hell of a job getting off and took me a while to loosen up before walking about. Not good. 

The engine is a peach though. Revs to about 11k rpm and once past about 6k rpm it takes off dramatically. My arm sockets are still aching from hanging on. Drop down to 3rd or 4th gear at about 50mph, blast past three cars, glance down and shit myself when I see the speed. Brilliant brakes so easy enough to slow down. 😄 

Had rain and strong winds over the Beacons so not the best of conditions to enjoy it, and because of the aches and weather issues, no photos. 

Ok. I forgot! 😂

Tomorrow I do it all over again. 

Is that where you bought the bike Alan?

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Is that where you bought the bike Alan?

No.  It was in Ryders Cardiff which closed. M & P have a dealership here now but I heard that they weren’t great. Cotswold Motorrad in Cheltenham or the place in Bristol were the two nearest dealers, and it’s a far more pleasant run to Cheltenham on a nice sunny day, and to date I have no complaints. 

• Like 3

Are they doing the drivetrain service while they ahve the bike?

I’m curious about trying out a XR, just for giggles. Talked to someone at Ducati about a ride in a fast Multistrada but they’re such douches my wallet froze on the thought of handing over any money to them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Specs said:

No.  It was in Ryders Cardiff which closed. M & P have a dealership here now but I heard that they weren’t great. Cotswold Motorrad in Cheltenham or the place in Bristol were the two nearest dealers, and it’s a far more pleasant run to Cheltenham on a nice sunny day, and to date I have no complaints. 

Dick Lovett (for folk not from round here yep thats their real name) BMW dealership in Bristol are known for being aholes for good reason. I used to ride to Dorchester rather than deal with them and I'm not alone in finding them arrogant pricks. Cheltenhams a much better bet. 

Dorchester has closed now and I was going to go for M&P but maybe not, what have you heard?

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

Are they doing the drivetrain service while they ahve the bike?

I’m curious about trying out a XR, just for giggles. Talked to someone at Ducati about a ride in a fast Multistrada but they’re such douches my wallet froze on the thought of handing over any money to them.

I hope that they’ve done it! They’re supposed to. I’ll see in a few hours when I pick it up. 

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Dick Lovett (for folk not from round here yep thats their real name) BMW dealership in Bristol are known for being aholes for good reason. I used to ride to Dorchester rather than deal with them and I'm not alone in finding them arrogant pricks. Cheltenhams a much better bet. 

Dorchester has closed now and I was going to go for M&P but maybe not, what have you heard?

Yes. The messed up a front spindle for me at Bristol when I had the K12GT. Said that it was already knackered. I’ve not been there since. 

I can’t remember what I heard about M & P but know that it was negative. Maybe mechanics not having been on BMW training courses, that sort of thing. 

• Like 2