A sort of ride report. A boring one 😆

Slowlycatchymonkey

The idea was to get the bikes to Spain quickly so we’d have time to get our stuff back from storage and the place set up ready before having to get back to work. Unfortunately Mr Slowlys shoulder wasn’t up to long rides so it was to be a straight down the country with 3 stop overs to minimise time on the bike. 

We left on Sunday morning, the weather was pretty good. Loaded up the Himalayan transfoming it into the something mess Pedro loved. Stopped at Exeter for fuel, there were bikers everywhere.

8F064003-5458-4EC4-8C93-DA4FAB5BD052.thumb.jpeg.8870ec9f55004a3b0ad13ec051668703.jpeg            F765E02F-5371-49F5-9FAE-F2EFE3971249.thumb.jpeg.1da7f8c0559bfb6a7cbaea8dd404e1cc.jpeg

Arrived at the ferry port disgruntled that in-spite of the service and MOT the clutch was very unhappy. It would not come out of 1st when stationary at all and it just didn’t feel right.
Wait looking at the ferry entrance for what seems like an eternity and no Mr Slowly. Start to fear somethings happened to him and decided to use stalk my family to check his whereabouts, I see he’s not too far away and finally he arrives saying he thinks his speedos broken because he hasn’t seen me since we got on the motorway. Not the journeys start I was after. 

D6C0E4CA-B8A4-4A6D-B527-EF7C047B037B.thumb.jpeg.8ed06ef5b0d28f1c7a2875e14722a5d5.jpeg

Board the ferry with so many other bikers it’s unbelievably packed, they parked us so tightly together wheels were overlapped and you had to climb over bikes to get out. No-one is impressed and I was glad it’s a couple of Enfields being clambered over and not something I’m precious about the paintwork on. 

The grump soon fades when we get to the cabin and see we have room to swing a cat and two nice French waiters posted outside our room. We have surprisingly powerful shower and pop down to the bar for a quick G&T then back to the room to break open the wine I’ve stowed in my voluminous cases. 

1D75C2C1-1576-43DF-8003-6424626CDF74.thumb.jpeg.e4618d27530cb3d0e03e74b942b83de5.jpeg          5F881293-7483-420D-AF97-45BBB40787D1.thumb.jpeg.8fae9887385089286f145ca3f297104a.jpeg
Goodbye grey skies. Hello bar. 

F0DD3E2D-6B9A-4CC6-A48D-253D6B6EDD71.thumb.jpeg.d0d0463c8fa461c0f8813134aa643d23.jpeg    

AA0785C7-D948-45AB-8207-ED9748AEAF54.thumb.jpeg.0bd97e75a1c69890f9cd17f1f3465a4c.jpeg
The next morning the skies of the northern Atlantic are improving and everything is a pleasant blue (although in this pic they look grey).

Breakfast is included and although I’m not a breakfast person I’m curious to see if the kitchen produces a good breakfast. It does not. Mr Slowlys is full English is so cold it cannot be eaten and has to go back. I ask if they have a menu with gluten free marked up to be told no sorry in that way that lets you know they are very far from sorry.
They can make me some gluten free toast (in the same grill they make the normal toast in) so I say no thanks. Mr Slowly intervened and says you have eggs, beans, tomatoes and bacon on here. They’re all gluten free surely. Yes they are he replies but the sausages aren’t. They then deliver my breakfast with the gluteny sausages and get the hump when I say the sausages have gluten in them. New barely warm just about passable (apart from the cold mushrooms) breakfast is delivered. I heard two other people ask if they had a gluten free menu and get the same treatment. 
I don’t expect to be catered for so I carry a lot of food with me but I am surprised on a boat that size with the number of people they feed to not bother. Usually this attitude comes from the chef who thinks he/she is some sort of creative genius and the public fuss making plebs who don’t understand. It’s an indication you’re in a place where it’s not safe to eat. 

0049DD28-3404-4A66-83D5-C476053C8D30.thumb.jpeg.f1f03ea91f652b00a3a49cc12a49fa01.jpeg

Anyhow the ambience was then further enhanced by a lairy man and his screaming coughing snotty kids. We’d bumped into them when we were going to the lift. He eyeballed Mr Slowly like he wanted a fight. Fortunately he didn’t catch Mr Slowly’s eye as he was busy examining the ferry map. 

We sat far away from them. An old couple asked to be reseated to get away from the noise. The waiter wanted to know why so lairy man heard and got very pissy, old guy said no offence but your kids are coughing and spluttering, I don’t want it and I can’t hear my wife, as they wandered away he said fuck off then you stupid old cunt. 

Well fair play to the old man he walked back and told him no to be so rude. Which if you saw the size of the lairy one who now had violence in his eyes you would have congratulated him on his bravery. Lairy guy said he was fucking sick of people telling him about his kids and this was the eighth time on this trip at which point the guy at the next table joined in and said stop being so unpleasant and if this was the eighth time then do something about your kids. This duo somehow deflated lairy and it was all resolved before Mr Slowly retuned from the loo which I was very grateful about cos that’s just the sort of thing that would wind him up and I don’t think it would have been pretty! 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

AA0785C7-D948-45AB-8207-ED9748AEAF54.thumb.jpeg.0bd97e75a1c69890f9cd17f1f3465a4c.jpeg
The next morning the skies of the northern Atlantic are improving and everything is a pleasant blue (although in this pic they look grey).

And that is why you need a filter to let others see what the camera is missing, not photoshop:littleguy:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I did think Sir Fallsalot would fix this with a filter 😆 

i did try a filter but not much difference, i sometimes take 4 or 5 photos of the same scene on different settings and pick the one i like what do you use to take a photo camera or phone

!cid_81022B91-B2D0-49CA-ACFB-571064917537.jpg.e4318bda1188125d498ec07bab5b4c4e.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The wife is forcing me to go on holiday next year and my  only condition is there be no kids there, People think because you have kids you must like kids well i tolerated my own but i fucking hate everyone else's :classic_laugh: 

I dearly love and enjoy the company of my children they make me laugh a lot, other peoples children I only like in very short bursts and definitely don’t want to holiday with or near the demanding little so n so’s. 

Unfortunately I had children between 6-10 years ahead of my friends and just like then they have no idea where I’m at. 
If I’m being completely honest I now find them boring and snobby. They still think life’s something you can win at by having the best car, most expensive holidays, fattest salary, biggest house and eating food from an artisan deli. 

Alright I confess I still like an artisan deli  but not cos I’m trying to win an imaginary competition 😂

I’ve found myself bothering less with them and more and more with my biker friends who are older women so don’t spend all their time talking about their kids. In fact I still don’t know for sure after 4 years of friendship who does or doesn’t have kids because we spend all our time talking about bikes, where we’re riding next or where we’d like to ride. They are also fairly straight talking no bullshit sorts so your not left guessing what they really think or want to do. 

Most refreshing and far more interesting than listening to how little Johnnys doing at school! 

Viva motociclismo!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Unfortunately Mr Slowlys shoulder wasn’t up to long rides

:classic_unsure:

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

He eyeballed Mr Slowly like he wanted a fight.

More fucking trash headed our way then?

Nice report though Caroline.......any shots travelling south through Spain?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I dearly love and enjoy the company of my children they make me laugh a lot, other peoples children I only like in very short bursts and definitely don’t want to holiday with or near the demanding little so n so’s. 

Unfortunately I had children between 6-10 years ahead of my friends and just like then they have no idea where I’m at. 
If I’m being completely honest I now find them boring and snobby. They still think life’s something you can win at by having the best car, most expensive holidays, fattest salary, biggest house and eating food from an artisan deli. 

Alright I confess I still like an artisan deli  but not cos I’m trying to win an imaginary competition 😂

I’ve found myself bothering less with them and more and more with my biker friends who are older women so don’t spend all their time talking about their kids. In fact I still don’t know for sure after 4 years of friendship who does or doesn’t have kids because we spend all our time talking about bikes, where we’re riding next or where we’d like to ride. They are also fairly straight talking no bullshit sorts so your not left guessing what they really think or want to do. 

Most refreshing and far more interesting than listening to how little Johnnys doing at school! 

Viva motociclismo!

Don't get me wrong i love my kids even if it don't sound like it LOL but would have been quite happy to have had none, The wife wanted kids so we had kids that's what you do as a couple, her group of friends changed as a result and she loved all the talking about each others kids with her new friends i just sat there with my brain running out my ears LOL.

I remember all the times i was annoyed by kids when i went away somewhere so I was very conscious of any noise they were making and would always try and sit away from people who didn't have kids if possible because of  how much i hated the noise. 
A particular time i remember being pissed off was when a woman was taking what looked like a new born baby on holiday, it screamed the place down on the plane at times and i overheard the mother saying she was taking the baby on holiday and made out it was all for her baby, all i could think was no your taking yourself on holiday and dragging the baby with you you selfish bitch the kid didn't care whether it was on holiday or not, I said to the wife there and then if we ever have kids we are not taking them on holiday until they are old enough to tell us if their hot or cold and we stuck to that. Another thing i hate is cheeky fucking kids as well LOL 

• Like 2

I make us up some lovely sarnies and tea from my food stash and we get packed up. The lift to the vehicle deck is broken and we’re on deck eight. It’s so bloody hot in the vehicle deck and the walk hasn’t helped. Some folk have sweat quite literally pouring down their faces.

A very round tubby shaped guy tries to squeeze between my bike and a leather embellishment on his clothing wraps itself around my indicator. He doesn’t look or stop and starts forcefully yanking his kutte, I shout woah woah woah, he ignores me so I grab the offending dangling thing on his kutte and yank him backwards shouting more loudly WOAH. Badass biker or not I’m not having him wrecking my bike. 

He still doesn’t look back and starts pulling again. Mr Slowly see’s me struggling with the dumbass and clambers in front of him saying mate MATE YOU HAVE TO STOP. He did because cos Mr Slowly is now in his way and I kept my indicator but bloody hell my hands now really hurt from holding onto that bowling ball!
I untangle him-  no apology, he didn’t even look back. I mutter to myself he’s an ignorant man. 

I start to fret that if my bike stalls while in gear I won’t be able to move it and I’ll block other people getting off the ferry. So I climb to the people I’d potentially block in and say I’m going to roll my bike back to the side and they should go around because I’ve developed a fault and need to get off last. 

Well it was only dumbkutte guy wasn’t it. I think he thought I’d come to tell him off. He looked fearful and then relieved.  Then offered to help with my bike. Which I politely declined as I’ve had one dumbass mechanic working on it already and could well do without another 😂 People are so strange. 

First stop Mr Slowlys favourite Motel nr Valladolid and he’s determined working speedo or not to lead us there!

03407DF4-A69F-4AF2-A35E-A9FA7380F5A1.jpeg.234f3a2df3d0192b1221a7796a714d95.jpeg

38845CC2-C3E2-484E-B4FE-1ECCB5210D94.jpeg.64b1d48315fda20997ed0643f0afdb62.jpeg

F2715A0B-CE59-4ECB-BF0A-063B23F748B2.thumb.jpeg.aa18ad9d1dbfd998f1e5f352e223b014.jpeg

I generally choose the accommodation based on the bike parking and this garage off your bedroom thing they do in Spain is excellent. Don’t have to fully unload your bike or carry your gear miles and can check your bike over easily out of the sun or rain 👍

Next morning we set off for Parla on the edge of Madrid. Again chosen for the parking. It’s warm and partially cloudy so the 25 degrees when riding feels good. 
A smiley photo before I left Emporio just for @Grasshopper 

03CCC1C0-BFE9-475F-9D75-98A28FF8C14A.thumb.jpeg.5531ea85471a64cb00786d2d17f6ff33.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I make us up some lovely sarnies and tea from my food stash and we get packed up. The lift to the vehicle deck is broken and we’re on deck eight. It’s so bloody hot in the vehicle deck and the walk hasn’t helped. Some folk have sweat quite literally pouring down their faces.

A very round tubby shaped guy tries to squeeze between my bike and a leather embellishment on his clothing wraps itself around my indicator. He doesn’t look or stop and starts forcefully yanking his kutte, I shout woah woah woah, he ignores me so I grab the offending dangling thing on his kutte and yank him backwards shouting more loudly WOAH. Badass biker or not I’m not having him wrecking my bike. 

He still doesn’t look back and starts pulling again. Mr Slowly see’s me struggling with the dumbass and clambers in front of him saying mate MATE YOU HAVE TO STOP. He did because cos Mr Slowly is now in his way and I kept my indicator but bloody hell my hands now really hurt from holding onto that bowling ball!
I untangle him-  no apology, he didn’t even look back. I mutter to myself he’s an ignorant man. 

I start to fret that if my bike stalls while in gear I won’t be able to move it and I’ll block other people getting off the ferry. So I climb to the people I’d potentially block in and say I’m going to roll my bike back to the side and they should go around because I’ve developed a fault and need to get off last. 

Well it was only dumbkutte guy wasn’t it. I think he thought I’d come to tell him off. He looked fearful and then relieved.  Then offered to help with my bike. Which I politely declined as I’ve already had one dumbass mechanic working on it already and could well do without another 😂 People are so strange. 

First stop Mr Slowlys favourite Motel nr Valladolid and he’s determined working speedo or not to lead us there!

03407DF4-A69F-4AF2-A35E-A9FA7380F5A1.jpeg.234f3a2df3d0192b1221a7796a714d95.jpeg

38845CC2-C3E2-484E-B4FE-1ECCB5210D94.jpeg.64b1d48315fda20997ed0643f0afdb62.jpeg

F2715A0B-CE59-4ECB-BF0A-063B23F748B2.thumb.jpeg.aa18ad9d1dbfd998f1e5f352e223b014.jpeg

I generally choose the accommodation based on the bike parking and this garage off your bedroom thing they do in Spain is excellent. Don’t have to fully unload your bike or carry your gear miles and can check your bike over easily out of the sun or rain 👍

Next morning we set off for Parla on the edge of Madrid. Again chosen for the car parking. It’s warm and partially cloudy so the 25 degrees when riding feels good. 
A smiley photo before I left Emporio just for @Grasshopper 

03CCC1C0-BFE9-475F-9D75-98A28FF8C14A.thumb.jpeg.5531ea85471a64cb00786d2d17f6ff33.jpeg

How wide are your dustbins?

36 minutes ago, XTreme said:

:classic_unsure:

More fucking trash headed our way then?

Nice report though Caroline.......any shots travelling south through Spain?

Oh they were trash. Rich trash. Draped in Gucci with the flashy logos showing. 

Not a lot of pics Pete. Didn’t stop to take anything scenic. It was just a “Get there before the bikes break” type of thing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I’m struggling with anticipation of wether you get your man in a fight or if it’s all innuendo from Exeter to the south of Spain.

I spent a lot of my younger years ensuring he doesn’t get into a fight so I’m good at recognising the warning signs and manoeuvring him away!

Thing is there are some men who like to fight and they eye up other men thinking about a fighting them. It’s some weird animal dominance thing. 

Mr Slowly doesn’t like violence he thinks it’s grossly uncivilised but he’s just got that look and if fighty men want a fight and they push too much they’ll get one. 

I have to say whatever it is they see in Mr Slowlys eyes mostly has the desired and effect they almost always back off. 

• Like 2

The temperature suddenly soars, dramatically drops and then soars again.

The ride is pleasantly uneventful and I’ve now mastered the necessary combo to get bike into neutral while moving by going down into first knocking it up into second (cos it won’t go into neutral straight from there) then a very very gentle tap down and hey presto it’s in neutral, well maybe you might have to do that two or three times!
It takes a bit longer to master gauging how long before I need to stop to start this process in order to drift the rest of the way to a petrol pump but I get there in the end! 

Modo Apartment Hotel is well reviewed and all brand new with secure underground parking. There’s a supermarket next door and I’m really looking forward to cooking something. Theres only so many days I’m happy to go without hot food or cooking something… about one 😂

The temperature feels off the scale, clothes are flung off as quickly as possible and bags are unpacked fast so nice hot shower and a trip the the next door supermarket can reveal its goodies. Then the power goes off and the suns going down. Soon we will be sat in the dark, sweaty, unwashed and unable to cook. 

Emergency number gal is convinced we’re morons who don’t know what a trip switch looks like so we sit there for an eon with messages flying back n forth. Eventually someone turns up who really is clueless about fuse boxes but finally concedes via a video call it’s buggered. 

Pack everything back up and move to another apartment. An apartment that doesn’t have aircon and is pretty bloody hot. Nevermind, shower, supermarket, steak (mediocre quality) and nice wine. Pasta salad made for tomorrows lunch. I’m happy, alls well.

Checking google maps street view didn’t give an accurate representation of how depressed Parla is. 
Parla isn’t nice. I won’t be stopping there again but I did enjoy having a kitchen and making some decent food. 

7662CACE-4D59-4BCE-AC7B-7A2C54540327.thumb.jpeg.5b82f45ab39c9b53bfaf6dc4d5784a08.jpeg

46C417A6-45B6-4B57-8F85-066261DFE557.thumb.jpeg.37e625450e44260d968df7a85fa729ad.jpeg

The apartment faced onto a square which was quite lively. Lots of people chatting and children playing. That was nice 👍 

75370BD5-B724-4B90-B7F3-E6AE801FFF9F.thumb.jpeg.48a41ea91afa0e0a6d350f31fbbc2627.jpeg
Apparently this is a double bed!

B88BE913-E618-4097-BCAB-E707BCD1F0E2.thumb.jpeg.5f25f2ddbf94616d16870cc292688002.jpeg

ECE5A0D0-D1EF-43DB-BE4A-468AC7E66151.jpeg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I spent a lot of my younger years ensuring he doesn’t get into a fight so I’m good at recognising the warning signs and manoeuvring him away!

Thing is there are some men who like to fight and they eye up other men thinking about a fighting them. It’s some weird animal dominance thing. 

Mr Slowly doesn’t like violence he thinks it’s grossly uncivilised but he’s just got that look and if fighty men want a fight and they push too much they’ll get one. 

I have to say whatever it is they see in Mr Slowlys eyes mostly has the desired and effect they almost always back off. 

Do people like to pick a fight with him? Why?

Umm I don’t really know why I think some fighty men like to measure themselves against other men on that score. They eyeball them thinking could I take him down in a fight and sometimes start posturing. 

His solid build, the cauliflower ear and missing tooth make him look like a fighter. He’s often been asked if he’s a boxer or does martial arts. 

He knows people find his looks a bit scary so he gives people a warm smile as soon as he meets them so they won’t be afraid. 
Sounds awful doesn’t it! To me he doesn’t look scary at all, I don’t understand it but when he was training for Iron man triathlon the sight of him running towards people would make them cross to the other side of the road fast. 

An ex friend of ours Cyclops suffered the worse type of that sort of thing. He was huge and I mean HUGE a proper beefcake. He only ever wanted to be a marine, he loved guns and all things macho so when he actually became a marine he was made up. 

But a regular army guy wanted to test his mettle and started pushing Cyclops about. Cyclops responded as you’d expect and put him on his arse with one push. 
He left the pub and was jumped by six squaddies looking for a bonding experience wanting to “take down a marine” 

They beat the shit out of him, blinded him in one eye and that was that he could no longer be a marine. 

He went quite insane after that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@Slowlycatchymonkey i take it you didn't rotate the handlebar grip so are still having a problem with the clutch. If its cable operated you might be able to take up any free play on the clutch lever to overcome your problem it will just be a further reach to  grab the lever if your ok with that it might work

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

@Slowlycatchymonkey i take it you didn't rotate the handlebar grip so are still having a problem with the clutch. If its cable operated you might be able to take up any free play on the clutch lever to overcome your problem it will just be a further reach to  grab the lever if your ok with that it might work

Thanks 🙏 

I have considered that but I have smallish hands and dodgy ligaments in my thumbs so I’m reluctant. I’m going to try and free up the grip and move the lumpy gubbins out of the way first. 
We arrived yesterday and have just been unpacking n resting. It’s on the immediate todo list just under sit down and rest 😂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thanks 🙏 

I have considered that but I have smallish hands and dodgy ligaments in my thumbs so I’m reluctant. I’m going to try and free up the grip and move the lumpy gubbins out of the way first. 
We arrived yesterday and have just been unpacking n resting. It’s on the immediate todo list just under sit down and rest 😂

Take it to a proper mechanic......you never know if there's any other stupid shit that guy has done.