The Crowhurst Yew

yen_powell

Saw this in my odd places book (like the one Bob bought, but for the civilised counties) but didn't tell my mate where were going, just that it wasn't too far. He lacks my love for old trees or church yards.

Supposedly the oldest Yew tree in England, I have seen estimate of 4,000 years, but also only 1500 years. I climbed inside, the odd looking pictures are of me looking upward. I went inside the church, it was stunningly beautiful inside, painted walls. There was a picture of the Queen and a book of remembrance for her so I filled that out. My mate sat outside, he fears the inside of holy places.

The weird well with the conical thatched roof is near where I live, I keep meaning to stop and take a picture every time I go past. Today I tried but discovered there is a deep nettle filled ditch on the road side and a big hedge stopping me getting any closer or looking down it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowhurst,_East_Sussex

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.46 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.36 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.35.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.34.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.28.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.28.12 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.26.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.26.34.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.26.37.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.22.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 21.00.58.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 21.00.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 16.12.20.jpeg

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Great pics. What are these books you n Bob have got then? They sound great.

This one is

WILD GUIDE (London & South East)

https://wildthingspublishing.com/product/wild-guide-southern-eastern-england-book/

Scrolling down, they do one of southern Spain.

• Like 4

What a cool tree!

To a smaller degree, I share an uneasiness with holy places with your friend. I can go into a curb for a service, a funeral or whatever, and feel normal and welcome, but there's something wrong when I go into a church or a cathedral by myself as a tourist just to look at the building and I feel I shouldn't be there. Maybe god doesn't like that I'm there unsupervised.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

What a cool tree!

To a smaller degree, I share an uneasiness with holy places with your friend. I can go into a curb for a service, a funeral or whatever, and feel normal and welcome, but there's something wrong when I go into a church or a cathedral by myself as a tourist just to look at the building and I feel I shouldn't be there. Maybe god doesn't like that I'm there unsupervised.

Drop some coin in the collection box and you'll be good to go Pedro.

As the late, great George Carlin observed:

“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.

And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

• Haha 3

Just now, XTreme said:

“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.

And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!”

That's not my take on god, though.

My views on god are not certain and do vary according to what day it is, but mostly I believe that we do have values that take hold of us and make us feel guilty for doing shitty things and push us to do good things, regardless of god and a higher power and more according to what we feel as individual humans. I sometimes (rarely) feel there might be a higher being (an entity, not dictator), and on those days I will either feel curious about it, or angry and in need of having serious words with whatever. 

My feelings when entering holy buildings do exist though, regardless of what my brain thinks.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pedro said:

What a cool tree!

I am not a believer in god, I would not usually mention that unless asked though, I think everyone should have their own beliefs and not try and convince others that theirs is the only way. I think behaving decently is mostly common sense, you know when you are doing something wrong usually, you shouldn't need to follow a strange list of instructions from an old book written in a hot environment and then retranslated over and over again.

• Like 5

On 17/09/2022 at 22:32, XTreme said:

Stephen fry sums up god for me in this clip couldn't agree with him more

• Like 3

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

The bit I don't get is how Jesus rose from the dead, how come no one else has ever managed that in the following 2000 odd years ?

Prob something to do with the conservative party again. (or one of the other bunch of self serving twats).

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

The bit I don't get is how Jesus rose from the dead, how come no one else has ever managed that in the following 2000 odd years ?

Because nobody else was the son of god, get with the program Bob i thought you were in church the other day :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

And now i think of it why has no lucky virgin been defiled by god since you'd think he'd be a little horney after 2000 years :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Because nobody else was the son of god, get with the program Bob i thought you were in church the other day :classic_laugh:

I may go to lots of churches but I'm not going in to pray 

cat-nah.gif.cdfab4483ac252d5af1841d05ff2331b.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I forgot to mention, I bought a book when i was inside the church, they had a cardboard box to put the money as no one was in there. Things I leant from the book that I thought was interesting:-

When they hollowed out the tree in the very early 1800s to make a meeting room inside, they found a cannon ball believed to have been fired during the civil war (the real civil war, not a later copy).

The last vicar died in 1983. Since then they have shared a vicar with a few other churches. This last proper vicar studied engineering at Oxford University before WW2, then joined up and took up defusing bombs for the duration, then he returned to Oxford university to study divinity and became a vicar.

Tree experts believe the tree has only another 50 years life left due to damage caused by the hollowing out in 1803.

• Like 4

On 17/09/2022 at 21:03, yen_powell said:

Saw this in my odd places book (like the one Bob bought, but for the civilised counties) but didn't tell my mate where were going, just that it wasn't too far. He lacks my love for old trees or church yards.

Supposedly the oldest Yew tree in England, I have seen estimate of 4,000 years, but also only 1500 years. I climbed inside, the odd looking pictures are of me looking upward. I went inside the church, it was stunningly beautiful inside, painted walls. There was a picture of the Queen and a book of remembrance for her so I filled that out. My mate sat outside, he fears the inside of holy places.

The weird well with the conical thatched roof is near where I live, I keep meaning to stop and take a picture every time I go past. Today I tried but discovered there is a deep nettle filled ditch on the road side and a big hedge stopping me getting any closer or looking down it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowhurst,_East_Sussex

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.46 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.36 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.35.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.34.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 20.39.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.28.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.28.12 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.26.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.26.34.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.26.37.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 18.22.32.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 21.00.58.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 21.00.59.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 16.12.20.jpeg

Those are sacred trees, very, very special. I adore trees, i totally volunteer to go see trees anytime!

• Like 2

On 17/09/2022 at 21:29, XTreme said:

Nice shots Yen!

So you went to see a tree, went to church, and then hung round the graveyard?

Suspicious The Office GIF

Better then what happens in Spain

• Like 1
  • Haha 2