Morocco 2022, building up to it

Pedro

On 30/11/2022 at 04:39, Pedro said:

It’s all good on road, I meant look at the tracks offroad between them, it’s less than half the distance going through Ramlia for example. That’s what I’ll see about doing.

How do you choose the tracks you want to take? Do you simply zoom in on google maps?

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

How do you choose the tracks you want to take? Do you simply zoom in on google maps?

They just make sense when you want to get from town to town, I don’t know. I use google maps like I would a paper map with a lot of definition, but if you want a safer way buy Chris Scott’s book, I looked over it the other way and some of the routes he recommends are roads that just make sense if you look at the Michelin map and choose the less fast and more twisty scenic roads.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Pedro said:

They just make sense when you want to get from town to town, I don’t know. I use google maps like I would a paper map with a lot of definition, but if you want a safer way buy Chris Scott’s book, I looked over it the other way and some of the routes he recommends are roads that just make sense if you look at the Michelin map and choose the less fast and more twisty scenic roads.

I have his Morocco book, very practical advice. I wonder if the Garmin adventure routing works in Morocco, worth a look. 

Also some tracks are tracks, but some proper roads used daily to get to places are not surfaced or with such neglected surface that you wish they weren’t. So just get a michelin map if you ever comethis way and I’ll point you to where you want to go. Or read my report and I’ll post town names. Forget about proper gps and turn by turn navigation unless for cities and finding hotels. Don’t spread it around though, from what I’ve seen my favourite parts are mostly ignored by Morocco travellers in other forums, and it’s good that way :classic_laugh:

Today I ended up not leaving Merzouga afterall, and spent the morning riding around, I’m quite happy at having ridden through oueds with fesh fesh and soft sand and not even having had to stop or use the clutch except to change gears. I’m feeling like Stephane Peterhansel on my dusty boots. Also rode next to camels, had birds come rest on my bike, and was invited for tea by some miners up in a hill. The GS is great for this afterall, and I enjoyed ridingthrough stuff I wasn’t able before.

Two picture upload, that’s taken fore

2E3663AA-82B9-41EB-A04B-C703D1380C5C.thumb.jpeg.347644977f97e803318a168eeb7fa20a.jpeg

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

This one’s worthy of a Simon and Lisa Thomas book… and maybe a Sir Fallsalot photo shopping 😂

image.jpeg

How many times have i got to tell you people its not photo shop its a little enhancement with a touch of Mawsley or whatever his name was LOL

!cid_7DFC2E1F-C03D-4DD1-9DD9-37B2ACD1C262.jpg.6568a336adc55ee1bdbf67e3521a585b.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, boboneleg said:

Fair play to you @Pedro , I'm not scared of riding sand but I'd be clenching my teeth if I were riding your big GS in stuff like that.  You da man :classic_cool:

60ED75DE-7D0E-4EE2-BAAB-733B532BD9B2.thumb.jpeg.c148fc35f66dbbe28589b7e153fb54ca.jpeg.4b65117e929c6ce7fc89786c18a941f6.jpeg

I'd ride mine through that lot, screaming POWER because.....POWER defeats everything 

What could possibly go wrong 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

How many times have i got to tell you people its not photo shop its a little enhancement with a touch of Mawsley or whatever his name was LOL

!cid_7DFC2E1F-C03D-4DD1-9DD9-37B2ACD1C262.jpg.6568a336adc55ee1bdbf67e3521a585b.jpg

It used to be called hot colour and was part of photoshop many moons ago. 

Excellent job, looks amazing, thanks Mawsley.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It used to be called hot colour and was part of photoshop many moons ago. 

Excellent job, looks amazing, thanks Mawsley.

I don't see any difference between the two pictures......

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, busabeast said:

I'd ride mine through that lot, screaming POWER because.....POWER defeats everything 

What would go wrong is you'd eventually get into a tank slapper and end up eating the sand with the GS up your arse 

sand-face-arma3sput-nose-dive.gif.ec4d8a32857c388907f0a8cf0f5bb5f1.gif

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

This is so you! 🥰

• Like 1

23 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Fair play to you @Pedro , I'm not scared of riding sand but I'd be clenching my teeth if I were riding your big GS in stuff like that.  You da man :classic_cool:

60ED75DE-7D0E-4EE2-BAAB-733B532BD9B2.thumb.jpeg.c148fc35f66dbbe28589b7e153fb54ca.jpeg.4b65117e929c6ce7fc89786c18a941f6.jpeg

I am with you there Bob big heavy expensive GS in that sand miles from home.  Much respect Pedro, I think I would be crawling along.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saul said:

I am with you there Bob big heavy expensive GS in that sand miles from home.  Much respect Pedro, I think I would be crawling along.  

That’s the thing, you get scared and you crawl along and then you burn your clutch / front digs in and spits you out / no momentum means not in control in sand. So you ride like you’re not worried about crashing so that you don’t. I was, though!

• Like 4

On 01/12/2022 at 18:46, busabeast said:

Can’t see what good screaming would do, but whatever gets you pumped up!

• Haha 3