A photo you took today.................

boboneleg

35 minutes ago, XTreme said:

What's that Fred?

That's a storm screen in a CSO (Combined Sewer Overflow) meaning surface water can enter the sewer in storm conditions and combine with the sewage and overflow to the environment but go through that screen first,
so stops your rags, sewer mice and big lumps of poo entering the water course it spills to 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's a storm screen in a CSO (Combined Sewer Overflow) meaning surface water can enter the sewer in storm conditions and combine with the sewage and overflow to the environment but go through that screen first, so stops your rags, sewer mice and big lumps of poo entering the water course it spills to 

Fucking stinks I bet Fred?

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

That's a storm screen in a CSO (Combined Sewer Overflow) meaning surface water can enter the sewer in storm conditions and combine with the sewage and overflow to the environment but go through that screen first,
so stops your rags, sewer mice and big lumps of poo entering the water course it spills to 

I read that when the drought thingy is announced water companies they can no longer release sewage into the rivers. Is that true and what do they do with it when that happens?

47 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I read that when the drought thingy is announced water companies they can no longer release sewage into the rivers. Is that true and what do they do with it when that happens?

They are never allowed to release sewage into the rivers that is only supposed to happen in storm conditions when treatment works, CSO's and pumping stations cant take whats going into them. They will always discharge final effluent into them though that is what it is after its all been treated. Apparently its clean enough to drink but nobody i know is willing to try it :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

They are never allowed to release sewage into the rivers that is only supposed to happen in storm conditions when treatment works, CSO's and pumping stations cant take whats going into them. They will always discharge final effluent into them though that is what it is after its all been treated. Apparently its clean enough to drink but nobody i know is willing to try it :classic_laugh:

But they do though dont they, regularly. Last year I rode to Sheppey. It was full of hundreds of dead fish, Wessex water killed an estimated 8000 fish.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/somerset-river-pollution-killed-8000-5741611

I looked it up and even though its only supposed to happed under certain circumstances (the storm stuff you mention) it happens all the time. Unless the Environment Agency is fibbing but I don't think thats their bag. Here's a more recent article. 375,000 times last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/31/sewage-released-into-english-rivers-for-27m-hours-last-year-by-water-firms

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

But they do though dont they, regularly. Last year I rode to Sheppey. It was full of hundreds of dead fish, Wessex water killed an estimated 8000 fish.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/somerset-river-pollution-killed-8000-5741611

I looked it up and even though its only supposed to happed under certain circumstances (the storm stuff you mention) it happens all the time. Unless the Environment Agency is fibbing but I don't think thats their bag. Here's a more recent article. 375,000 times last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/31/sewage-released-into-english-rivers-for-27m-hours-last-year-by-water-firms

Yes but as i said their not allowed to, i didn't say they don't and that's England anyway :classic_laugh: 

the first one was somebody else discharging into the sewer if it comes in and it cant be treated by the time they find out it will already be in the rivers 

image.png.5239dc5905c59d04ab59ef3a351cd4ee.png

the job i am doing at the moment is looking at how sites spill and making sure they record the spill event when it happens and its at the spill point or level its meant to be at but there's a hell of a mess out there, sites are really run down and some no one has visited for years, screens have been removed and not replaced and lots are not working i'm reporting it but don't think anything will be done about it.
Look at this i know its a screen but its not supposed to be full of shit and cable tray probably not run in years and in storm conditions the crap just goes over the top of it un screened

IMG_6615.thumb.JPG.84a72eec03468f43ef12d7dd9818d08b.JPG

Then there was this site overgrown and the kiosk door left open when we chopped our way into it the last entry in the diary was in 2019 when the screen was removed and this is typical of what i'm seeing.

IMG_4399.thumb.JPG.5cc41e85b0c08b9db2b2c0f86a8bad0f.JPG

IMG_4393.thumb.JPG.bdb5622dc2e15a88e7f4f56b1d8c7605.JPG

• Sad 4

44 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes but as i said their not allowed to, i didn't say they don't and that's England anyway :classic_laugh: 

the first one was somebody else discharging into the sewer if it comes in and it cant be treated by the time they find out it will already be in the rivers 

the job i am doing at the moment is looking at how sites spill and making sure they record the spill event when it happens and its at the spill point or level its meant to be at but there's a hell of a mess out there, sites are really run down and some no one has visited for years, screens have been removed and not replaced and lots are not working i'm reporting it but don't think anything will be done about it.
Look at this i know its a screen but its not supposed to be full of shit and cable tray probably not run in years and in storm conditions the crap just goes over the top of it un screened

Then there was this site overgrown and the kiosk door left open when we chopped our way into it the last entry in the diary was in 2019 when the screen was removed and this is typical of what i'm seeing.

That must be a bit disheartening. Why are the screen removed?

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

So how does someone discharge in to the sewer without them knowing about it, commercial interests?

Its easy whatever you stick down a drain ends up in a treatment works everything is automated nobodies watching, you can have lines of pumping stations that pump from one to the other and eventually to the works these pumping stations can be miles apart its usually a factory getting rid of their waste. I remember driving past a works near where i live years ago where some company had dumped detergent down the drains when it got to the aeration lanes there were clouds of foam blowing away the size of cars and kids on the pavement running though it arms spread wide wheee 🤮 :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

All of this shows what happens when owners of utility companies are more interested in profit and paying out shareholders than maintaining their facilities.  Feckin stinks (in more ways than one )

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Would it be better to release final effluent into a secondary reservoir? It could be used for watering crops and all the other things that are currently under threat from water shortage? 

There's no need its clean if there's no breakdown in the process and any sludge is spread on the land as fertiliser so when the process works everything is good

• Like 1

7 hours ago, boboneleg said:

All of this shows what happens when owners of utility companies are more interested in profit and paying out shareholders than maintaining their facilities.  Feckin stinks (in more ways than one )

I like the pun lol

Welsh Water is a not for profit company it doesn't have any shareholders and any surplus cash is reinvested in the company apparently. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I like the pun lol

Welsh Water is a not for profit company it doesn't have any shareholders and any surplus cash is reinvested in the company apparently. 

Sorry Fred, my comment was aimed at Wessex Water

• Like 3

I cant bear it anymore why hasn't anyone asked me about the sewer mice i planted that there thinking somebody would ask.

I have come to 4 conclusions 

1- you never read my post 

2- you don't give a shit

3- you all know what sewer mice are

4- your scared to ask

I don't know why i bother my jokes are wasted on you lot :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2